Talking to Robots-How Do You Feel About It?

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:34 am
One of the wonders of technology is the telephone tree. You want to talk to a customer service person about your broken IPod, or your credit card company, about an incorrect invoice.

You call the number, and you are faced with menus...............menus within menus..................menus that don't relate too closely enough to what you want. And then, if you ever do get to the right menu, sometimes you wait, listening to music that wants to make you retch, and then you are cut off. Or if you do finally get a real, live person on the line, often they speak in a thick accent, that is diffcult for you to understand. On top of that, the first line people who DO answer the phone often appear to have been hired by the company very recently, and really don't know very much.

More and more, I find that as technology escalates, it is becoming more and more difficult to have problems resolved quickly, by real live people, who speak a form of English that is easily understandable, and who know what they are talking about.

I found a site that helps to cut down some of the misery, which I described on another thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63982

How do you deal with this?
Do YOU have any methods of cutting through the nonsense that people have to go through to deal with problems with companies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 760 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:43 am
The first option I hear to get to a real person is the one I choose. It is usually the wrong department but they always transfer me to the correct one. This bypasses the maze of automated responses.

Also, I often ask to talk to a supervisor if my problem is not being handled in a prompt manner.

I bought a new computer a few months ago and had a question about some of the hardware. I called up customer service and got some non-english speaking person who was a very dim bulb. He just kept repeating the same thing over and over without ever answering my question. Then he would put me on hold for 10 minutes come back and say the same thing.

I got fed up and asked to talk to his supervisor. Once he got on the phone he answered my question within one minute. After that I almost always immediately ask for a supervisor.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
jpinMilwaukee- That was my experience, just yesterday. Another advantage of asking for a supervisor is that often he/she has more flexibility in dealing with problems that are a little bit off the beaten path.

The problem is though, that sometimes the first line clerks have been told not to refer to a supervisor. That can be very frustrating.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:50 am
"Your call is very important to us....."

You have a legitimate reason to be angry. Most of the phone robots I have encountered actually do constitute bad service. In the 21st century, most vendors try to make life as easy as possible for themselves by making it considerably less convenient for you, and you do have a right to complain. Don't let them propagate the lie that anyone who doesn't like it is a troublemaker.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:53 am
I like the robot sometimes. Because sometimes you can resolve your issue without talking to someone. But they need to have that button to push to direct you to someone during the first menu. Because sometimes, I just need to talk to someone!!!!!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:54 am
I hate the robots
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:55 am
They also usually have more flexibility in solving the problem. Whenever price/quality issues arise, I always ask for a supervisor. The first defense usually tells you that they can't do anything about price or maybe offer a small discount. The supervisors usually have much more leeway when it comes to pleasing customers.

My wife, before we were married, got a new cell phone. A couple of weeks later somebody rear ended her while she was stopped at a light. When she tried to use her cell phone, in town, she could not get any service. The purpose of the cell phone was for situations just like this and the thing wouldn't work.

When she tried returning the phone they charged her a 200 dollar cancelation fee which she felt she shouldn't have to pay. She made call after call after call and got all the way up to the VP of Customer Relations before she got what she wanted. They not only cancelled the $200 cancellation fee but even returned her money that she paid for the short amount of time that she had their service.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:57 am
Brandon- Not only less convenient, but much more complicated. I consider myself a pretty sharp person, but I often find the menus ans sub-menus mind boggling. I really get angry, when the robot goes through the menu choices, I don't find one which suits my situation, and I am then prompted "to return to the main manu".

Often I get the feeling that the company thinks, that if they can make things complicated enough, some of the callers will give up and go away, which is what probably happens.

I had an interesting experience a few days ago. I had to call a health insurance company about two separate issues, one a customer service issue about myself, and an issue about purchasing a policy for my mother.

Guess which call brought a human being on the phone instantly? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:26 am
Don't talk to robots!

One day they shall--and I've been saying this since 1981, though I was only two years-old at the time--one day they shall RULE THE WORLD!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:30 am
just call the 800 number and DONT enter an option.

the robot, 9 times out of 10 , passes you to a LIVE person to helpyou through the robot maze. hehe
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:50 am
Talking to robots
Quite often hitting the 0 button 3 or 4 times will get you a human. Of course, sometimes it just gets you a different menu, and sometimes it simply gets you cut off altogether.

There is a new book out by Lynne Truss called "Talk to the Hand". It's about rudeness (it's not an etiquette book, but a series of essays) and one chapter is devoted to exactly the telephone menu tree sort of thing. It's hilarious, and right on target.

BTW - what do you all feel about robots that say "Great!" in a perky female voice after you've entered the information it requires? Can't they simply say "thank you", just for feedback, without the fakery? I put that "Great!" right up there with "My name is X and I'll be your server tonight" for pure irritation.

And what about the New Age music twangling along in the background?

Lovely opportunity to vent!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:49 pm
Generally, I don't like dealing with automated phone menu messages, but the exceptions are when I'm paying bills over the phone with a credit card. There's 2 or 3 that I do that way. No line-up.

A few months ago, our local phone company changed over from the menu message thing to a voice recognition service. Wow, that can be even more bloody annoying than the above! Mad

If you don't speak clearly or loudly enough, the "voice" becomes befuddled. How the heck would it work if you've got an accent or twank in your own voice?

Sometimes it's just easier to keep with what you've got.
0 Replies