New Zealand lizard name required.

Don1

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:53 am
I'm stuck on a crossword, I'm looking for the name of a lizard from New Zealand with these letters and spaces.

K?T?E?I?

I THINK the letters are right Confused

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,126 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Don1

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:34 am
Now I'm not sure of the "K" forget the above. Do you have an 8 letter word for any New Zealand lizard?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:09 am
Do they have lizards? Sorry just speculating. I'm pretty sure they don't have snakes (good for them).
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:18 am
Tuatara.

I forgot. Reminds me of a small iguana.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:41 am
Hi DonI

The name you are looking for is HATTERIA. Below is the reference:

ARTFL Project: Webster Dictionary, 1913
Check out our new site which features an updated interface for Webster's Dictionary, Roget's Thesaurus, the French-English Dictionary, and the French Verb Conjugator.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for: hatteria
Found 1 hit(s).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hatteria (Page: 674)
Hat*te"ri*a (?), n. [NL.] (Zoöl.) A New Zealand lizard, which, in anatomical character, differs widely from all other existing lizards. It is the only living representative of the order Rhynchocephala, of which many Mesozoic fossil species are known; -- called also Sphenodon, and Tuatera.
Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:55 am
goodfielder wrote:
Tuatara.

I forgot. Reminds me of a small iguana.

I can't count either.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:46 pm
Thanks dutchy Very Happy
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:54 pm
Well at least the next time I am in NZ I know that among the roadkill (the dead possums on the roads are pitiful) might be lizards. Lizards with names of seven letters and lizards with names of eight letters.

But no snakes.

This has been instructive. Thank you.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:58 pm
Hi Goodfielder

A word of advice, don't go swimming in New Zealand......a SNAKE might get you!

Q. Are there any snakes in New Zealand?

A. Yes and no. New Zealand has no terrestrial (land) snakes either native or introduced. However due to New Zealand'sa sub tropical climate it is visited irregularly by two species of sea snake. The yellow-bellied sea snake, Plumis platurnus, (the most widely distributed of all sea snakes) is an infrequent visitor to our shores with more than 35 sightings around New Zealand shores since 1930. An even more unusual visitor is the banded sea krait, Laticauda coumarin. The banded sea krait is distributed from India and South-east Asia through New Guinea, Australia and the Pacific Islands. Both species of snakes are highly venomous but, due to their size, are highly unlikely to be able to penetrate human skin.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:22 pm
Thanks for the info Dutchy.

I've only ever visited NZ in winter so swimming definitely wasn't on the agenda.

I know as a rough rule of thumb that if (a) it's a snake and (b) it looks like it's at home in water then (c) it means big trouble.

Those big tiger snakes that like swimming down at Ewens Ponds in the SE near Mount Gambier - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - don't want to come across one of those.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:09 am
Know the various sink holes well down Mt. Gambier way, never spotted a tiger snake, only red bellied black snakes.
0 Replies