Does the Earth orbit around where the Sun was 8.5 mins ago?

gungasnake

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:39 am
raprap wrote:
ad-hominems like this?
gungasnake wrote:
I've mentioned this on at least one previous thread, but it bears repeating. There is a little club consisting of authors of dead theories from previous centuries, including Chuck Darwin, Chuck's a$$hole cousin Thomas Malthus, Marx, Engels, Freud, Rachel Carson, Paul Ehrlich, all the losers running around worrying about "global warming", and it seems highly likely to me that a membership is being reserved for Albert Einstein as well.

Rap

That's only an ad-hominem if you think the losers worrying about "global warming" would be better off not being told they're losers...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:55 am
Lest anybody think that G-day or anybody has shown that it's only Tom Van Flandern trying to claim that gravity propagates faster (a whole lot faster) than C...

Try a simple google search on "instantaneous gravity" and check out some of what turns up. For instance:

http://www.blazelabs.com/f-p-inst.asp

Quote:

If the gravitational force between the sun and the earth were aberated, then gravitational forces tangential to the earth's orbit would result, causing the earth to spiral away from the sun, due to conservation of angular momentum. Current astronomical observations estimate the phase speed of gravity to be greater than 2x10^10c.

In other words, not only is gravity at least two times ten to the tenth power faster than C, but were it not, the Earth would break away from the sun and G-day's ass and the asses of everybody else who thinks gravity propagates at C would freeze. That is an extreme case of being lucky about being wrong.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 04:35 pm
On the torque thing you're speaking to someone with 5 years Physics, Engineering background who topped mathematics at Sydney University and I just don't see it.

Try as I might I see the Earth following curved spacetime with the centre of the curve where we see the Sun, that is moving with our galaxy towards the great attractor at roughly 600km per second. Depending on your perspective you are probably travelling aboput 900 km / sec right now through space - so what?

Back to the Earth and the Sun, I think the mathematics of a regressed Sun causing significant torque once you consider GR is either wrong or vastly overstated. From th einitial link in the advanced physics forum I gave you, my POV was:

http://www.advancedphysics.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3001

Quote:
But in any stable system geometry saves you. As the point of suspension of a stable system is the balance point between the two bodies - like a see-saw with different weights on both end - there will be a clear point of suspension.

Now add a propagation delay speed, it equally affects both bodies so by symmetry. Lets consider the simplest case - two equal massive bodies orbiting in a perfect circle.

Given the bodies have equal mass, they are both equally recessed in where they see the balance point is. So body A sees B as being at B minus x degrees and A sees B as being at A minus x degrees, so retract this equal vector from each and re adjust the balance point (and simply you have a circle centred on an origin, move two opposite points one forward x degrees and one backwards x degrees and your centre is still the balance point). That is the simplest case. It works rather nicely.

Now consider most objects in the Universe orbit their suns if stably in an ellipsoid, bound by Kepler's laws of motion. I wonder if the same effect applies? The recession vector is the same for each body as the distance is the same - each sees the other as x degrees behind its true position. So the suspension point is still stable.

From my perspective we see the Sun as it was about 8.5 minutes ago, and given gravity propogates at the same speed as light, we are falling directly towards what we are seeing. If gravtiy was instaneous with the right equipment you should be able to see a noticeable deflection in where we are falling vs where the Sun appears to be.

Xerxes from Columbia University who administers these boards replied

Quote:
Xerxes314
Administrator

I looked up the "technical reference" at the end of the FAQ (T. Damour, in Three Hundred Years of Gravitation) and can vouch for the fact that the explanations are extremely technical. There is no particularly good intuitive way of understanding these effects. To briefly sum up current understanding:

1) The gravitation field is retarded.
2) The effects of that field on a body are modified in such a way that it appears Newtonian in the weak-field, low-velocity limit.
3) There is an effect due to the bodies moving around: gravitational radiation. This comes in as velocity to the fifth or something.

