When should I change kitty's diet from "junior" to "adult"?

roger

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:07 pm
Well, I never intended to have three cats either, Tico, but cats happen.

I still have no qualms about an exclusive diet of IAMS dry cat food for the house cats. The yard cats at work are getting Meow Mix (dry) and whatever they can forage for. Can't afford 18 pounds of IAMS a week for them, and yard cats seem to be pushing the life expectancy envelope at 2 years, anyway.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:22 pm
Imur: Speak with your veterinerian as to what they recommend for Billy and friend{s}. My cats have always lived indoors,and always done quite well on
dry food exclusively. Our vet recommends Hill's Science Diet dry,as being correct nutritionally for their needs. Dry food is better for their teeth too,
and helps keep down incidents of feline urinary tract blockages in boy cats. Also,is billy on a monthly heartworm preventive? If not,please consider it,even if Billy lives in,and especially if he ever goes out. Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:52 pm
Lindatw wrote:
Quote:
Also,is billy on a monthly heartworm preventive? If not,please consider it,even if Billy lives in,and especially if he ever goes out.

Yes, Billy is on a regular worm preventative, recommended and provided by our vet.

I shouldn't imagine that his current diet (mainly dry with a smattering of wet) is detrimental to either his teeth or his general wellbeing. And, of course, there's always fresh water available. I'll have to research this unirary tract blockage you mentioned. Sounds painful.

Gonna talk to the vet tomorrow..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:57 pm
Painful and quickly fatal in tomcats. My layman's understanding is that a high ash content in the diet either causes or accelerates the process. That's supposedly the reason you never feed dog food to a cat.

(note the words 'layman's' and 'supposedly')
0 Replies