You Know That You are an Old Fart, When You Can Remember....

Diane

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:29 pm
Glue in elementary school that smelled soooooo good.

Inkwells

Little coke bottles.

Ditto machines.

Stilletto heels--ruined my feet forever because of vanity.

Having your period was called riding the rag.

Idlewild before it was renamed Kennedy. Idlewild was evocative of words such as romantic, faraway, exotic, dreams come true. It was before the cynical, tired white collar crowd.

Mini skirts, when I could wear one and look good.

bubble gum wrapped in waxed paper with little comics on one side.

Party lines---listening in as a bratty kid.

Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger.

American Bandstand when it was new.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:47 pm
One of my jobs when I was a kid was to go fetch water from the stream. I still recall the fear in my heart as I raced toward the stream, the sky alive with pteradactyls and the bushes and trees filled with scaly, teethy creatures.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:58 pm
and you but a small scurrying thing the size of a shrew, scampering around the toes of brontosauruses, gustav, scary times indeed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
Dan Ried was the Lone ranger's nephew. His father was killed by Butch Cavendish's gang. Dan's grandson was the Green Hornet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
Hoop skirts.
Layers of petticoats.
DT haircuts.

Which soap kept you clean on all thirteen?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:46 pm
I knew them as DA haircuts (duck's ass, I guess).. they tended to make you look 'hoody'.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:07 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I am a youngish fart, I quit remembering things years ago. (I wonder where my pants are?)

Laughing Must be embarassing if you have a wet fart, eh Dys? :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:17 pm
25 cent movies

3 digit gas meters and they were in the basements

huge ice cream cones for dirt cheap

seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show for the 1st time

working for $1.25 (Cdn) per hour at McDonald's

speaking of, "Grab a bucket and mop......"
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:58 am
I have no idea whether these were American, but if not, they should have been......

Civil War cards!

For a small amount of change, I could buy a flat packet (2 inch square?) which contained a square piece of bubble gum, and four of the goriest picture cards that you can imagine.

Pictures of Yankees fighting Confederates, with big spiky wheels being pushed down a slope, impaling the opposing force and causing blood to spurt from various puncture wounds.

MARVELLOUS!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:02 am
Never seen the spikey-wheel one. You still got it? Trade ya a 4-card keel-haul series for it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:13 am
....having a length of string going up one sleeve, across my back inside my coat, and coming down the other, each end tied to a woollen mitten so they wouldn't get lost.

Having to wear a balaclava!

Ray guns that sent a shower of sparks out of the barrell when you pumped the trigger.

A small metal torch that had three lense covers (red blue and green) that could be moved into place by means of three slide buttons.

Wimpy cafes, where you could make yourself sick on hamburger and strawberry milk shake, when the only McDonald I knew was a miserable Scotsman who live round the corner.

Watching my nan remove a red hot poker from the fire and place it into her guinness, in order to "liven it up".

Having name tags in all of my school clothes, and still managing to come home after a swimming lesson, wearing my school pal's underpants.

School starting late one day, as everyone in the country had not gone to bed, due to the fact that "the Eagle had landed" live on TV, in the early hours of the morning (UK time).
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:16 am
timberlandko wrote:
Never seen the spikey-wheel one. You still got it? Trade ya a 4-card keel-haul series for it.

If only we had kept this sort of thing......I bet they would fetch a pretty penny these days.

So Civil War cards WERE American? I hope so.....it added to the coolness of it all, back then.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:43 am
timberlandko wrote:
How 'bout trough urinals - don't see them anymore.

How about having to pay to go into a public toilet? That practice was the catalyst for these immortal lines:

Quote:
There she stands, broken hearted,
Paid a nickel, and only f*****! Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:49 am
bermbits wrote:
How about a chiller called "Alcoa Presents." I don't remember much except that one or two episodes actually did scare me!

Bermbits- You can now be the proud owner of your own DVD of those shows!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052442/

I remember when every TV show was presented by one sponsor, who was inexorably linked with the show!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:02 am
Any of you REALLY old farts remember cotton stockings, worn with a garter belt?

Butter that was cut off a HUGE block?

Ration stamps (Now, THAT dates me).

78 RPM records

Potsy- The only equipment that you needed was a piece of chalk, and the top of a tin can, which was folded in half.

Telegrams...............which usually meant bad news.

When you made a long distance call, you had to wait for the operator to call you back. It took a long time to get your connection, and you only stayed on for a few seconds, because the calls were so expensive.

"Mad money"- The guys always paid for a date, and the girls would take a few dollars with her just in case they had a fight, and she had to go home by herself.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:10 am
Forgetting to empty the pan under the ice Box and having water all over the kitchen floor.

The magnifier in front of the 10 inch TV screen to make it larger and how it distorted the picture if you did not sit directly in front of the set.

Our first refrigerator with the coils on the top.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:17 am
When knickers were worn by boys annd long pants were for grownups.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:19 am
DrewDad wrote:
My first computer only had 48K of memory.

And a cassette-tape drive.

Remember Commodore Computers?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:23 am
roger wrote:
How about those little glow-in-the-dark thingies hanging from the light fixtures so you could find them in the dark?

I had a glow in the dark Jesus hanging over my bed.

talk about creepy
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:27 am
Finding Dad's stash of "Health and efficiency" magazines, where there were plenty of black and white photos oF women, eating muesli or playing badmington outdoors.

IN THE NUDE!!

KA-BOING!!!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/18/2024 at 05:43:10