Post-op pain, or scavengers feasting on your organs?

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:58 pm
Please do not put me in a state-run hospital in India.

Ants eat away patient's eye in Indian hospital

Nurses ignored cries of pain, saying it was normal after operation

KOLKATA, India - A woman receiving treatment for diabetes at a state-run hospital in eastern India lost one of her eyes after ants nibbled away at it, officials said on Tuesday.

The patient recovering from a post-surgery infection shrieked for help as the ants attacked her on Sunday night, but nurses told her it was normal to feel pain from the infection.

On Monday, the patient's family saw a gaping hole with swarming ants in it when they lifted the bandage on her left eye.

Authorities of the Sambhunath Hospital in Kolkata said they were probing the incident.

"It's not uncommon for ants to attack diabetic patients. We have set up a committee to investigate the unfortunate incident," hospital superintendent A. Adhikary said.

Scampering rats and stray cats and dogs sharing bed space with patients are not uncommon sights at India's overcrowded state-run hospitals that are used by millions of poor and middle-class people.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 459 • Replies: 9
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:15 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:20 pm
Re: Post-op pain, or scavengers feasting on your organs?
DrewDad wrote:
Scampering rats and stray cats and dogs sharing bed space with patients are not uncommon sights at India's overcrowded state-run hospitals that are used by millions of poor and middle-class people.

you'd think the cats would take care of the rats
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:35 pm
Shocked
Oh
my
god

You know, you think this stuff is from horror films but **** like this really happens.

Take this one for example: (warning, not for the faint of heart)

Maggots
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:35 pm
Yeah, but the dogs chase the cats.

On a side note, I don't think those nurses would make very apt pupils.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 04:01 pm
in the first, second, korean and vietnam war, the doctors would sometimes move on to another patient if they noticed maggots in awound, they are very efficient at cleaning up dead tissue so the doctors can better treat later on
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:37 am
djjd62 wrote:
in the first, second, korean and vietnam war, the doctors would sometimes move on to another patient if they noticed maggots in awound, they are very efficient at cleaning up dead tissue so the doctors can better treat later on

They are quite effective and are still used today in some cases in some medical facilities. They eat the dead flesh but not the living, healthy tissue.

However, this guy had roundworm or something like that, which was eating his living tissue I think. Or perhaps he had an infection and it was eating the infected brain matter? I don't know. Either way, having something feasting on my brain while I am living is an awful thougth. <<shudder>>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:51 am
Im not going to go into micro-organisims..
but
there is something feasting on your body 24/7

;-)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 08:15 am
Don't they use the heads of army ants as sutures?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 08:15 am
Mmmmmm..... Brain!
0 Replies