• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,043 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 06:16 am
Hello, ying-ying, and welcome to A2K.

Langston Hughes was a fabulous black poet. The poem is written in black dialect of the past to make a point. You really need to research Hughes to appreciate his poetry.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 05:15 pm
The way you put it, it sounds like an academic question... It's against my very principles to make the student's works. Sorry. Very Happy
I think a good start would be to learn a bit on Hughes' life, way of thinking and other works. Then on the context of the writing of the poem. You can find plenty of infrmations on Hughes on the net After that, answer the questions one by one. Phocalise your attention on the different aspects you're asked to phocalise on. It will come naturally.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 06:00 pm
R.E. In what part of France do you live? "phocalise?" It does seem that Ying Ying would have responded by now, however.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:07 pm
Embarrassed Is "focus" better? I was thinking about the french verb "focaliser" and spelled it the wrong way... Sorry... Embarrassed
If it's a real question, and not a way to suggest that I'm not in France ( Rolling Eyes ), I live in the northern suburb (the "banlieue") of Paris.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:24 pm
Well, dear. Focus is a better English word, but I like your French version better for the sound of it.<smile> Thank you, R.E. for being thoughtful enough to respond.
0 Replies