To the Earth Sun rotation we fall towards what we are seeing. The Sun isn't moving that fast relative to our Solar system, its too heavy to be influenced much by all the planets gavity combined acting on its mass. This is where this torque arguement breaks down as the gravitational forces we project on our massive Sun are rather miniscule from its perspective. A bowling ball held in you arm has a greater gravitiational effect on you than the Sun, so what are you supposing all our combined planets are doing to change the Sun's point of gravitational suspension? Do you think they change the balance point more than a tiny astronomical unit? Jupiter is 500 million miles away from the Sun and 1/1000th the mass, its the Sun's mass that totally dominates our motion though space.

From http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/solarsys.html page 143, sentence 4 under Reduced Mass "The Sun and the Earth are both rotating about their common centre of mass. From a great distance this would not be very obivious since the centre of Mass is inside the Sun".

Read that again, the centre of rotational mass for the Earth / Sun argument is inside the Sun. Inside the largely gaseous / plasma, rotating Sun. Earth shifts the point of gravitational suspension of the Sun about 150 km towards us (well within its 695,000km diameter)! Account for that in your torque model and see how it breaks everything down.

Remember also that our solar system is an n-body problem and hence inherently chaotic and unstable to some extent. And it exists as just 1 star and 10 planets in a galaxy of 200 billion stars that is gravitational trapped and rotating - measuring purposed angular deflection would be absurbly challenging given all the variables.

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/solarsys.html

Instanteous gravity folk looking at the Sun fail to realise they purpose a problem without account to the n-body problem, which Laplace showed can't be integrated (generally solved) - so technically nuts to them for their poor mathematics!

Finally the simplest way to show that gravity isn't instanteous is to see we exist and so does our Universe. From big bang physics it is extremely obivious this couldn't occur unless the Big Bang's shock front, and most of unfolding spacetime, actually out-raced its own gravity wave (which due to inflation it did for the first 10 ^ -35 of a second, then eventually galaxies started to clump gravitational together.) However today most of space is gravitational dis-connected from the rest of space!

But take you back to why does the Big Bang disprove instantenous gravity? Well the Schwarzchild radius for just our Sun alone is 3km, compess it to under that and you have a black hole. For a bigger Sun its considerably larger. For the Universe itself say 10^26 stars at 10^30 kg each the Scharzchild radius is = 2GM/c^2 = 2 * 10 ^-11 * 10^26 * 10^30/10^16 = 2* 10^29 meters or 10^14 light years. (We believe the Universe is 13.8 billion years old).

So if gravity was instantaneous then a second after the Universe was created its gravity propogated to create a black hole of radius about 10^14 light years, and we are inside it - yet I don't feel crushed to a singularity myself right now. The Big Bang wouldn't have lasted a second - it would have been the Big crunch if gravity was instantenous!

During inflation for a trillionith of a trillionith of a trillionith of a second spacetime blew apart at around 50,000 lightspeed until a phase change occurred and relativity kicked in. At this point given gravity propogates only at lightspeed the gravity wave / field from each of the universe's pieces couldn't catch up to each other and we avoided a big crunch. If gravity was instanteous it would have caught all the pieces whilst the Universe was smaller than a basketball, that's how big it was when inflation stopped.

As it is the expansion of the Universe is actually accelerating, something that can't happen with gravity travelling faster than light. But it cetrainly can through geometry alone (forget even dark matter or energy) if gravity travels at c and more of the Universe is past us then it is towards our original epicentre and we are experiencing more of its residual receding gravity shock wave too!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 04:55 pm
Re: Does the Earth orbit around where the Sun was 8.5 mins a
g__day wrote:
If the Sun suddenly wasn't there we'd keep orbit around were it last was 8.5 minutes ago for 8.5 minutes until we noticed it was gone!

Your question is flawed.

No one on earth would notice the sun was gone because there would be no earth from which to observe. Our planet would have been consumed by the sun in it's final explosion.

