Ok, So What Are These Genre's???

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:27 am
Maybe I am "so not hip" but what are these genre's?

Alternative Indie
Industrial Electro
New Wave Disko Revival
Britpop

Thanks!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 841 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:34 am
me! me! britpop that's oasis, pulp, blur and the like. singable melodic, yet still in the rock world...with that funny accent....

..... i think.....

the rest is a spanish village to me (now there's a slovak idiom for you)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:37 am
dagmaraka wrote:
me! me! britpop that's oasis, pulp, blur and the like. singable melodic, yet still in the rock world...with that funny accent....

Who knew I listened to Britpop. Cool.
Thanks!
Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
oic

It's oasis, pulp, and blur. That sure cleared it up for me, too.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 12:06 pm
Labels on music are generally silly and really, anybody could probably make up better definations but I'll take a stab at it.

Industrial generally means noise, loud muddled kaotic durges with the 'electro' - keyboard/synth poppyish sounds laid over top. House music inspired by tools.

Alternative indie is wierd stuff commercial radio/recording companies couldn't even contemplate. Could be anything from spoken word to yoko ono like screeching to a bongo played by a tone deaf, one armed chimpanzee. Mostly though, it just musicians who don't fit into any 'real' catagory.

New Wave Disko Revival is dance stuff that revives and reuses classic or familiar riffs from popular music - disco from the seventies or new wave from the 80's. Eg. A Donna Summer song stretched out, played with, more beats added could become a 8 minutes dance tune.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:22 pm
Ceili wrote:

Alternative indie is wierd stuff commercial radio/recording companies couldn't even contemplate. Could be anything from spoken word to yoko ono like screeching to a bongo played by a tone deaf, one armed chimpanzee.

Shocked God I hope not.....we are going to a club and that is one of the types of music they advertise.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:38 pm
You should be fine. I'm sure the entertainment will be wonderful. The band just doesn't have a major contract signed. The band probably has a CD or two, a couple of t-shirts and a dream. Enjoy.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:43 pm
dag's right about the brit pop

to me alternative and indie are one in the same, i think of bands like death cab for cutie, franz ferdinand, bloc party

industrial electro, like nine inch nails but not so morose

new wave disko revival, hmm, there is a new breed pf band who are mining the new wave and disco era sound, groups like the scissor sisters, bloc party (again), radio 4
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:48 pm
From Allmusic.com

Electro-Industrial artists are conspicuous by their general refrain to use the thrash guitars that dominated industrial crossover bands like Nine Inch Nails and Ministry. Groups including Cubanate, Leætherstrip, :wumpscut:, Haujobb, Kill Switch...Klick, and Mentallo & the Fixer focus more on the experimental and electronic edge of industrial music, emphasizing the influence of pioneering industrial bands like Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, and Front 242, instead of the tired Black Sabbath-fests displayed on many "industrial" albums. In America, Metropolis Records is known for its electro-industrial recordings.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:02 am
Well, it ended up being things like the Cure, the Killers, Nine Inch Nails and a bunch of other bands I didn't know.

I was drinking cosmos so.....didn't notice a whole lot more than that!!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:21 am
The only label that doesn't sound like a marketing ploy is britpop, which has been around since the early 80s. So don't forget those old schoolers like The Stone Roses and Ned's Atomic Dustbin!

The others just sound like versions of indie rock--which is obsolete now since "indie" bands are all signing to major labels. Most of it should just be called "pussycore," but that's my opinion.

New wave disco revival? wait wait waitjustaminute.

Wasn't new wave born out of punk and post punk? Wasn't one of the great things about punk is that it rebelled against disco in the late 70s?

New wave is like Talking Heads and then the diet caffiene free new wave one hit wonders like Human League, right?

And then electrorock I've heard before. But doesn't "electronic" just about sum it up? Bands like the Faint and Ladytron. I guess I don't know so much about that genre.

Anyways, these classifications change every single day. They're pretty much meaningless.

Except for Britpop! I'll always have that guilty pleasure.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:02 pm
The stone roses were a crossover band (I remember us calling them that) because the blended house (from the Hacienda in Manchester) with alt/indie rock. In fact, wasn't the whole scene 'Madchester'. The Ned's defy that categorisation I reckon - not a dance band, not narrowly rock... you can grey cells green...

Maybe new wave disco revival was two genres!

ie New Wave - and - disco revival

Coz I agree with Garg about New Wave
0 Replies