You Know That You are an Old Fart, When You Can Remember....

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:19 pm
pPhone numbers that had names. Anybody remember the movie BUtterfield 8? Butterfield 8 was a very classy phone exchange bestowed on people living in the upper east side of Manhattan!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:20 pm
Let me think...no kissing on the first night out...

I remember when those big keypunch machines were the latest craze for all the modern offices.

Come to think of it I remember when I got lost at the New York World's Fair back in around 1964.

Then of course my old tube radio and if the dial went screwy a rubberband and/or a spring got it back...and the heat from those things...I accidentally melted a box of wax crayons on top of one once.

An ice box with a block of ice...my Uncle Bert and Aunt Inez had that until around 1960...

When the Dodgers were in Brooklyn and there was no New York Mets

Idlewild Airport (before it became JFK)

Neighbors who knew you when you were a kid and reported you to your parents if you were seen away from school...got caught a few times.

Needing a can opener to open a can of soda or getting a bottle of coke from a machine and popping off the lid in it's own special built in opener.

penny candy which was a penny...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:24 pm
Only two types of British actors. Those that spoke like the queen, and those that spoke like the queen, but put on an awful cockney accent and called everyone guv'nor.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:28 pm
the 10 channel universe (as captured by our rabbit ears), 5 regular and 5 uhf, and you had to get up to change the channel and adjust the volume, and adjust the antenna

still have no cable or dish
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:29 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Only two types of British actors. Those that spoke like the queen, and those that spoke like the queen, but put on an awful cockney accent and called everyone guv'nor.

so some things never change eh, Very Happy
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:31 pm
Test patterns after the National Anthem at midnight...and only one television in the house if you even had one yet.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:33 pm
The way to do complex calculations was to pull out the slide rule.

Then Texas Instruments made that calculator thing with the red led readout.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:34 pm
TEN channels? Ten channels would have been paradise. Three. Million Dollar Movies shown ten times a week. "The Millionaire", when John Beresford Tipton picked someone out of the phonebook every week and gave em a million bucks, and Michael Anthony delivered it. "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet".
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:34 pm
Windows 3.1
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:45 pm
The teletype machines in offices.
Console radios.
Record changers, could play a stack of platters.
No superhighways or freeways.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:54 pm
It is said that if you can remember the '60s, you weren't there. I can only assume that explains a lot about the foggy spots in my head :cool:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:55 pm
I remember going through the museum in Tucumcari, NM.

TV? I remember that. A thing in the corner with an itty bitty screen - with a test pattern
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:57 pm
How about those little glow-in-the-dark thingies hanging from the light fixtures so you could find them in the dark?
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:01 pm
First tv set I saw belonged to my best friend's engineer dad--an early adopter par excellence. Had a huge mahogony cabinet. The tube was buried in the cabinet and stood vertically. You opened the lid of the cabinet, and there was this mirror hinged to it, which came up to a 45 degree angle. The picture from the tube was reflected in the mirror, and you looked at the mirror. I think it was a 5" picture.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:15 pm
How 'bout trough urinals - don't see them anymore.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:16 pm
The Lone Ranger on radio.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:18 pm
Now, that's ollld.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:25 pm
Ahhh, yes - the Lone Ranger - "A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty Hi Yo Silver! ... Return with us now to those days of yesteryear ... "

Boston Blackie, Highway Patrol, and Hopalong Cassidy on the radio - and Sergeant Preston of the Mounties ... "On, King! Mush, you huskies!"

And Gunsmoke - With Matt Dillon's voice read by William Conrad, "Cannon", the fat PI of the '70s.

And, of course, "The Shaddow knows"
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:27 pm
Rod Serling narrating "The Twilight Zone"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:28 pm
Mr. and Mrs. North..
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/18/2024 at 05:43:19