Paris and Rome Hostels

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:08 pm
Hmm, do you want me to pm JoeFX to look at this thread? I can't remember if he has pm ability, but I assume you don't yet.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 01:37 am
That would be lovely! Please do! He has the ability since he has bugged me before... unfortunately I always end up seeing a hamster error Sad

Oh and he reserved Rome for us:

M&J PLACE HOSTEL ROME: Via Solferino, 9 - Rome (RM) 00185, Italia. Looks clean!

So, robbery huh? I'll definitely need to buy that neckstrap thingie...
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 05:36 am
Thanks osso for the pm, we now want to reserve here Excelsior on Paris.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:45 am
Now we have reserved there. A more centric place perfect for late night shananigans!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:50 am
Wow, both very handy! That one in Paris looks charming...

On the theft, I don't mean to instill fear - I'm not really afraid there. It's just smart to keep credit card/atm card, and main cash tucked away in one of those hidden pocket devices. You probably won't be approached, but you never know.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
Is it a good idea to leave credit cards on hotels/hostels instead of carrying around on a wallet?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:56 am
I've not stayed in hostels, so I don't know. Out of some kind of instinct, I've always trusted my hotels travelling anywhere, but I think that is quite dumb. I don't think I've left a credit card or atm card in my hotel, but I've left some money once in a while.
I carry little, the atm card, one or two visas, my california driver's license, a photocopy of passport. (The passport tends to get left with the hotel for a bit when you check in, plus if you lose it, you'll have a head start at the embassy..).

Wallets, well, damn, a wallet in your pocket is easily pickpocketed. The famous pickpocket bus in Rome is the #64, according to guidebooks.. but I suppose it can happen anywhere, any city.

I remember the sight of a band of women in filmy chiffon clothes coming up behind a bunch of Roman businessmen as they squeezed on to a metro car on their way to the office at about seven one morning. The women went through all their overcoat pockets as they were wedging themselves into the car, just as the doors closed and the train rolled off.

I learned - with various friends having had purses grabbed, wallets taken, over several years time - to carry a purse, maybe, but have nothing I can't lose in it.

Things have gotten simpler with atms - one doesn't have to lug around traveler's checks any more. Before I got what I consider my famous black suit, I wore either a belt wallet (truly horrible) or one of those hanging-from-neck things in the big cities. They are plenty aggravating, but then I've been "approached" three times, and once a group did get into my fanny pack.

The black suit was a pants suit that I bought an extra pair of pants for, and I think both the pants and the jacket had zippered pockets that you couldn't see from the outside.
I wore that damn thing for thirty days, nearly burned it when I got home. It was washable, and if I was staying in a place long enough, there was a pair of black trousers hanging by a hanger from the shower head, sort of a shower creature.)
Black suit power! or maybe it was the smell... I didn't have any theft-type stuff happen on that last trip.

You guys'll be fine.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:40 am
I really don't think we'll have any problems of that sort. Might be because I believe that if I think nothing will happen, it won't (and it hasn't happened so far, not even including 20 years in Tijuana).

When I travel with a backpack I carry copies of documents there. My passport and creditcard on my front pocket and my money and various documents on my wallet. I feel safe like that, if a robber were to take my wallet they would only get little money and easily replaceable documents.

I just feel that it's somewhat easier to leave everything in the hotel but I guess I'll just travel with the most important documents on my person.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:05 am
I think there is probably a decision made for who on the street might have cash easily accessible and that's the mark. You're not it..

I don't even know if this stuff goes on any more, what with debit cards and greater use of credit cards by most.
0 Replies