Solitude

Diane

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 06:52 pm
On another thread, http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1283954#1283954 , Edgar mentioned the necessity of solitude while listening to Leonard Cohen's album, Dear Heather.

For me, solitude is necessary while I'm listening to Gorecki's Symphony #3, sometimes called the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. I listened to it almost everyday after the bombing on Sept. 11.

What songs do you prefer to listen to in solitude?

Edited to include link.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,020 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Diane

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 06:58 pm
Well dammit, I forgot how to provide a link to another thread. HELP!!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:55 pm
anything by "godspeed you black emperor", or "a silver mount zion"

hard to describe, info can be found here

godspeed you black emperor

a silver mount zion
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:06 pm
Capercaillie

To the Moon
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:11 pm
Ohhhh!

Thinking......

"Drive" by the Cars.

"Mr. Blue Sky" by ELO

"Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam" by Nirvana

Oh my gosh the list is probably endless.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:36 pm
I like to listen to the guitar sounds of Ottmar Liebert,
a German guy living in Santa Fee, NM.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:46 pm
I need solitude when I listen to "When The Music's Over", by The Doors.

Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
Listen to music, read, organize my daily schedule, and analyze daily experiences.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 11:07 pm
DJ, I hadn't heard of either of the groups you mentioned, but I found A Silver Mt. Zion on Amazon and listened to Tho You Are Gone. Beautiful, compelling.

Shewolf, Capercaille is also new to me. Yes, it would need a quiet space to truly feel as well as to hear the beauty.

Boomer, with all those choices, it seems that you just like listening alone. Sometimes that is all that matters. Getting lost in the music is all that matters.

CJ, also love Ottmar Liebert, but for some reason I don't need aloneness to appreciate him--I guess because there are no lyrics.

Gus, Jim Morrison wrote some of the best lyrics. For many of them, a silent setting in order to concentrate is needed in order to think. His lyrics sometimes stop you in your tracks.

The lyrics listed here all require thought in order to truly appreciate the message and the beauty. Even though I don't understand German, Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs takes all I have. There is nothing left of me to share while listening to the sometimes atonal, almost wailing experience of his music.

I'm going to be spending some money at Amazon.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 11:32 pm
Now another question--why do you need solitude? What is it about your particular songs that requires you to be alone while listening?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 05:13 am
both groups i mentioned are very orchestral in their compositions, lots of near silence with only subtle sounds, so require a degree of concentration and quiet

i'm reminde of a quote by italo calivino (sp), in his book "if on a winter night a traveller", he begins the book by telling the reader how best to enjoy reading it, at one point he remarks on the need for quiet, he says something like, "go into another room and close the door, there is always a tv on somewhere"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 05:36 am
Diane, I think it has to do with becoming one with the music. Any distractions seem to interfere with the texture.

When I listen to Caruso, I need total silence.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 08:49 am
Letty, I think you hit it. Becoming a part of the music reqires aloneness and concentration and thoughtful listening.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 09:46 am
I am a lyric person. If I can't hear most lyrics plainly I become disgruntled. I don't care if it's Great Balls of Fire or Dylan's A Hard Rain. But there are some requires real solitude. Dylan's License to Kill. Van Dyke Parks' album, Song Cycle. The Coasters, Shopping For Clothes. Some instrumentals, I must hear every note, as in the theme from The Apartment, by Ferante and Taichser (undoubtedly misspelled their names).
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:19 am
Edgar, as someone who's hearing isn't up to par, I don't know the lyrics to many old favorites because they were played in noisy places or the record wasn't in good shape. Like you, there are some that I can't listen to without being alone because I know I won't be able to hear them clearly.

Dead Can Dance is another group that needs quiet listening. I found one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AYEIAY/qid=1133710811/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-5064473-0608738?v=glance&s=music

If you scroll down to the clips, click on Song of the Sybyl. It has the best sense of the song because the vocal comes on right away. You should hear both the man and the woman--they make a remarkable pair and their music needs concentration.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 04:42 pm
In years past, when I went through great periods of sadness, I had certain records to play, such as Belafonte sings the Blues, Dylan's Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues and Restless Farewell, and Leonard Cohen's Songs of Love and Hate. I would spend a day or two basically alone, and soon would emerge, ready to face life again. The songs were great therapy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:04 pm
I have a friend who is into music therapy. Recently, I haven't been able to listen except in my head, but when that happens, I get so down that I literally get ill.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:18 pm
Edgar, music therapy helps with depression and physical symptoms including high blood pressure.

Music has been called a world language for good reason--we all respond to it and have, often, emotional reactions to it.

It has been a life saver for me many times when I was so depressed that I couldn't picture myself doing anything constructive--only sitting there immobile, as if frozen.

Letty, I hope this depression doesn't last long. I know that music is one of, if not the most, important things in your life.

Sometimes I put on a very upbeat song that helps get me going. If I'm listening to something solemn, I too, tend to get way, way down, but not always. As I said in an earlier post, I listened to Gorecki's Symphony #3 quite often after 9/11. Even though I was depressed over the attacks, the music was appropriate and seemed to honor the victims. It is one of those that I need absolute solitude while listening.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:31 pm
Thanks, Diane, it's not exactly depression as defined in the clinical sense. It's more like "looking" if that comes through as I intend it to do. Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that for a while, music was a business to me and I never really got to see through the manuscripts. Sheeeeze, I am gettin' all poetic now. <smile>
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
Letty, I think I understand what you are saying, but I can't quite believe you only thought of music as a business--your love fro music is too great and your insights are too knwowing and appreciative for you not to think of music in more ways than just business.

BTW, I wasn't always referring to depression as clinical. I've been there, but I also get depressed in a non clinical was as most people do. I would never suggest that anyone is clinically depressed since I haven't the credentials to do so. I hope you weren't upset with me for that misunderstanding.
0 Replies