Two drunken moose invade home for elderly

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 02:58 pm
http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2005/11/08/two_drunken_moose_invade_home_for_elderly/

The Boston Globe wrote:
STOCKHOLM, Sweden --They rarely have problems with drunks or rowdy animals, but residents of an elderly home in southern Sweden had to deal with both when a pair of intoxicated moose invaded the premises.

The moose -- a cow and her calf -- had become drunk over the weekend by eating fermented apples they found outside the home in Sibbhult, southern Sweden, said Anna Karlsson, who works there.

Police managed to scare them off once, but the large mammals returned to get more of the tempting fruits. This time the moose were drunk and aggressive, forcing police to send for a hunter with a dog to make them leave.

Police did not pursue the culprits, but made sure all apples were picked up from the area, local police chief Bengt Hallberg said. No one was hurt.

No word on whether freshly-pressed apple cider was on the following day's menu at the home.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 863 • Replies: 3
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:28 pm
Laughing

the residents stash was broken into....
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:34 pm
Well, now at least I know who bought my moose costumes on Ebay last month.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:01 pm
My favorite moose story:

Quote:

Bear-spooked moose makes off with swing set

By TONY BICKERT
Alaska Star
Naomi Naisinger of Eagle River wanted a swing set for her grandchildren, only she never expected a moose to deliver it.

But that's what happened after a grizzly bear surprised the cow and her two calves in a Raven Drive yard Saturday, according to Naisinger and her son, Ray Naisinger.

"Our next door neighbor came across the lawn and told me there was a grizzly about 100 yards away. Earlier that evening there was a cow and two calves in our backyard," said Ray, who said he thought no more about the matter because the moose family had since moved on to another yard.

"So, we sat down to have a cold beer and all of a sudden I heard this trampling of hooves," he said. "There was a lot of thrashing going on. Then here comes the moose with a swing set wrapped around its neck. She was running through the trees seeing if she could get that thing off."

The cow eventually dropped it in the Naisinger yard.

"It was an intensity," Ray said. "I've never seen that before."

Ray and his neighbors figured the bear got one or both of the calves, but on Monday he got word on the street that the three were sighted safe and sound.

Rick Sinnott, management biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, said when a bear tries for a moose calf the calves scatter as the cow attempts to distract the moose - in this case apparently by draping a swing set over its neck.

Naiomi said the swing set has been returned to its owner a few doors down the street.

"We had a fire here in March that destroyed everything, and I had been wanting a swing set for my grandkids," she said. "But I didn't expect a moose to bring it!"

http://www.alaskastar.com/stories/061604/new_20040616025.shtml
0 Replies