Don't worry be happy, or else

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 06:33 pm
IT firm bans whinging

Whinging about the weather or the broken photocopier are sackable offences at a German company that has banned moaning.

Employees at IT company Nutzwerk Ltd, in Leipzig, have to agree to be in a good mood as part of their employment contract.

Manager Thomas Kuwatsch said those who get up on the wrong side of the bed should stay at home and work out their grumpiness rather than come into work.

But he warned those taking too much time off for bad moods would face the sack.

"We made the ban on moaning and grumpiness at work official after one female employee refused to subscribe to the company's philosophy of always smiling," he said.

"She used to moan so much that other employees complained about her complaining. Once it was part of the contract however, our employees really started to think positively.

"Mood is an important factor in productivity and everyone here works hard and is happy."

Kathleen Sochor, who has been with the company for four years, said: "It's great that whinging is not allowed. If one person is grumpy it makes everyone else feel bad and ruins what could be a good day."

Lawyer Marion von Sahr said: "In principle, employers and employees can contractually agree on anything if both sides are happy and that includes banning whinging.

"But I am not sure if being a sourpuss is enough reason to fire somebody."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 771 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:26 pm
Dee, I heard discussion of this article on a local station here. Seems a bit screwbally, but anything goes these days, I guess.

I could see someone who was a chronic complainer, but I can't see coming to work with a smile plastered on my mug every day.

In my job, I think I'm reasonably polite and friendly to most customers, although if someone is making a right jerk of themselves, I try to make a quick exit. I can't stand confrontation.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:37 pm
i hear you

plus chronically happy people are as big a pain as chronic complainers
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:35 pm
djjd62 wrote:
i hear you

plus chronically happy people are as big a pain as chronic complainers

haha, Yeah, real "Mary Poppins"!