Dog pees on floor at night - new dog owner needs help!

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:54 am
we have a new puppy well not quite so new now, 4 months, and I bought him one of those lifetime crates. Give him just enough room to turn around in it, but it's close enough quarters that if he pees or poops he spends the night in it. That's worked great. He's almost completely housebroken now.

Now if I can just get squinney trained.....
0 Replies

paaaatrick

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:16 pm
Update: Jack is in the vets for an overnight stay and I don't even know how the op went!!

I rang at 4pm like they had told me to, but he had only just gone to theatre, so they said to ring back in an hour and a half. I did this only to find an answer phone message saying that the surgery shut at 5pm. I don't know if the receptionist got the time wrong or what, but it's a bit annoying to say the least.

No news is good news, I suppose. If something terrible had happened im sure they would have called as they do have my number.

Will be ringing first thing to get news, hopefully I will be able to bring him home today!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:43 pm
That is tremendously annoying, at the very least. I'm irate from here.

Is it a private veterinarian, not a clinic?
I'd call the person on call at the office - I trust there is an answer service - and ask what the hell happened and why didn't they call you. Very nicely of course.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:57 pm
Yikes! I'd call the 24-hour emergency number, too!

I'm sure they'll be very contrite about not calling you.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:55 pm
He'll be fine, I'm sure. This is just a case of a forgetful receptionist, or something similar.

If it is a London Vet, it would most probably be a clinic with three/four or more vets working as a team. These places usually have an overnight vet nurse who has access to an on call vet in case of emergency.

It's a bit bad though, Pat.....you should let them know the worry it has caused.

I meant to ask earlier....are you getting him chipped while he is at the vet? Or has this already been done? I would advise having it done, just in case Jack turns out to be an escape artist when he is fully recovered.

Awaiting your update with interest......
0 Replies

paaaatrick

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 07:16 am
Jacks's had x-ray, op, anitbiotics & pain killing injection. X-ray showed that the pins had been moving in the leg, which was causing all the problems. Maybe the pin is what punctureed the skin yesterday causing the lump to drain. Anyway, prognosis is good, other probelms should clear up in time... hooray! Will post a pic later.

I'm just going to pick him up in the next hour or so, will ask about chipping. Have to take him back in 10days as an out patient, so maybe chip can be put in then. Light exercise only in the meantime - so he is going to be hyper til then at least.

I was really mad about not hearing about him yesterday, but I feel a lot better about things now I know he is OK & prognosis is good! Think it was an honest mistake by the receptionist. I had called back many times, but no one was picking up, thought it best not to call the emergency number - if anything terrible had happened I'm sure they would have called me. Would have saved me a lot of worry though, I had visions of him coming back in tripod form... not that that would matter to me.

Such a relief to know he is well though, i'm lookin forward to getting my shadow back.

Pat
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 07:32 am
Good news that you are going to go pick up your little furfriend, Patrick.

I was thinking about the 'light exercise' regimen you'd likely be facing, and as it turns out, that you are facing. This is a good opportunity to work his brain a bit harder than usual - it will make him tired, and happy.

When my male dog was neutered, we worked on 'tidy up time'. I taught him to pick up his toys at bedtime and put them in his crate. There was training, lots of attention paid to him, and lots of rewards at each stage of training. I have become lazy in the last 5 or 6 years in making him do this job - but he is clearly still proud when he gets it right.

Physical recovery time can be good training time - keeps you close to him (which he'll love) - and dogs love to have jobs they can do. The job could be something as simple as sit/shake/lie down or something more multi-staged.

He's going to be so happy to see you Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:17 am
That is great news.
0 Replies

paaaatrick

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:23 am
Have Jacky Boy back now... his leg is almost 100% better, the improvement already is unbelievable! You should see how excited he was to be back! Back again in 10 days for a check up and to get chipping done. Also found out that previous owners never had him inoculated so having that done too. Thank god he hasn't caught distemper already.

I'm so happy for him now though. I was worried at first taking on a dog but I know now I had made the right decision. He would still have those pins in and be limping on three legs if I had left him where he was, who know the guy might have got mad again one day and booted in his other leg.

