Fossil evidence for the mythical creatures of ancient greece

stuh505

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:13 am
I have watched an interesting show on the History channel showing a new theory that the ancient greeks were avid fossil hunters...apparently, hundreds of modern fossil sites mentioned in their writing have been linked to modern fossil sites. There is a lot of evidence suggesting that their mythical creatures such as the Griffin were their attempts at reconstructing the bones of dinosaurs that they had found!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,737 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 09:04 am
I can believe this theory, owing to the fact that the Dragon became famous in England, shortly after fossil hunters dug up an anonymous mother in law by mistake.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:18 pm
Re: Fossil evidence for the mythical creatures of ancient gr
stuh505 wrote:
There is a lot of evidence suggesting that their mythical creatures such as the Griffin were their attempts at reconstructing the bones of dinosaurs that they had found!

I wouldn't be surprised. Mis-matching bones makes for a very colorful world of imaginary creatures indeed.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:21 pm
Still happens today.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:42 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Still happens today.

It probably does to a certain extent, but now that we understand evolution, the major errors can be eliminated (eagle headed lions like the Griffin for example), and we are left with a clearer view of the biological past.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 02:29 pm
Yes, it is easy to see how their imaginations could piece together pieces of existing animals for bones that resembled those of modern animals

...and if there were no professionals examining these thoroughly, the descriptions could easily be passed along by word of mouth and embellished...and the gigantic un-assembled bones could act as convincing evidence for creatures of any shape

Being able to unify these creatures of our predecessors with our dinosaurs gives me a heartening feeling Smile

In the early days of modern archeology they have made mistakes also, if anyone comes across any of these modern mistakes please post a link to it here.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
that is a great thought.
I would have never come to that conclusion, yet it makes perfect sense..
0 Replies