German Professors Declare War on English Terms

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:00 pm
Link to German Professors

Quote:
A group of German university professors, angered by the U.S.-British war against Iraq, have launched a campaign to replace many popular English-language words used in Germany with French terms.

Hey, the Americans started that idiocy with the "Freedom Fries!"

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,230 • Replies: 25
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:02 pm
Stupidity is contagious!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:05 pm
Well if the Germans are going to get all moody, I spose we'll have to ban BMWS, MERCS, AND THINGS. Or pull down some old statue
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:10 pm
IMO, the professors are attempting to separate themselves from anything American or British. I think that their tune will change fast, when Germany will be looking to get a "piece of the action" in the reconstruction of Iraq.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:02 pm
Careful, oldandnew, to us old timers "mercs" refers to Ford mercurys, still desirable to collectors.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:18 pm
Phoenix

Your link leads to the Reuters article.

The link to the "professors website" is

http://www.sprache-in-der-politik.de/aktuelles.htm

It's a registered association, translated "language in politics". They suggest to change new anglism to the former used French words (Gallicism), because the English couldn't be used as a "Leitkultur" anymore.
Their suggestions should show that unlawful agression isn't tolerated by the international community.

All members of the executive board of this associaton are German (language) linguists, btw.

The news about this was published here in Germany - if published at all - in the 'Varia/Panorama/"You-wont-believe-it"- sections' of the magazines/papers some days ago.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:21 pm
Ah flyboy --- we don't get ford mercurys on our side of the babbling brook. Did see a Ford Galaxy about 40 years ago and a Chevy Impala once or twice.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 04:30 pm
I don't see any harm as long as they stick to words...... Smile c.i.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 07:00 pm
Walter, being a linguist proves very little.

(At least they're not members of the Bundestag.)

And the French say "OKah" much more often than "d'accord".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:45 pm
fbaezer

That was just the reason -them being linguists- why I named that.

Well, and okay/d'accord in France: obviously, this depends on where you are and/or with whom you talk.
I've always made different observations.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:57 pm
Walter, It would be nice if the Germans would change the road signs from "Phart" to "out." Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:59 pm
Should then happen with timetables etc as well, c.i,, :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:07 am
I think it's a good idea, and long overdue. I don't like seeing a language being sullied by 'chewing gum' from another.

It's been done in Quebec for about the last 20-25 years. There are very significant fines to companies that don't give priority to French advertising over English. When I took French in school, and was in a residential immersion program in Quebec, we lost marks if we were caught anywhere either mixing English into our French or saying um or er. I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to language. It's got nothing to do with the current political situation for me. I'd congratulate anyone who makes an effort to keep MickeyD language out of German or French or any other language.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:29 am
ehBeth- It would not be so funny if the German linguists wanted their expressions to be German. That would make sense. But what they are attempting to do is changing English expressions for FRENCH ones! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:40 am
Phoenix, I don't think it's funny in any appreciable way.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:46 am
ehBeth- Well, maybe funny was a poor choice of words. Ironic would be more like it. I think that a definite statement is being made. In and of itself, it is not very crucial, but it DOES reflect shifting of alliances!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:47 am
Phoenix

They want to change them to the original forms, as the words were used here for centuries and/or have been created for centuries.

About one years ago, linguists tried to "re-invent" German(ic) words by creating new words for all those French (infuenced) ones.
Didn't work.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:53 am
Walter- Aha! Didn't know that. Thanks for the background. But it does seem coincidental that the German linguists are attempting to de-anglicize (is that a word? Confused ) at THIS particular point in time!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 06:16 am
It's not all coincidence!

They say explicite that we shouldn't use these words due to ... guess what. (The chairman and a couple of others are from the new countries. Since they have lived quite a time in a so-to-say 'occupied country', the opposition to any war is in the former GDR the greatest here in Germany.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 12:11 pm
It's just the timing of all this that makes it look ridiculous. Laughing c.i.
0 Replies