Thanking the Science of Non-Science

stuh505

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:14 pm
yesterday I was coming up the stairs and my back gave out for no apparent reason. I lay down, and couldn't get up, couldn't move in any direction because the pain in my spine was too great. finally after laying there for a while I was able to crawl to a phone and get someone to bring me to the hospital.

the hospital prescribed me some pain pills and said there was nothing else they could do, and they weren't really sure what the problem was. not exactly what I wanted to hear.

I could, with difficulty, manage to get myself in and out of the car...and hobble around, as long as I kept my back completely straight.

the next morning it was no better, I went to a chiropractor and he did some various things...nothing seemed to make a tremendous impact but when I got home, I was actually able to sort of sit down on the edge of a chair. what a relief.

we also have a very close family friend who is pretty amazing, a kung fu master, who makes his business off of that and concocting herbal medicines and doing acupuncture. a very authentic guy too.

well, I succumbed to the acupuncture, this was my first go at it. my mother has sworn by it ever since it cured her hip problems that thousands of dollars in doctors and state of the art medical knowledge had failed completely to do.

a few needles in the hand, and 30 minutes later I can sit down pretty normally...walk around and almost completely avoid the pain by focusing on my posture.

score 2 for non-science. I recognize that this is nothing new, and you have all heard about the powers of acupuncture before...but I've got to say, it just seems so silly that this still doesn't get more recognition. how can thousands of years of practice and success not be enough to constitute a controlled experiment?

is it because we don't know WHY it works, only that it does work? because that doesn't make it any less scientific. we don't know the WHY for a good portion of what we call science, but that doesn't make it any less tried and true.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 591 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:51 pm
there is a bit of science that surrounds acupuncture. Various neurotransmitters and dopamine centers are located in association with certain points in the body . Im not so sure that these points are very special since research has been done in controlled experiments that have resulted in acupuncture and pressure mimicking dopamine reactions. Theyve moved points all around the traditional chinese accupoints and didnt see much difference within certain limits but the dopamine receptors were stimulated.
I am now tapped out on this very subject and anyone whose gotten more results from some of these studies they did at U of Penn, let us know.

Nobody said that accupuincture was mumbo jumbo, Occidental science had not caught up with it. Neither has oriental science recognized the pain receptors and dopamines . One had a procedure, the other is beginning to explain it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:56 pm
I don't know much about it. My boss is a doctor of something, and he uses the needles in his practice. He lives in California, so I don't know more.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:02 pm
I once had a sharp pain in my upper arm every time I tried to put a fag out in an ashtray.I daren't go to the doctor's as I knew he would say that I should stop smoking.

So I tried the needles and I haven't felt a thing since.In my upper arm I mean.

Maybe I'm neurotic.If I am I can say that it's not all that bad.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:22 pm
no gay bashing on A2K there spendi
0 Replies