USAF dog - can't be adopted

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:07 am
I didn't know which section to post this under:

Quote:
Wounded Sergeant Fights for a 'Best Friend'

By Donna St. George
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, November 20, 2005; A01

They had trained together for three years in the military and were deployed overseas side by side. In June, they arrived in Iraq, where they worked as a team scouring houses and villages for hidden explosives. Then, one afternoon, riding back from a mission, a roadside bomb went off under their Humvee.

Air Force Tech. Sgt. Jamie Dana was critically injured -- bleeding internally, her lungs collapsed, her spine fractured, her pelvis broken. In her last moment of consciousness, she asked in desperation about her comrade. "Where's Rex?" she pleaded. When no one answered, she grabbed a medic's arm. "Where's my dog? Is he dead?"

The medic told her that he was. "I felt like my heart broke," she recalled. "It's the last thing I remember."

Weeks passed before Dana would understand that the medic was mistaken and that Rex was alive. The German shepherd was burned slightly on his nose while Dana teetered at life's edge, doctors unable to assure her family that she would survive......

More here

She should be allowed to adopt the dog.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 688 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:53 am
That really is a tough question.

An $18,000 dog is not something you really just want to give away.

On the other hand, I would really like to see her get to keep the dog.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:06 am
When you consider the billions of dollars our government is spending on the military, one dog does not amount to much.
Give her the dog.
$18.000 ?
Hell, they spend more than that for toilet seats.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:20 am
My heart is with the wounded troop, and I'd certainly consider tis a "Special Circumstance", but I understand the military's position, too; the pup is a functioning asset, fully capable of discharging mission requirements. It has a job to do, a job that has to be done, and somebody, folks and pups, hasta do the job.

Actually, sorta been-there-done-that, though hardly in the same situation as this girl and her partner. Bummer of a deal. Mebbe the publicity will help her and the pup get back together, mebbe not. Perhaps a flood of letters to Congress Critters will cut the red tape - hope so, but I've got my doubts.
0 Replies