IMPORTANT:SCIENTISTS AND THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS. please help!

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:21 pm
PLEASE HELP:
I HAVE TO MAKE SOME KIND OF TIMELINE OR SOMETHING BTU I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW OR WHAT OR WHY.
HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surprised

Please complete the following timeline project in your biology notebook.
Research the following people: List some of their contributions to science and dates of these contributions.-

Robert Hooke-
Hans and Zacharias Janssen-
Anton van Leeuwenhoek-
Matthias Schleiden-
Theodor Schwann-
Rudolph Virchow.

Draw a timeline showing the chronological order of these scientists and their contributions.

Label the timeline with dates of the above scientists' discoveries.

The earliest date should be on the left of the timeline and the most recent date on the right.

Label each date with the corresponding scientist's name and contribution(s) in an organized and legible manner.

Be sure your spacing shows a reasonable approximation of the amount of time elapsed between dates.

Please answer each of the following questions in 2-3 complete sentences.
1. What theory did these scientists provide evidence for?

2. What instrument was necessary before the cell theory could be developed?

3. Which three scientists directly contributed evidence for the cell theory?

4. How did the earlier scientists and their contributions directly affect the discoveries of later scientists (see #2)? For example, what had to come first?

5. List the three parts of the cell theory.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 18,311 • Replies: 23
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:35 pm
Your pink font compels me to do your bidding, but your pathetic question warns me not to.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:18 pm
This type of assignment used to be so much more time consuming and difficult before GOOGLE and THE INTERNET.

I remember plowing through dusty old encyclopedia's in the pitiful school library and taking notes by hand on a piece of paper.

Now it's almost pathetically easy. With just a few cut/pastes, some quick google searches, a bit of editing and a decent printer and you can produce a high quality report in minutes without getting out of your chair and without even reading the biographies of the scientists.

"You too can become a human search and retrieve data transcriber, no thought required."
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 11:28 pm
Quote:
you kno wat.. just shut up stuh505
i asked for HELP, not for useless replies

All the questions you asked are answered in the instructions you already posted. There is not even any work to do. All you have to do is type the subjects into google or an encyclopedia and right down the straight forward answers.

You haven't even given a shot at doing the work, even though it would only take you a couple minutes...you just come on here and post your assignment hoping that you can avoid doing any work at all. Why do you even bother going to school?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 06:53 am
Have to agree with stuh I'm afraid lilar.

What bothers me is that ros's suggestion can have a student getting an A+ and knowing nothing about the subject.Your teacher needs a kick up the seat-end because he/she knows you can Google.This effect causes those students whose parents can afford computers to come top of the class and thus qualifications start being awarded on the basis of parent's income which sends a nation into a spiralling decline.

If I was you I would start with Robert Hooke and find out everything about him and tell your teacher what your doing.I'm assuming you are interested in biology but if you're not I'd spew it and get out earning some money.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:24 pm
spendius wrote:
What bothers me is that ros's suggestion can have a student getting an A+ and knowing nothing about the subject.

Mine was more of an observation than a suggestion.

I think teachers need to ask questions which require students to comprehend, rather than cut/paste. Although, several of this teacher's followup questions do seem to be asking for more creative answers.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:57 pm
I agree with you, but how can a teacher avoid the google-driven people and drag them down to the "oh-so-boring", unsocial and dark realm of the library?

Standard education methods are really being challenged with this technology. But hey, my mexican school has an awfull library! I gotta surf the web...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 06:57 pm
There's nothing wrong with using the internet. If the information is out there, go get it. Trouble is, the internet tends to have much less thorough explanations...and less older stuff. Still, I don't find myself needing to go to the library until I am doing personal research...hardly ever had to do it for school!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:15 pm
I cant blame the kids when its the teachers who are lazy also. I googled up "Timeline and cell theory and this is what I got. The damn teachers dont even do their own work, cell theory timeline

The very questions are canned, probably some part of no child's behind
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:18 pm
ep wrote-

Quote:
I agree with you, but how can a teacher avoid the google-driven people and drag them down to the "oh-so-boring", unsocial and dark realm of the library?

By inspiring them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:47 pm
I spent a few years looking up piazzas in any possible book in the ucla research library, hours mooning over books and making the odd photocopy and copious notes.

I suppose I could find all that and more now online, but I am not sure the connections would be so clear... back then I could ferret out who was riffing off of whom, or thought I could.

I am attached at the wrist to google myself, but I see much missing on it... much? very much.

Which brings up the matter of book sucking that is in the news recently...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:52 pm
Also, a person whose name I don't remember but who got serious attention complained about the loss of the old library indices and the notes that went with them. I think he, whatever his name, wrote at length about it in the NYer.
I tend by instinct to agree with him... especially re primo library card indices. Perhaps Barry something.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:28 pm
well its a methodology thats been replaced by Boolean inquiry and inferential drives. Anything you need is there and it doesnt matter whether you will learn or not because teachers only teach for the tests and that is the pity. We gettem in college and they are like untested unchallenged little lumps of mush.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:18 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
We gettem in college and they are like untested unchallenged little lumps of mush.

Wouldn't evolution say that they were descended from big lumps of mush?I don't think evolution predicts any dramatic changes in a generation or two.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:27 am
they have evolved a thrid hand for games however.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:33 am
You mean they can hold two sweet melons and stir their porridge at the same time?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:50 am
we dont eat porridge, we eat "grits"
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:59 pm
You old folks can complain the day away, but you can't speak from personal experience. In my own experiences, my high school was very rigorous. My college courses are more rigorous, but only because the subject matter is more advanced. On all the "light" subjects (humanities, etc), my high school was more rigorous than my college.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:39 pm
I dont get the educational system in the US. Here in Mexico we have the impression that "colleges" are a breeze. Basic education for people that will end up filling simple job positions, or menial tasks. I know, its completely biased and probably 100% wrong, but thats the idea.

Some of my friends here in TJ went to SD for some college education and returned dissappointed and bored.

...however, its a totally different story with universities. In that department I really respect and bow.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:44 pm
A college is part of a university.

You're probably thinking of Tech Schools or Community Colleges
0 Replies