As I am poor student Jack was allowed to be taken on as patient at the local RSPCA vets, the Harmsworth Memorial; it is the same one that Rolf Harris filmed the Animal Hospital series at. I just wanted to say what a great job they have done. Jack had initial check up, x-ray, operation, pain killers, antibiotics for a shade over £37.00 - and no I haven't missed a zero out. I knew it would be cheaper than private, but I was still expecting something around the £200 mark if not more. Almost feel guilty paying that amount considering the result. I will have to make a generous donation with my first paycheque when I graduate.

Here's a couple of pics of him with his brand new leg - he's got it on the ground for the first time in a fortnight!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/paaaatrick/jk2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/paaaatrick/jk1.jpg

All good news - hooray!

Pat

PS - Any good tips for how to get him to swallow his anti-biotics? Also, the vets were keen to have him neutered. My gut reaction is no, purely for the fact that I wouldn't like it done to me... lol! Also i'm worried it might change his personality. Anyone know different?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:37 am
I would only go for the neutering thing if he:

a) Starts to fight with any male dogs he encounters, and

b) Starts to hump anything that does/does not move. Chair legs, friends legs etc.

To five my dog a tablet, I simply press it into a small cube of cheddar cheese.

Dogs love cheese.

Well, done Pat (and jack, of course).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
ooooh, how cute! he looks so lively and pesky. and not worried about his leg at all, obviously he's just glad to be home.
we didn't have our cocker spaniel neutered, so i cannot say how that would change a dog's personality. they are supposed to be more mellow when neutered. our Krispin is everything but mellow. He was a daredevil all his life and even now at 13 he's his own master, getting himself in trouble. We only have a problem for about a week in spring - when his majesty "falls in love". he always picks one female that he courts and pursues over dead bodies. that got him landed in a pound twice. once he spent an entire night howling in front of the lady of his choice's door - finally her masters called the pound to get him taken away. he screamed bloody murder, but lost to superior force. we had to bail him out - quite an expensive courtship that one was.

but other than that damned one week a year there are no problems. if you want pesky jack to remain pesky jack, don't have him neutered. if you don't mind him mellowing down a bit, go ahead. it shouldn't be a big deal for a dog.... but my gut reaction is like yours - if i absolutely don't have to, i won't do it to any dog.
0 Replies

paaaatrick

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:54 am
He does try and hump his teddy occasionally, but it's not a major problem. He is also very good natured and eager to meet new dogs but never is agressive. He is still quite young at 9 moths so this could change but, as things are i'm very happy with his behaviour; so don't see as there is any need to have the neutering done.

Thanks, Pat
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:49 am
Oh, I am glad to hear that Jack is okay now, and he
looks so cute. What a blessing for him to have found you,
Patrick.

Our dog Max is neutered and I believe it was the best for
him. Male dogs will travel great distance if they smell a
female "in heat". It is just a strain on them, plus if you
don't breed them, they're more prone to tumors, according
to most veterinarians.

If we have to medicate Max, he'll get his pills wrapped in
Liver sausage - works like a charm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:58 am
Pacco had been neutered - I got him as an older dog from a shelter. If he is this package of beans now, I can't even imagine the woe other dogs on earth would have if he wasn't neutered.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
oh yes, liver sausage sounds good. probably most wet dog food would work. or soft cheese.

i think america and europe is different when it comes to neutering. while it's very common in the states, neutering is not done nowhere nearly as often in europe. dunno. we chose not to and i'm very happy with that choice.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 11:30 am
Dang, that dog just gets cuter by the day. And good to hear he's better.

We've had neutered dogs but my husband and I both grew up with nonneutered dogs. It seems to depend, had a neutered dog that humped legs and a neutered one that was aggressive -- but these 2 things were also true of my dog growing up. RP's childhood dog marked territory everywhere. Hmm.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 07:20 pm
You might want to say an extra "thanks" to the vet staff by sending a box of chocolates or fruit basket signed by "Jack". I suggest you also include some doggie treats for the other patients.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 08:42 pm
I dunno about that extra whoooo whoo. People know when they're being - I won't say used... , but I am not sure it is all so darling in daily practice.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:06 pm
We've taken in old towels and blankets for Bailey and Cleo's local vet, the hamburger's are saving some for the vet where they go for grooming.

Most vet clinics love little homey things for dogs they're caring for - they all seem to do some kind of pro bono work.
0 Replies

paaaatrick

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:59 pm
I'm going to take the vets something when I go back for Jack's follow up a week on Monday. It's a charity vets, very busy and they have done him proud. They probably have to take a pay cut to work there so it's the very least I can do.
0 Replies