Viking blood

Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:10 pm
Interesting article from the northeast of England.

Scientists charting the history of Romans and Vikings in the region are conducting blood tests to trace the invaders' descendants.

The aim is to establish the biological influences of successive waves of colonisers, including the Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons and Normans.

Viking blood
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,646 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:28 am
A massive DNA Survey was carried out a couple of years ago, with some very interesting results.

This was done in conjunction with a TV documentary series called "The Blood of the Vikings" (BBC, I believe).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/bloodofthevikings/genetics_results_01.shtml
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:33 am
....and speaking of tracing one's lineage through the miracle of DNA testing.....

http://www.standardtimes.com/daily/03-97/03-09-97/a09wn056.htm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:55 am
we have aterrible illegal viking immigration problem here in the US. They keep sneaking in by the Bering Straits
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm
Lordoftheastonishinglycoylink, that has got to be the cheesiest story you've ever posted . . .
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:02 am
William the Conqueror was a Norman (Norse) i.e. a Viking from France.
0 Replies

Jock

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 01:32 am
Well sort of , in a roundabout , loose , 200 years later , forgot how to sail , can't speak Norse , generations removed kind of way .... Cool
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:37 pm
William the Conqueror?

By that logic, being a descendant of Norwegian immigrants,I'M a Viking!

Which would explain the penchant for looting, pillaging and carrying off beautiful women....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:10 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
William the Conqueror?

By that logic, being a descendant of Norwegian immigrants,I'M a Viking!

But it's a very true logic - in the case of William at least. (Great-great-son of the Viking Rollo - that's why NORMANDY is called Normandy :wink: )
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:12 pm
Yes and, as the great grandson of Norwegians presumably descended from said Vikings themselves, that's my point. William really wasn't much more Viking than I.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:17 pm
Well, betwen Hastings and the Treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte (where Rollo was forced to accept Christianity) are more than 150 years - but the Dukes of Normandy always were referred to their Norsk (= Viling) origin by contempory historians.
Only about 1000 they stopped speaking "Norse" and started to speak "French".

Of course, to settle in that foreign country, they "married locally", if that's what you mean.
0 Replies

Jock

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:59 am
well , to call them viking is rather a stretch . Rollo may have been from Norway , but it seens that most of his army were from Denmark , and they arrived by land , on horses .
Going a'viking was by sea .....

Vikings were from a time and place ,
So 6 generations later , viking ? , no not them .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 07:19 am
Jock wrote:
Rollo may have been from Norway , but it seens that most of his army were from Denmark , and they arrived by land , on horses .
Going a'viking was by sea .....

Not going deep into historic facts, so here in short from Wikipeida:
Quote:
Vikings were Norse, Icelandic and Danish warriors who raided the coasts of Scandinavia, the British Isles, and other parts of Europe from the late 8th century to the 11th century. This period of European history (generally dated to AD 793 - AD 1066) is often referred to as the Viking Age.

They came of course origianally by ship/sea - from where do you get that they arrived by land?

(In 820, the Vikings arrived for the first time, along the Seine, with 13 ships.
Later, they started to over-winter in camps on several islands in the Seine, Jeufosse being the most important.)

As a short reading before you post some nonsense again:
Batey, C., Clarke, H., Page, R.I., Price, N.S. (Eds): Cultural Atlas of the Viking World, New York, 1994
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:18 am
Temper, temper, Walter! :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:24 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Temper, temper, Walter! :wink:

Well, sometimes - and I'm sorry that it happened just now, so excuse that please, Jock - I'm getting annoyed with all this pseudo-knowledge especially about "fashion history" like about the Celts and the Vikings. :wink:
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:44 am
I thought for a minute your Viking blood was up and you were about to go all berserker on us!

From the fury of the Norsemen and Walter, the good Lord protect us! Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:46 am
I will protect you, but it will cost.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:05 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I will protect you, but it will cost.
To tax the community for the advantage of a class is not protection: it is plunder. --Benjamin Disraeli
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:10 am
"Never do owt for nowt" - Ellpus the Groper (1632-1715)
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:49 am
"Kill the men, ravish the women, steal everything that isn't nailed down and burn whatever is left. But everybody REMEMBER where we parked." Blacksmithn the Red, upon sighting England (approx. 878 A.D.).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Viking blood
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 05:29:34