Should I still go to Paris??

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:56 pm
See, I'm leaving for a ten day trip to Paris next week (Thursday 17th) but am a bit hesitant with what's going on - riots, official state of emergency, etc.

On one hand, there has been a single casualty in the whole thing, so it's not like I'm fearful of getting killed, and much of the media coverage is focusing on the violence throughout the smaller towns. However, with the curfew, neurotic environment, and random chaos, should I seek alternatives? Does anyone think I will still be able to enjoy the city? I certainly wouldn't want to spend too much time cooped up in my hotel room.....

I know better than to believe every word from the media, as some reports have the violence starting to die down today, while others are characteristically alarmist. Either way, I'm a bit stumped. With this issue being a national priority, I'm guessing stringent security measures will be in place round the capital's touristy areas, no?

I could still pick another destination if I act soon, but Paris was the original plan and it would be quite a disappointment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,308 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:01 pm
If you knew that there was a possible chance of a category 5 hurricane in Paris, would you still go?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:05 pm
Oh gutted.....Media always exaggerate issues, the travel warning here was that tourists were still ok to go, but to be warned, that buses, trains etc would probably have huge delay times..
I would probably still go but just stay away from the rough areas in the suburbs and keep to the tourist traps.
0 Replies

iduru

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:13 pm
Sure, just pay that extra 9 eruo a day for rental car insurance. Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:03 pm
What a drag. I have friends who were scheduled to go at the end of the month but they're now going elsewhere. Spain I think.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:35 pm
I'm a bit odd, I like cities as opposed to tourist traps.

I'd go there in a heartbeat.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:45 am
Going to Paris? This will be the best time to go, as it will be nice and quiet during the day, owing to a distinct lack of tourists.

If you've never been to Paris before, you will probably be doing all the tourist sites, which will involve one hell of a lot of walking. Visiting the Sacre Coeur will involve climbing about three million odd steps (if you go right to the top) on its own!.....but well worth it.

As a consequence, your legs will be exhausted by about 6pm, and you will probably fall into a deep sleep by about 9pm, thereby missing out on any disturbance.

The French police and military are second to none when it comes to securing an area, and they are not about to let their tourist trade be ruined, so you can guarantee a high profile presence in the relevant areas.

I remember walking around London, shortly after 9/11 and revelling in the fact that there was a distinct lack of people. Don't get me wrong, as it's lovely to reap the benefits of the tourist dollar/yen etc., but for a short while, it was quite nice to have a period of relative peace and quiet.

Go! ......I would. My understanding is that nothing happens during hours of daylight, and that the authorities are now stamping down hard, and should soon sort out the problem.

Anyway....Paris is very romantic. An early night won't do any harm, now and then, nudge nudge.

Don't forget to tell us all about it. Have a great time.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:18 pm
Paris is NOT burning! Stop saying (and believing, which is even worse) that!
There are som troubles in the "banlieue" (=suburb), but look, I LIVE in the "banlieue" I am there right now, writing to you! There is nothing! No burning cars, no police chasing youngsters, nothing! Stop being paranoiac (sp?) and just enjoy your trip!
Paris is a wonderfull city, and there is a constant presence of the police in the tourist areas and near the monuments (thanks to the "plan vigipirate", mostly).
Have a nice trip, and don't worry about that, and above all: stop believing in what your TV says!
0 Replies