norse mythology

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 06:24 am
Question in norse mythology, what is the name of the powerful dwarf who, to satisfy his own greed, turns himself into a dragon in order to steal a hoard of gold?
I have two answers, that i think may be right, and of course i have to come up with just one of these.
Is there anybody that can help me please, perhaps to confirm one of my answers. I have posted this on the reference forum, and got a bit of a rebuff from one of the other members!!
Can't keep everybody happy i suppose!!!! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,040 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 06:38 am
No rebuff, Boss, just an observation . . .
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 07:04 am
Ok again!! Lets hope it gets sorted!!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 07:47 am
Hi Justaclue

I suggest the answer is Fafnir: See Wikepedia extract below.

In Norse mythology, Fafnir was a son of the dwarf king Hreidmar and brother of Regin and Otr. In the Volsunga saga, Fafnir was a dwarf gifted with a powerful arm and fearless soul. He wore the Aegis helmet and guarded his father's house of glittering gold and flashing gems. He was the strongest and most aggressive of the three brothers.

After Otr was killed by Loki, Hreidmar received the cursed gold of Andvari's as repayment for the loss of his son. Fafnir and Regin then killed their father to get the gold, but Fafnir decided he wanted it all, turning into a dragon (symbol of greed). Regin then sent his foster-son, Sigurd, to kill the dragon. Sigurd succeeded, but then killed Regin too, upon learning that he had planned to kill him once he had recovered the gold.
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 07:53 am
That certainly seems like the answer i need, it gives more information than i found before.
Thanks for that
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:28 am
From another source it has been suggested to me IVALDI does this mean anything to you, again i can't tie all the facts to this question??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:17 am
Ivaldi is a deit in Germanic and Anglo-Saxon mythology.

Quote:
He and his sons Brokk, Eitri and Sindri -- known collectiveley the Vatlings or the Sons of Ivaldi -- were responsible for creating many magical treasures for the Æsir, including the ship Skíðblaðnir. Ivaldi's son Volund, the Anglo-Saxon Wayland, forged the Mistillteinn, the sword that cut the haft off of Thor's hammer, Mjollnir. This same sword is the one Hotherus (also Höðr, Svipdag) used in slaying Baldr. The myth evolved in later traditions, in which Höðr is a blind god, deceived by Loki, and Baldr dies by an arrow made of mistletoe.

Ivaldi and the Vatlings fell out of favor with the gods when they came in the possession of the much-coveted Kvasir's blood, the Mead of Poetry.
source: Wikipedia
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
Thanks, i don't think that is the one i want then!!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:57 pm
Justaclue

Post your ultimate choice, I'm intrigued.
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 03:50 pm
Well having done some more research on this, i have decided that Fafnir is the answer to the question, so thanks to everybody for their help and look forward to connecting with you all again!!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 04:01 pm
I entered this thread in good faith, thinking that it was all about Nurse Mythology.

I find myself bitterly disappointed once again.
0 Replies