Favorite Concert(s)?

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:47 pm
What was the best live performance/favorite band you've seen?

I've been to a ton of concerts, and I don't know if I could narrow it to one.

For entertainment value, the first concert I ever went to, Motley Crue, was the best. Pyrotechnics, great sound, girls getting naked, plus I was only 14, and was probably a little overwhelmed by it all.

Favorite band to see, because they play absolutely AMAZING live, is Tool. Alot of you probably don't know who they are, or like them, but I've never heard a band play as "tight" as them. Also their drummer is phenomenal. Drum set is the size of my living room.

Other good times: Saw The Who last summer, at first I was thinking "wow, they're old...this is an old crowd," then they had that place rockin' crazy. Tori Amos, great voice, looked really sexual straddling a bench while playing a piano+an organ. Rolling Stones put on a good show although my seats were 4 miles away. Beastie Boys were awesome live...Run DMC....list goes on.

Unfortunately, I missed New Kids on the Block.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,610 • Replies: 49
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:22 pm
Where'd you see the Who last summer? If it was Great Woods (yeah, I know it's the Tweeter Center but that's a dumb name, IMHO) then we may've seen ya.

That was the second time I'd seen the Who (Mr. Jespah has seen them several times) and they were great both times.

Saw Bruce Springsteen twice during the River tour and he was fantastic; would be tough to watch him now, I think, as he has too many more commercial "must-play"-type hits, plus he won't do a four-hour show anymore.

Saw Elvis Costello at the NY Piers back in - eek, 1981 (?). Truly a great show even though Talk Talk opened and they overstayed their welcome more than a little bit.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:36 pm
Yes, I saw the Who at the "Tweeter Center." I though they were great. Robert Plant was a little flaky, huh? It was cool to see him though, I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan. Hey, were you that person, standing in the crowd?

I haven't seen Bruce Springsteen, I'd like to, I heard he puts on a really good live show.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:40 pm
Have to say the most fun I ever had a concert was when I went to see Motorhead.

Ok, I'll write more. I've been to many concerts. I've been to many shows. The difference between the two being band popularity and venue size. I love LOVE love seeing shows in smaller clubs. Big concerts always seem just like TV. I want to feel the music, be absorbed by it. I just don't get that at concerts.

So, having said that, back to motorhead. The band is famous (mostly), but the venue was small. They threw in a curve ball and played BEFORE the opening band so the place was even less crowded than it was later when Slayer (ha!) played. I was wedged against the stage just to the side of the stack of amplifiers. Lemmy was about 3 feet away from me. And, I was there with several very good friends whe all would happily die for (ok, maybe not) Lemmy. Good time! I was also un-fettered by drugs/alcohol.

I liked seeing jane's addiction in the fitchburg civic center. I liked seeing Neil Young. Motley Crew was pretty funny, but I was stoned beyond belief and pretty much don't remember anything. I saw John Fogarty in Atlanta, that was pretty cool - great band backed him up. But, Seeing motorhead and seeing cheap trick in a smallish club in Atlanta were the best.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:44 pm
The Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans was the best I've ever seen.

Right up there is Black Sabbath when they were touring to support their first album way back when, Mahavishnu Orchestra and part of that was because I was tripping so hard..no wait, scratch that I was tripping at all of them, Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and any AC/DC show.

Tool is really smoking, I agree, but I've never seen 'em live. I'd like to.

You should check out Porcupine Tree if you like Tool. They're more
wide spread in terms of style, but every bit as good and they have a Tool like quality to a lot of their stuff.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:51 pm
December 29, 1999. Tampa.

Seven Dust. Creed. Kid Rock and Metallica.

I saw the Flock of Seagulls when I was sixteen. Not impressed.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:52 pm
B-PB - I saw black sabbath a bit past it's heyday - 1999 in NC. Ozzy was a mess, the band was kind of laughing at him, the arena was more than 1/2 empty. Sort of sad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:53 pm
Oh, and AC/DC sink the pink was a crappy record, but it was still cool seeing them play!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:58 pm
I can't believe you saw Slayer K..that's great. Talented songwriters, those guys. I used to dig them. Never had any Motorhead albums back when I listened strictly to headbangin' music though. Seeing someone in a smaller venue is defintiely better.
Pink Floyd is the one band I really wish I could have seen.
BP, you're a huge fan of Yes, huh? I don't know if I've ever heard them, I gotta check em' out.
Metallica is another I want to see, I heard they're awesome live.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:01 pm
Metalica always rubbed me the wrong way, not sure why. I never had motorhead albums as a kid. But I loved them when they popped up on a young ones show. I got into them later - as an adult.

Yeah, that sexy (not!) lead singer guy from Slayer winked at me.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:04 pm
Metallica is touring this summer as part of one of those Ozzfest type deals.......I'm sure an area as large as Boston will have a date...check their web site.

Little k where in my God loved home state did you Black Sabbath?

Had to be Raleigh or Charlotte I would think. Possibly Greensboro.

A friend of mine whose band used to open for mine all the time is now a lighting designer out of Nashville and does Slayers' tours. Kiss too.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:06 pm
That is a proud moment indeed.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:07 pm
The wink, I meant.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:08 pm
pink floyd summer of '72 dark side of the moon- chicago
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:14 pm
Slappy ~ you heard correctly. I wasn't a huge fan of Metallica, but I knew of them. That all changed after the concert. I'm not fond of their 'garage' days ~ I'd say the last ten years are my favorites.

A#1 son and I are going to see them in July.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:15 pm
Here are mine:

Ramones (Eugene, OR, 1978), crowd of about 50 at the start (and fewer at the end).

Elvis Costello (same place, exactly a week later, slightly bigger crowd).

Elvis Costello (Edinburgh Fringe Festival, 1980).

Who (Portland, OR, 1976).

Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe (Eugene, OR c 1979).

Dr. Feelgood (Liverpool, UK, 1980)

Lucinda Williams (Seattle, a few months ago).

All great shows...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:19 pm
I like the older Metallica better...I don't have any albums after the self titled one with the black cover.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:21 pm
I also forgot to mention Jimmy Buffet. The show was a good time, the whole atmosphere was great, people just hammered everywhere. And my seats were pretty close too.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:32 pm
I 'heard' Jimmy Buffet, rather than saw him because we couldn't get tickets, in 1985. He performed at the Florida Institute of Technology, which happens to be on a main road through Melbourne. A friend and I parked the car, got as close as we could and enjoyed the concert 'outside' with about three thousand other folks who couldn't get tickets.

Jimmy Buffett is awesome.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:45 pm
Hmm, most fun concerts were probably The Police Picnic, 1983, mostly for the dude behind us snorting chemical THC and barfing a lot...he was funny....good show as well, with Peter Tosh and James Brown, who were awesome. Also fun, Destroyer, a Kiss cover band I saw in Montreal who were hilarious. Left the makeup on after the show and sat around the bar trying to pick up chicks.

Saw Tori Amos at a tiny club on the Little Earthquakes tour, fantastic....sat so close I could almost touch her, was it not for the restraining order Sad

For pure sonic value, the Kodo Drummers, and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

David Bowie....twice, Serious Moonlight tour, which kinda sucked, then on the Earthling tour, in a way smaller venue, and it rocked. I took a wrong turn on my way to the can and found myself beside the stage. That really was cool.... Cool
0 Replies