BBB
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 06:12 pm
Gone, not exploded, gone - quantum tunneled into another reality in a great fit of improbability. Yes there is a chance this could happen - but it is extremely remote by the way! Quantum mechanics certainly allows for this to happen.

It's a thought experiment. If I wanted a supernova I'd have mentioned it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 06:31 pm
g-day
g__day wrote:
Gone, not exploded, gone - quantum tunneled into another reality in a great fit of improbability. Yes there is a chance this could happen - but it is extremely remote by the way! Quantum mechanics certainly allows for this to happen.

It's a thought experiment. If I wanted a supernova I'd have mentioned it.

I can't think when a supernova has fried my pitiful brain.

BBB
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:28 pm
g__day wrote:
On the torque thing you're speaking to someone with 5 years Physics, Engineering background who topped mathematics at Sydney University and I just don't see it.

Shame you didn't learn anything in all of that...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:43 pm
It isn't really like I can't see why this one causes such anguish amongst the faithful.....

For instance, picture the sun being a sentient being with some form of locomotion sufficient to change its location by, say, 500 miles in a hundredth of a second or so. It could then do those little motion changes in such a way as to beat out a message in Morse code and we could detect that message and read it in substantially less than the eight and a half seconds light would take to get here from the sun. That would certainly convince most people that relativity was a bunch of BS...

One other thing I notice is that even the yuppies at Wiki aren't as totally wrong about what they're saying as g-day herre is:

Quote:

The gravitational field is equated with the curvature of space-time, and propagations, including gravity waves, can be shown, according to this theory, to travel at a single speed, cg.

That isn't really wrong. The claim is that gravity WAVES, assuming they exist, would propagate at C, which is correct, while gravity itself is described as a curvature in space/time, whatever that's supposed to mean, nonetheless it's obvious that's not really a claim that all the experiments showing gravity to act instantaneously are somehow wrong.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 02:48 am
Your understanding of physics is obivously painfully lacking. I guess I am talking to an interested lay person rather than anyone with deep formal scientific training or knowledge of astrophysics, relativity or cosmology.

You appear unfit to be able to discuss this on an informed, let alone a trained level. You are tossing around ideas with no apparent understanding of the framework the creator of these ideas expouses.

Explain why the BB didn't implode if your gravity field is instantenous.

Explain how the torque in your argument holds sway in an n-body situation where most of the torque is happening inside a non-solid Sun.

Explain how a gravitational field comes into instaneous existence without need to propogate?

And yes your right if the Sun could do what you espoused then GR would need adjustment. But it can't is the problem with your spectulation and more then you can go back in time to retract your ridiculous ponderings.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 07:59 am
g__day wrote:
Your understanding of physics is obivously painfully lacking.

BWWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAHAAaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa......
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 11:47 am
g__day wrote:
Your understanding of physics is obivously painfully lacking. I guess I am talking to an interested lay person rather than anyone with deep formal scientific training or knowledge of astrophysics, relativity or cosmology.

You appear unfit to be able to discuss this on an informed, let alone a trained level. You are tossing around ideas with no apparent understanding of the framework the creator of these ideas expouses.

Explain why the BB didn't implode if your gravity field is instantenous.

Basically, all I've heard from you so far is boasting and ad-hominems. I'm assuming you mean the term "BB" to mean the so-called "big bang" and not Brigette Bardot. Turns out, the big bang is just as big a bunch of bullshit as evolution and relativity:

http://www.cosmologystatement.org
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067974049X/002-7719451-5617610?v=glance&n=283155

Like I say, I have yet to see you even think about addressing any of the point's I've brought up.

You could start with the Podkletnov experiment and the USAF/Boeing GRASP (Gravity Reduction and Advanced Space Propulsion) project. That's clearly a waste of taxpayer dollars if what Einstein had to say about gravity is correct.

Have you called your congressmen and senators to complain yet and, if not, why not?

