Calculus?

Enray

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:49 pm
I am in 8th grade and take Algebra 1. I was thinking about reading Calculus for Dummies over the summer before I went to bed each night. Then I would ask for a Calculus test at the beginning of the school year. If i do well on the test, I'm sure they'd let me in. I know I can do the work, it's just a matter of the teachers letting me in. What do you guys think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 9
No top replies

raprap

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:38 pm
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:05 pm
If you are in Algebra I now, you need more background in my opinion. I would target trig if you wanted to be really agressive, but a more logical step would be to take both Geometry and Algebra II next year since they are somewhat independent. This puts you in good position to take Trig as a sophmore and two years of Calculus after that.
0 Replies

kingofmen

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:24 pm
Re: Calculus?
Enray wrote:
I am in 8th grade and take Algebra 1. I was thinking about reading Calculus for Dummies over the summer before I went to bed each night. Then I would ask for a Calculus test at the beginning of the school year. If i do well on the test, I'm sure they'd let me in. I know I can do the work, it's just a matter of the teachers letting me in. What do you guys think?

Why have to use that book ? Do as many exercises as you can, you will see Caculus is not a tough subject.
0 Replies

tiny07

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:00 pm
I think there is more than the book tells you and you will need the classes before cal to get some pointers.
0 Replies

Enray

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:42 pm
Thanks for the advice. Our ASAP instructor is in college and is learning to be a math teacher. I could ask him what I don't understand.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:10 pm
Why are you trying to jump from algebra 1 to calculus?

Does this mean that you want to skip geometry and trig?

Because you really shouldn't skip these courses; They are very useful down the road

If you follow the regular preset path, this puts you into Calculus I during the senior year of high school, and you'll find this puts you ahead of the game already, then you can do Calc II and III during your freshman year and you'll be pretty good to go
0 Replies

Enray

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:23 pm
That makes sense. I thought that I wouldn't be taking calculus until I got to college, but I read our school syllabus which proved otherwise. I'm still going to read about those subjects, just to get a little headstart. Thanks.
0 Replies

stapel

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:53 pm
Try "Calculus Made Easy", by Silvanus P Thompson. It's old, and the author says your teacher will hate it, but you might find it interesting. It's short, too.

Eliz.
0 Replies

carterreese

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:50 pm
You also need to take advanced math.
0 Replies