Forces and Equilibrium

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:09 pm
Are there any forces in nature or science that balance out all other forces?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,152 • Replies: 14
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 09:42 pm
Yeah, friction and drag force tend to cancel out other forces. Any object that is not moving has it's forces balanced out.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 06:37 pm
That's not what I menat, what forces can balance out:
electrical force?
magnetic force?
Weak force?
Strong force?

If someone was coming at you with chemical energy, what force can counter that?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 07:42 pm
What are they going to do... splash luciferase on me?

When do we get to the pointed sticks?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:23 pm
That's still not what I meant-are there such things as chemical charges?

Are there such thngs as equilibrium forces?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 02:43 pm
Quote:
That's still not what I meant-are there such things as chemical charges?

Are there such thngs as equilibrium forces?

This isn't a game of Pokemon Razz

A force is nothing more than an inclination to change motion. There are no different "types" of force, only different sources of force. All force is the same. Any force can cancel out any other type of force.

And in your question about chemical charges, yes there are chemical charges. Chemicals are bound together by charges, because atoms have charges...and molecules that are formed have charges because the atoms can be configured in non-symmetrical ways, these are called polar molecules. Molecules that are missing or have added extra atoms are called ions and exhibit a desire to get back atoms to balance them out again.

These ions have attractive and repulsive forces and behave very much like electrical charge. For instance, people often say that there is electricity in the human body right?

Remember when Morpheus likens the human body to a battery? That's a horrible analogy for many reasons...but the point is that the chemicals of potassium and sodium and others are ions that are used to send "electrical" signals within our body. If you want to learn more, read about "action potentials."
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 06:05 am
err, give me a force that cancels out the curvature of spacetime and time diliation caused by a large gravitational mass. Apart from the theorised inflaton field (correct spelling, not inflation field) caused during inflation - what else cancels gravity?

And even if you nailed this - try cancelling an inflaton field - anti-quantum gravity anyone?

Then you have to deal with entropy always raising in any reaction - can't beat this one and what you are asking would have to have this outcome - so another major nail in the coffin. I also feel the uncertainity principle would unglue this attempt - else you could construct an experiement to invalidate it - and this is just one law that doesn't ever budge!

Perhaps the closest you can come to answering your original question is simply a 180 degrees out of phase and opposite directional force for e/m radiation and ponder if anti s-particles might work on the nuclear forces. But gravity is a tough one given it affects both space and time. I don't think even theorised dark energy can undo all the effect of a gravitational field.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:51 am
Quote:
But gravity is a tough one given it affects both space and time. I don't think even theorised dark energy can undo all the effect of a gravitational field.

All forces are the same in a free body diagram, any force can cancel any other force, that's all the question was asking
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:05 pm
Is there such a thing as quantum nebulizatoin?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 06:04 pm
What if you had a very powerful vacuum to counter the fall of a falling object?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 06:20 pm
If the forces are equal and opposite then they are said to cancel, and the object's acceleration (not velocity) drops to zero in that axis.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 06:05 pm
Are there any new forces created or discoved besides the four forces found in nature?
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:55 am
In a relativistic framework - we don't have any non theoretical candidates. In a non relativistic frame, any that fit your theoretical model, e.g. quantum gravity for high energy density volumes or quantum physics for very small Planck volume or Planck time bounded (i.e. extremely small or extremely short lived) spaces or events.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:17 am
JGoldman10 wrote:
Is there such a thing as quantum nebulizatoin?

How about you take a high school Physics class instead of pulling things out of science fiction? What you've been doing on this board for awhile is akin to trying to speak Estonian without taking a lesson.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:18 pm
I'd rather take a college course.
0 Replies