Attn Dutchy and butterfly

farkha

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:04 am
Saw your posts on Lovatts Colossus no.101, Giant Cryptic Competition. I just received my copy of Colossus Collection 168. The Giant Cryptic in it has 24d as brakes. !a is Service,reg..... i wonder if my 168 the same as your 101?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 856 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:22 am
Attn Dutchy and butterfly
Hi Farkha

It would appear so, here are both clues in full as shown in Cryptic No.101.

24d = Traffic can't move when they're on. (6)

1a = Servoce, Reg, entails being deputy leader. ( 4- 6)

Hope this helps
Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

farkha

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:26 am
Thanks for the reply- will get in touch when I run into trouble
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:47 pm
Hi Farkha,
It's nice to talk to you again. Thankyou so much for your message. Very Happy
It's great to hear that our cryptics seem to match up- I wonder if the other competitions in your book match as well?

With Dutchy's help I was able to complete the cryptic competition and I will gladly help you if you get stuck on any clues. Just post here again and I will keep checking this page.

1A. Service, Reg, entails being deputy leader (4-6)
Vice-Regent = deputy leader
serVICE REG ENTails

Good luck in the competitions!
Regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:22 am
Hi Dutchy,
You wouldn't believe it! I have completed all of the Lovatts November Online Puzzle pack No.29, except for the 'Big'- it's all filled in, but I have made an error somewhere along the line. Oh well, back to the drawing board! Laughing
It has happened to me once before- I had put in a different answer to the one they were looking for, even though it matched the letters given and was also a synonym. Luckily I found it and changed it in time to enter the competition.
I think it will probably be easier if I start this one over again from scratch, as I don't know if it is a spelling error or a word change that I am looking for!

Wish me luck!
Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

farkha

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:06 am
butterfly,Dutchy Hi. Was away and could not get to a computer. Am running out of time.Pl confirm the following Cryptics
17d. Rough-sounding equine- hoarse
17a. Couple having difficulty-hitch
18d. US aircraftcarrier may be involved in sting-hornet
50d. Frogman starts to turn away-divert
68a. Lean towards minister-tend(did not understand the clue nor the logic of my answer)
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:22 am
Hi Farkha,

I have just checked my answers to yours and they are all the same- so we either have them all wrong or all right! Laughing

68A. Lean towards minister (4)
lean towards = tend (to)
minister = tend (to)

Good luck in the competition Farkha!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:32 am
Hi Farkha & Butterfly

Firstly, my answers for the Cryptic are also the same, so I guess we are all spot on here.

Secondly, my apologies to you Butterfly, for not answering your reply dated Tue. Nov.15. Would you believe I was not notified by "able2know", and only checked Farkha's topic tonight and happen to spot your note.

I hope by now you've mastered Lovatts November on line "Big". I know from experience how frustrated you must feel after doing the completely puzzle only to find out at the end there is a booby-booby somewhere.

What I usually do, I print the puzzle, and complete it on my desk and type it in afterwards. In case of a mistake I save it and check it later word for word until I find the error. Saves a lot of typing.

Let me know if you are stuck and I will try to assist you. With 10 days left there is plenty of time to submit your entry. In case you have completed same I wish you luck and will keep my fingers crossed for you. :wink:

Kindest regards
Dutch D
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:52 am
Hi Farkha, Butterfly and Dutchy!

I have been a Lovatts fan for years. When stymied I would try to track down answers through Google and the usual dictionaries, etc.

Only very recently did I discover able2know and I find it a fascinating place to visit.

Hope you don't mind my jumping in here to introduce myself; you have helped out on a few occasions already. Thanks!
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:55 am
Hi Lezzles,
It's wonderful to meet another devoted Lovatts crossword fan! No need to worry about 'jumping in' - the more the merrier! Laughing

Talk to you again soon!
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:01 am
Hi Dutchy,

Thankyou for your offer of assistance with the Lovatts November online Big crossword competition. I just went in to look at it again with fresh eyes and checked it through for spelling errors- didn't find any, so i started to look at any possible alternate answers that fitted the letters available. Luckily, I found where I had gone wrong-
for 'total' (3-2), I had put 'all-up' instead of 'add-up',
which then messed up another clue that crossed it.
For 'decree' I had the letters '?L?CT' which led me to put in 'elect', which is a synonym, but not the obvious and correct one - 'edict' (once the 'D' replaced the 'L')
So after all of that I found my 'balance'. Laughing phew!
Wishing you the best of luck in all of the online competitions!
Talk to you again soon.
Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:17 pm
Hi Farkha, Lezzles & Butterfly

Welcome on board Lezzles. Like you I have been doing Lovatts puzzles for years but never tackled the "Cryptics" until recently. Since discovering "able2know" I'm pleased to have found a small group of enthusiasts with whom I can exchange ideas.

Butterfly pleased to see you got on top of the "Big" online puzzle for November. Hope you score like I did last month, I'll twiddle my thumbs for you. Smile

Talk to you all soon.
Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

farkha

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:21 am
Thanks all and welcome lezzles. Never thought I could complete a Cryptic without lots and lots of misery. Seriously, I enjoy the pleasure of the hunt. Cheers
0 Replies