Chemistry teachers anyone?

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 12:46 pm
Chemistry is my Achille's heel.

I have a lot of questions, however, is there anyone who can volunteer to answer? Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 845 • Replies: 16
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:32 pm
Several people here have a general chemistry expertise. Post away.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:03 am
I will soon....actually the list is too long!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:14 am
Are you a Chem student? If your answer to this is 'Yes'; then, wouldn't it serve you better to speak with your teacher or if need be a tutor?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:47 am
Yes, I am a Chemistry student

*laughs*

Thanks for the advice, I do get my doubts cleared but teachers are not available for all 24 hours that is!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:26 am
Have you tried an online search for Chemistry tutors and the like? http://www.chemtutor.com is just one of many places. Another helpful idea is to get phone numbers or e-mails of fellow students and communicate with them. A network of students often times can discover the solutions/answers which elude the individual. This to some degree is why students are urged (sometimes required) to have a lab partner. More brain power leads to more answers and better grades.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:29 am
thanks very much, looks like you have a background in chemistry....
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:44 am
I taught it (chemistry) for several years at the High School level. In fairness to all I try not to give answers when they are asked for directly on the internet. Sure, I can hand you answers; however this doesn't get you to think for yourself and to make the efforts of discovering the answers. Keep in mind, that discovery process is where the greatest joy comes to you.

When it came to my students I was the same way. I presented all the information and then guided them towards finding the answers themselves. When a student was at a loss on figuring an answer I teamed them up with 2 or 3 students who had arrived at the answer. It rarely failed. This in a nutshell is why I can so readily advise to the matter of networking/teamwork..try it, you may not always like it (having to apply yourself) but it will be worth it on all fronts from self satisfaction to better test results.

For the record, I also taught biology and earth sciences as well as physics.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:47 am
many thanks again
finally, having been influenced by your wise words, i have decided not to post the questions
i'll try them out again!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:11 pm
Post your questions and we'll give hints. Asking here is no different than asking your teacher.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:38 am
Why is the tertiary carbonium ion stabler than the secondary or primary?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:04 am
Internet results
Try Here
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:45 pm
That was very useful, thanks!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:46 pm
That was very useful, thanks!

I found the site so useful that I have bookmarked the whole!

Which other sites are similarly useful for chemistry?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:47 pm
Grrr....

just when I thought I had conveyed the joy of discovering the answers on your own.

Wishful thinking, eh?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:14 pm
Ok Sir,

let me tell you that I have got it!

A tertiary carbocation is stabler than the secondary or tertiary cuz the postive charge on it is well distributed about its three methyl groups while on the primary carbocation the positive charge is rather localised.

I have got this far, am i right , sir?

Now, I am going to think why distribution of charge affects stability positively?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:16 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Grrr....

just when I thought I had conveyed the joy of discovering the answers on your own.

Wishful thinking, eh?

Don't worry, you have convinced me!

But, won't you agree that basic concepts should be clear- that is what I just needed in this case. Smile
0 Replies