I mean, one of the interesting things about the US military is that they are tasked with the protection of the nation and do not have the luxury of worrying about whose science paradigms they might be stepping on in fulfilling that mandate.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 03:38 pm
1. I'm not American so I don't care how you waste your money. Check up I think you'll find the story somewhat badly reported and overstated - despite massive evidence to the contary your miltary does occassionally learn to control its investments.

2. GRASP is as lame as your arguments, go invent invisibility paint while you're at it

3. You have yet to refute or respond to any of my serious scientific flaws in your thinking, showing I was right and simply put you can't and probably don't have the training to even attempt to argue this with someone who has such knowledge.

4. You seem impervious to wisdom and learning unless its radical, how nice for you and your commune.

Thank you for hijacking an interesting thread and filling it with such undefended garbage. Go away, think, learn, then come back more fit to contribute rather than spout such lunacies which you don't appear to even partially understand.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 04:56 pm
Anybody who wants to really understand this thing about gravity and how fast it propagates should check out several of the pages on metaresearch, particularly this:

http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/speed_of_gravity.asp

Basically, all of the experimental data indicates without the slightest ambiguity that gravity propagates instantaneousl.y to within our ability to measure it.

That also says that every time you take five steps, you send a message which somebody light years away could read if he had instruments sensitive enough, and that message travels instantaneously and not at C. That also says that relativity is a pile of bullshit.

Sorry, G-Day, but that's really the way it is.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 06:20 pm
Dictionary: Gungasnake:

(noun) full of it, not even good sh1t at that
(verb) to talk through ones hat, to sprout nonsense the talker does not even understand as a newly arrived learning
(ad-verb) to colourfully vomit faith and radical thinking or psuedo-science as rational science
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:53 pm
Just some amateur thoughts...feel free to harpoon...

I remember reading that one of the many theories under the big bang umbrella suggests that the bang itself was not uniform thus creating "ripples" in space time (as detected by KOBE in the 90's I think) and that the vast majority of matter/anti-matter created did not escape from the big bang itself...the universe we have is just the spillage.

Also, if the presence of matter distorts or stretches space-time , there is no reason why it couldn't be instantaneous, if no matter or energy need to be transmitted anywhere.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:42 pm
Eorl wrote:
Just some amateur thoughts...feel free to harpoon...

I remember reading that one of the many theories under the big bang umbrella suggests that the bang itself was not uniform thus creating "ripples" in space time (as detected by KOBE in the 90's I think) and that the vast majority of matter/anti-matter created did not escape from the big bang itself...the universe we have is just the spillage.

Also, if the presence of matter distorts or stretches space-time , there is no reason why it couldn't be instantaneous, if no matter or energy need to be transmitted anywhere.

The "big bang" is another fairytale for grown people.

http://cosmologystatement.org/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067974049X/002-2854442-7760827?v=glance&n=283155

http://www.electric-cosmos.org/arp.htm
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 05:52 am
Eorl

Relativity says you can't transmit information faster than light pseed. If the presence of matter or energy was detectable instanteous at any distance you'd have invalidated relativity totally.

Yes it is unlikely the BB would have been totally uniform, so minor fluctations could end up being galaxies or empty space. KOBE does indeed show this evidence clearly. And there is so much evidence of inflation during the big bang that every other theory is ruled out.

Plasma physics theories for creation simply don't survive the heirachy problem. Too one of the standing criticisms of the big bang is where is the dark matter and dark energy. Well do do you detect dark matter if no energy is falling on it and its too far away to see? How do we measure the weight of the Kupiter belt and Ourt cloud as an example of calculating just our solar systems mass? And dark energy isn't the only recipe for explaining accelerating expansion of spacetime, I ponder that geometry of the Big Bang itself could readily do that given gravity travels around lightspeed as observations show.

Gunga - why do you choose to believe one or two remote folk who haven't yet published any theories or proof over the totality of mainstraeam science? Strange given you've shown you don't understand the subject matter in question.

How did this thread get hijacked so quickly?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:49 am
g__day wrote:
Eorl

Relativity says you can't transmit information faster than light pseed.

