Symmetry of Species

stuh505

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:30 pm
From the fewest celled organisms up to the largest, mammals, reptiles, from prehistory to the present...it seems that every organism to ever live has been symmetric.

Presumably, this is because the information could be stored in half the DNA....or maybe because so much of these organisms are constructed through cellular automota, but it seems that there should be some examples where this is not the case, because I see nothing to make it impossible, and it seems that there would be some situations where it would be benefficial to be assymetric
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 610 • Replies: 4
No top replies

username

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:42 pm
Depends on what level of organization you're talking about. Single-cell organisms aren't symmetric. A lot of organisms are radially symmetric (e.g. starfish). Go to google and ask something like "why are most organisms symmetric?". Here's one that talks about it: http://www.eb.tuebingen.mpg.de/dept4/meinhardt/web_org/hy-hea-brain.htm
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:59 pm
adult halibut or flounder?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:08 pm
Re: Symmetry of Species
stuh505 wrote:
From the fewest celled organisms up to the largest, mammals, reptiles, from prehistory to the present...it seems that every organism to ever live has been symmetric.

It's an interesting question. Sponges are asymmetrical. And a few other thing are as well, but they are certainly in the minority among living things.

Early cells may have evolved as a result of DNA incorporation into small bubbles in lipid solutions. Since bubbles are symmetrical, there might be a tendency to follow a pattern. Also, water has characteristics which lead to symmetry (hexagonal bonds split symmetrically).

Rather than simply looking for exceptions to the rule of symmetry in biology, I suppose the real question is, "why the preponderance of symmetry".
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:34 pm
Quote:
Rather than simply looking for exceptions to the rule of symmetry in biology, I suppose the real question is, "why the preponderance of symmetry".

Well, I think this is because its a more efficient way of encoding...so it allows the dna to hold more data. also if you have different dna segments representing both sides, then an evolutionary change that affected both sides would be twice as improbable
0 Replies