The answers to your query is "esurient"

Hope this helps.

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 06:14 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Hope you had a great weekend!

I used this particular thread because I knew the message would reach you! Laughing

Could you have a look at the 'Cryptic 101' thread by Swalk56 re:49D. and 66A. for me and double check my answers?

I have finished the Colossus 101 Stinker, but was wondering if I could double check one of my answers with you?

117A. Do a moonlight flit
I have 'decamp'.
The closest definition I can find to the clue is:
Decamp- 1. Leave a place suddenly or secretly.
Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Have a good afternoon.
Talk to you soon.
Take care. Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:57 am
Hi Butterfly

You are indeed "Queen" of the cryptics. Laughing I checked your reply to swalk56 and couldn't agree more. Obviously my answer for 49d makes no sense to me now! I note "lezzles" agrees too. Thank you for correcting me.

You are right with your answer for Colossus Stinker 117a. I also came up with "decamp". Here is my back-up.

"And there is a wonderful British expression, now somewhat long in the tooth but still understood: a moonlight flit. A person who does one of these decamps or moves house under cover of darkness to avoid a debt, usually paying the landlord his rent."
See www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw_moo1.htm

I'm sorry if I'm somewhat tardy in my reply but only just arrived home having been in town all day.

Have a wonderful evening, talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 04:26 am
Hi Dutchy,

Hope you had a nice day in town!

Wanted to catch you and let you know about "anvils" before you sent your cryptic in! Laughing

Thank you for all of the research you posted on 'moonlight flit' for me, much appreciated as always! Very Happy
I feel reassured now with 'decamp' as my answer.

I always worry when I can't find an exact definition of an answer that matches the clue, but you always manage to find them for me, Thanks Dutchy! Cool

I'm about half way through the Holiday 'Stinker', with the 'Cash contest' and 'Double Monster' to follow.

Have a nice evening.
Talk to you soon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 04:55 am
Hi Butterfly

Had not send my Cryptic in as yet, so your note about "anvils" arrived in time! Thank you for that.

I'm like you, not satisfied until I find a definition for my answers, because Lovatts have a habit of hiding some neat double meanings behind their clues. Laughing

Presently tackling Lovatts "Maxi" in People magazine, it is written up as Australia's biggest crossword, and worth $1000.00 each month. Been doing them for at least 10 years and still waiting...... Laughing

Good luck with the Holiday puzzles. You know where to come when stuck.

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:13 am
Hi Dutchy,

It's been a scorcher here today- it was 36 degrees at 4pm!

Good luck with your Lovatts 'Maxi' In people magazine- bet you've finished it already! Laughing

$1000 would come in handy, especially with christmas being so close now! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :wink:

Hope you have a nice evening.
Talk to you soon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:25 am
Hi Butterfly

You must have our weather from yesterday as we scored 38 degrees, luckily a lot cooler today but still very humid.

Still plugging away in People magazine, they are getting harder too, have plenty of time though. Yes, 1000 bucks would come in very handy indeed. Nice of you to keep your fingers crossed for me. Laughing

Enjoy the rest of the week. I would also like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. Very Happy

Talk to you soon, kindest regards
Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:52 am
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you too Dutch! Very Happy
0 Replies