That pretty much says that relativity is a bunch of bullshit, just like evolution. I mean, I hate having to go on disillusioning you people, but reality is what it is.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:13 pm
g_day,

If you can't move matter itself faster than light, is there a situation where gravity would be required to act faster than light, even if it could?
0 Replies

g day

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:27 pm
Eorl -

About the only theoretical situation requiring instaneous gravity to make it work is the "Big Crunch" meaning the gravitational crunch of all spacetime - the opposite of the Big Bang.

But we seem to be heading towards the "Big Fade" - continuous expansion of spacetime forever, and its accelerating faster and faster as time progresses.

This alone should help folk who want to believe in instantenous gravity see the errors of their ways. You see the Big Bang postulates for the briefest of time the Universe expanded far faster than lightspeed, that's called Inflation. It lasted about one trillion, trillion trillionth of a second (UK trillion 10^12 not US trillion 10^9). During inflation the universe expands from the size of a neutron to the size of an orange ~ about 50,000 faster than lightspeed. This occured in a non-relativistic framework. At temperatures above 10^32 Kelvin we theorise the four forces combine into a single force quantum gavity with its own sets of rules and behaviours under Super Symmetry (SuSy). After inflation such rapid gaining in size cools the Universe to the point (10^19 GeV) where quantum gravity breaks into two forces (gravity escapes first), then electromagnetic force seperates from combined nuclear at around 10^14 GeV and finally around 200 GeV nuclear breaks into strong and weak forces - giving us the four forces that define a relativist framework.

But go back to where the Universe is now the size of an orange and relativity holds sway. No matter can exist as the temperatures are too high, everything is pure energy of some form. As Gunga believes plasmas could have been dominant and this is one of a number of reasonable models. However both energy and matter are equivalent, and they both cause gravitational fields. Think all the Universe squeezed into an orange sized area, switch on gravity then and make it instanteous -> this has to lead to an instant big crunch; there is no possible way the Universe can continue expanding if gravity travels faster than lightspeed. Put simply the event horizon for the calculated mass of the universe is almost its present diameter - billions of lightyears; scrunch everything into the volume of an orange and you swallow all of existence into a black hole.

But if gravity was lightspeed limted the expansion of the Universe works rather well. The expansion started off faster than lightspeed, slowed down to lightspeed after the Universe gets to the size of an orange, gravity seperates out and turns on but has to radiate outwards to retard something that is expanding from all directions just as fast as the gravitational field itself can propogate. Therefore simple geometry will show you gravity from any part of this orange sized universe just can't reach any other part of the universe except for the very, very, very near neighbours. So most of the universe doesn't feel its own potential gravity field - the explosion outraces its own gravity wave.

With instanteous gravity this simply can't happen.

Einstein said in a "relativistic framework" you can't move "information" faster than lightspeed.

As per the above "relativistic framework" means the four forces hold, so this implies the unit of study is larger than a Planck volume 10^ -99 metres cubed, lower energy than a quantum gravity framework (10^19 GeV) and in consideration for greater than a Planck moment (10^-35 seconds). Stay within those bounds and you are relativistically bound. The only places that might not be relativitic therefore are 1) quantum foam 2) inside a black hole or cosmic strings event horizon and 3) anywhere inside the universe prior to the inflationary era ending. Possibly spacetime itself between galaxies is not relativistically bound, but study (e.g. MOND) still is on-going on that one and the deviation from relativity is in the order of a0 = 1.2 x 10-10 m s-2, i.e., about one Angstrom per second per second. This is one part in 10^11 of what we feel on the surface of the Earth (so very, very, very tiny) until you distance is beyond galactic scales.

"information" in the above sentence means just that structured knowledge - even one bit of information. Using the uncertainity principle you might be able to get something for a brief, discernible period to exceed lightspeed, but it has to be short lived and too chaotic and random to carry information (alah quantum foam fluctions can occur within a Planck moment - but nothing else can by our models).

Hope this helps you understand the Big Bang model and some of the many reasons against instanteous gravity fields
0 Replies