A brush with death.

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:51 pm
I was sitting in my kitchen, sipping a cup of coffee and thinking of a story I had read on A2K about a deer jumping through some guy's window, resulting in a death struggle between the man and deer. Ultimately the man triumphed by snapping the poor misguided creature's neck. A movement caught my eye and glancing up I noticed a squirrel sailing through the air straight at my kitchen window. I realized what was happening immediately -- the squirrel, like the deer, had seen its own reflection in the window, and thinking it was a competitor in the quest for the sexy female squirrel, it charged, hellbent on destroying its adversary.

The glass exploded into a thousand fragments and the squirrel was on my table. It attacked.

I'm a fairly big guy, in relatively good shape, but we're talking about fighting an animal here. A sinewy, furry creature whose life is spent in the trees cultivating its muscles and sharpening its teeth. The fight was furious and carried us all around the kitchen, knocking over things in the process. Chairs tipped, cannisters exploded, and a leg on my ironing board was shattered.

The fight raged on and finally I was able to get the squirrel into a headlock. I thought I had the upperhand and was just about to attempt the twist maneuver and snap the demonic beast's neck when he made a quick move, like one of those wrestling things you see on the World Wrestling Federation, and I found myself pinned to the floor, arms unable to move. Slowly the beast lowered his head, his deadly incisors glistening in the morning light, his cold, beady eyes black as death and devoid of emotion.

I knew I was a goner.

"Gus!" a voice said, "Let's go! The boys are waiting for us at the bowling alley."

I looked up from where I was sitting at the table, coffee cup still in hand, and saw my cousin, Joe Birdidnick. He was asking me to come to the bowling alley. The whole squirrel incident must have been a dream. I started to rise out of my chair when a thought occured to me. My cousin Joe Birdidnick had been killed over a year ago, ripped to shreds by a pack of wild dogs.

At that point the squirrel's teeth begin to sink into my neck. I realized Joe Birdidnick's ghostly appearance from the netherworld must have been some sort of plea for me to not give up the fight. With a herculean effort I freed one of my arms and ripped the squirrel from my bleeding neck. I threw it across the room where it became impaled on the prong of a stuffed antelope in the corner. The light in the its eyes flickered for a second, a muscle twitched, and then death embraced the creature.

It was over. I collapsed on the floor and sobbed. I cried for the blood on my neck, the death of the squirrel, and the memories that were evoked by seeing my cousin Joe Birdidnick's brief respite from the grave.

I glanced up at the table and noticed my coffee cup had miraculously remained unspilled. Picking up a chair and sitting down at the table, I proceeded to finish the now tepid coffee.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,938 • Replies: 44
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:55 pm
You bastich!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:56 pm
What would you have done?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 11:03 pm
The african cobra stare of paralysis!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:58 am
squirrel stew for lunch today gus
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:57 am
<In my best Paul Robeson voice>

"I dreamed I saw Joe Birdidnick last night, alive as he could be..."

Nah, doesn't have the same ring about it Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:02 am
Says I, "But, Joe, you're ten years dead!"
"I never died," says he . . .
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:05 am
I never died says he..."
"Those copper bosses killed you Joe, they killed you with their lies."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:06 am
What's Gus' connection to the mining industry?

Should we be keepin' that boy under surveillance?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:09 am
I'm itchin' to get me a firin' squad - this is Utah after all Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:13 am
Utah, eh? I had no idea. I guess i always assumed the old goat roper hung out in the northwest with the granola crowd and the Second Amendment nuts . . .
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:23 am
*clapping* What a champion! Coffee gives strength! Hurray for Gus, and coffee!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:24 am
Aww Gus.

Couldn't you have just tried talking to the squirrel? He was confused and misunderstood. When he was a baby his mother locked up all the nuts and wouldn't let him eat. His father was a drunkard. There are many reasons why the squirrel became a bully seeking to knock out the competition.

I know, I know. Squirrels can't talk but I understand they are excellent mimes.

If you had only taken the time to watch the squirrel pantomine out his childhood angusih you two might have become friends.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:25 am
The spirit of the squirrel needs to be silenced in a solemn warriors fashion. You must do the right thing. You must take its body to the sacred kaibab plateau from whence came the squirrel.
Youve a mighty trek in front of you pilgrim. Ya better start now cause winter comes early and stays late in the high country.

Sacred squirrel bless you.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:29 am
farmerman wrote:
The spirit of the squirrel needs to be silenced in a solemn warriors fashion. You must do the right thing. You must take its body to the sacred kaibab plateau from whence came the squirrel.
Youve a mighty trek in front of you pilgrim. Ya better start now cause winter comes early and stays late in the high country.

forget the hike, "transform the body into a sacred kebab"

fire up the hibachi
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:29 am
farmerman wrote:

Don't forget to take the coffee beans and tobacco for the offering Gus.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:14 am
Setanta wrote:
Utah, eh? I had no idea. I guess i always assumed the old goat roper hung out in the northwest with the granola crowd and the Second Amendment nuts . . .

Actually, that is the only part of the country that has escaped my tentacles thus far in my slow octopian meanderings.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:21 am
Yet one more example of why you are -- and will always be -- my hero, Gus.

Was it a red or a grey squirrel?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:24 am
I suppose I can't grouch about the squirrel's savage butchery - Yesterday, two flies got past my dog-sentry and were clinging to the curtain. I smashed them with a flyswatter. That makes us blood warriors, I suppose, Gus.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:34 am
BBB
There's a rumor going around town that Gus is sporting a new squirrel skin hat. Must think he's the reincarnation of Daniel Boone.

Poor Gus, he's always wandering into the past. Must be the caffeine in his coffee.

BBB
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A brush with death.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 08:27:57