Quantum computing take a leap forward

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 11:12 pm
First quantum byte created

The Institute of Quantum Optics and Quantum Information at the University of Innsbruck in Austria has created an entanglement of eight quantum particles, yielding a quantum byte or "qubyte", or eight qubits. This is an important step toward the realization of a practical quantum computer, which would use superposed quantum states to perform complex calculations. A detailed writeup of this work is available in English and German. The formal paper was published in the December 1st issue of Nature.

Contributors to the breaktrough are researchers from IQOQI under the supervision of Rainer Blatt and Hartmut Häffner in coaction with Otfried Gühne and Wolfgang Dür of the Innsbruck research group directed by Hans Jürgen Briegelhave.

With a trap using magnetic fields they captured eight calcium ions, lined them up, and set up them in "W states" using a complicated laser technology. A quantum byte with eight ions provides a computing matrix of 65,536 (0-255 x 0-255) elements that are mostly independent. It is suggested that the method should be scalable so that the number of ions could be increased. This experiment proves that the kind of ion traps used in Innsbruck are the most promising technology for the realization of large computing matrices.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 736 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Red888

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:42 am
That was an interesting read, thanks. I wish I could understand the science. Quantum Physics I presume? I'm not quite there yet.
0 Replies

ohnono

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:57 am
sigh, we have to go through the entire computer revolution all over again but with quantum technology.

For example you can bet that the first quantum computers will fill entire rooms just as the first digital computers did.

And you can bet that the first quantum computers will seem amazing, just as the first digital computers did.

And you can bet that 40 years after these first giant quantum computers there will be much faster laptop versions.

At least we can skip the whole punch card thing phase.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:42 pm
Oh man, imagine what it would be like to have a laptop on your lap that's nothing more than a keyboard, and all the guts are kept inside a box at your house where the computations are done before they get transmitted instantly to your house. That'd be AWESOME.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:18 pm
Re: Quantum computing take a leap forward
DrewDad wrote:
A quantum byte with eight ions provides a computing matrix of 65,536 (0-255 x 0-255) elements that are mostly independent.

What do they mean by "mostly independent"?

If each qubit isn't selectable to on/off, then they won't be able to make the basic digital system work.

Also, if they flip one qubit in the qubyte then somewhere else, a matching entangled qubit must flip. Where is that matching qubit? Do they have another entangled qubyte some distance away, or is the original qubyte entangled with itself somehow (and how is that useful)?

Thx,
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:31 pm
Got me. I know something of what quantum computing is supposed to accomplish, but the hows of it escape me.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:35 pm
I am pretty curious about this myself...I've taken only a little quantum physics and did a little reading on quantum computing but I still don't understand the principle of it.

That's why I'm taking another course in quanta and also a course in quantum computing next semester, so maybe I will be able to help explain later on.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 05:00 pm
I thought the idea was to use entanglement as a superfast method for transmitting data states from one place to another.

Entanglement *seems* to imply faster than light transfer of information, but something I read stated that it's only an *apparent* instantaneous transfer due to some interpretation of quantum change. But I don't understand it. And I wish I did.

This article doesn't say much about using entanglement as a data conduit however, instead it seems to imply that the quantum states themselves are used to represent on/off values. I'm not exactly sure why this is any better than transistor technology except that it's probably much smaller, and probably a lot faster at switching (and that's pretty good stuff, so maybe I answered my own question).
0 Replies