Which dictionary do you use most?

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 05:34 pm
I have a 1953 edition of The American College Dictionary that I prefer over the others I have access to. I keep it and a 4th edition Roget's Thesaurus next together by my computer. I have several other dictionaries scattered about, but I always come to this one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,211 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 05:51 pm
Haven't used a book dictionary in eons. I have "Atomica" on my computer, and that is sufficient for 99% of my needs. The only time that I use a book dictionary is if I am looking up medical terms, and will check a medical dictionary.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 06:07 pm
An electronic Oxford
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 08:19 pm
I use online dictionaries too, but I'm old fashioned in that I love to use this old thing.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:34 pm
I use Atomica as well.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 11:44 am
I have--and use when necessary--a paper&ink unabridged Random House. Far more frequently I use a paperback New American Webster to check spelling.

The lighter the book, the more likely an indolent intellectual is to use the book.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 12:04 pm
Phoenix and Montana you actually pay for it?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 12:16 pm
No, it's free.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:11 am
I use a book dictionary, the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (two volumes.) I bought it a few months ago at a discount from Amazon.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 06:34 pm
Good grief, Edgar, me too, except that it's the 1955 edition! The dictionaries which get the most use are those which I keep on the shelf over my desk but they're there mostly because they fit on the shelf. They are the above-mentioned Am.Coll. Dict., a variety of foreign language dictionaries, and a Concise Oxford (which is the one I always use first). Elsewhere in the house are various Larousses and dudenbooks, an odd but lovely dictionary published by Houghton Mifflin called the American Heritage Dictionary, and weighing down a bunch of shelves, a 1927 (? too lazy to doublecheck) OED. Which is enormously useful now and then. I like to know the origins of words. I've never been tempted by an online dictionary, even though just about everything I do is done on line. Well, not EVERYTHING...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 07:55 pm
There are 3 or 4 Concise Oxfords around the house. I can't seem to resist them when I spot them at Goodwill. 2 Scrabble dictionaries that i hate (they were gifts) - when Scrabble happens at my house, we go by my rules, and my rules say the Oxford only. A couple of old English-German dictionaries, and a few French-English - including one that is strictly related to ornithology. One French-German picture dictionary from about 1910 meant for about a grade 2 or 3 level student. The last one is definitely the most attractive and interesting of the bunch.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 05:52 pm
Dictionaries
I have three on my desk including Websters College 2nd ed. The thing I always reach for first, because it is fast and easy, is my Franklin pocket electronic dictionary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:03 pm
I have a Frankllin pocket electronic dictionary - bought it for my daughter. After she completed school she gave it back.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:27 am
Websters and dictionary.com
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 05:56 am
Ditto SP but my fav is Oxford Complete
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 12:48 pm
currently i'm using my imacs,you see, it's just there, only a click away but does it satisfy me? Does it have parched yellowing pages that flick with old authority in the wake of all that is new and midas?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 12:53 pm
if both a dictionary and a computer,over a period of time had spiderwebs all over them , i would trustfully turn to my websters...because I know it would still work. And such is the nature of the web.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 11:23 am
At home I have the Random House second edition, a leather-bound tome. That's my fave. Also one of the smaller Oxfords, I think the Compact or the Shorter. Here at work I use the American Heritage College Dictionary; it serves basic utilitarian needs.

I go on-line for words in other languages...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:44 pm
In the everyday life I prefer the automatic dictionary I have downloaded from Babylon Web site (despite of the name it has no connection to either ancient or modern Iraq). For deeper checks I use The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language.
0 Replies

ineldorado

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 12:42 am
American College Dictionary, etc.
Tartarin wrote:
Good grief, Edgar, me too, except that it's the 1955 edition! The dictionaries which get the most use are those which I keep on the shelf over my desk but they're there mostly because they fit on the shelf. They are the above-mentioned Am.Coll. Dict., a variety of foreign language dictionaries, and a Concise Oxford (which is the one I always use first). Elsewhere in the house are various Larousses and dudenbooks, an odd but lovely dictionary published by Houghton Mifflin called the American Heritage Dictionary, and weighing down a bunch of shelves, a 1927 (? too lazy to doublecheck) OED. Which is enormously useful now and then. I like to know the origins of words. I've never been tempted by an online dictionary, even though just about everything I do is done on line. Well, not EVERYTHING...

This is strange. I didn't think anybody else used this dictionary. I suppose my is the '65 edition. The spine reads "The Most Authoritative Desk Dictionary Every Published".

Normally, I go to my paperback Oxford American, but I also keep the American College on the shelf above my desk, for cases when the OA doesn't suffice. For more extreme cases, I have a two-volume OED.

I don't know how anyone can get by with an online dictionary. Even if you're on broadband, it seems like it would be easier to use a book.

But yes, the American College is a great dictionary. I got it for a couple bucks at a Salvation Army. Couple of the best dollars I ever spent. I don't trust these new dictionaries. Too many worthwhile words are dropped out of the listings altogether because people on the editorial board didn't find them in a New York Times article or a John Updike novel.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies