iPod 60GB

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:42 am
I've recently received an iPod 60GB player that can play video files. I only have one problem, my computer OS is ME and not one of the iPod supported OS (2000 or XP).

Thus I cannot install iTunes.

There is no way I can afford to fork out £100 or more for a new OS, so I was wondering whehter I could just treat the iPod like a USB memory stick and transfer files onto it without using iTunes. Is this possible and if so, is there anything I should be careful of when transfering files?

Thank you in advance for any help rendered.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,397 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:34 am
You can put files on your ipod like that but you won't be able to access them through the ipod. It works sort of like two seperate items: 1.) an mp3/video player and 2.) an external HD.

Using Opera you can navigate the hidden ipod architecture... this is useful for getting files off of your ipod but I am not sure about adding files to it.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:36 am
I found this to add songs but it doesn't support video yet... it's cheaper than a new OS.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:50 am
I was searching the web and eventually found an alternative to iTunes, it's a Winamp plug-in called ml-iPod.

Now all I have to figure out is install it and try it out. But first, I've got to figure out why the "Do not Disconnect" Sign isn't going away despite the fact that the battery seems to be fully charged. The iPod is currently connected to my computer through a USB2.0 port, for a full hour or more now.

And in response to your post about it acting two-ways... Darn it, but it's nice to finally have a decent external HD now.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:58 am
It says "Do Not Disconnect" because it is like attatching a HD to your computer. You need to eject it like you would a normal HD or Flash drive before you disconnect it.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:23 am
Thanks for the help. Now I've got to figure out why I can't get ml-iPod to work, but I'll ask for that info on the Winamp forums.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:33 am
Glad I can help.

Did you see this link?

http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:55 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Glad I can help.

Did you see this link?

http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/

Yup. Apparently, mine is 5th gen so it isn't supported. ml_iPod works great, however. Unfortunately, it only does music (I was hoping to put some webcomics on my iPod) and v1.30 crashes Winamp.

But yeah, I need something that can help put pictures on my iPod too.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:32 pm
This is why I hate iPods. Why do you need a program to put music on it? Why can't I drag and drop the physical files onto it? What is that 60gb doing if not holding the song files? This is silly that iTunes doesnt support ME. Of course all this is avoided if you could just DRAG AND DROP... seems to hard for apple to do though. Luckily for me other mp3 companies have caught on.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:35 pm
I want an IPOD so bad but to spendy right now
0 Replies

bond77770

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 05:56 pm
dont get an Ipod. They are the worst in portable music on the planet. If you want to know why please visit my topic called "Ipods really suck!!"
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:08 am
lol, one of my mates told me the other day how he went to a civil engineering open day, and was asked filled out 'some form' by some random person. He was called a few days later to be informed he had entered a draw for a iPod Video (60GB) and won!

Like that ever happens, sometimes life gives you one.
0 Replies