Lovatts Colossus no.101, Giant Cryptic Competition

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:16 pm
Hello, this is Butterfly.

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with the following clue:

24D. Traffic can't move when they're on (6)
I have - ?r?k?s (if the letters that I do have are correct!)

The only answer that seems to make sense is 'brakes', but I just want to make sure that it's right. I have been up all night finishing the cryptic competition and my brain is a bit addled at the moment! Laughing

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thankyou, Butterfly Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 985 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:13 am
Lovatts Giant Cryptic 101
Hi Butterfly

You are probably spot on with "brakes".
These are all the other words you can find with the letters supplied, but none do connect with the question asked. (crakes,drakes,drakos,frakes,krokos,krokus,perukes,prokos and trikes).

Giant Cryptic 101, how do you get your copy so early(subscriber?), won't be at Newsagent here until Thursday 3 November!

Regards Dutchy Very Happy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:17 am
Hi Dutchy, It's nice to talk to you again.
I had a feeling you would reply to my distress signal! Laughing
Thankyou for your help, it is always greatly appreciated!
'brakes' must be the go - I was just so tired last night and it seemed a bit iffy at the time. I feel reassured now with your reply!
For many years I used to buy all my Lovatts books from the local newsagent, but I saved up and became a subscriber to 'the lot' about a year ago now. I find that they arrive in the mail a few days/ to a week before they go on sale in stores.
If you have trouble with any cryptic clues in this new issue just post and let me know and i will help you. Thanks again Dutchy!
Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:24 pm
Hi Butterfly

Guess who is the winner of Lovatt's online "Big" for October? Very Happy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:43 pm
Hi Dutchy

Congratulations on your win in the Lovatts October Online Big Crossword competition, I am so happy for you! Laughing All of your hard work has paid off!
Does this mean that 'Dutchy' is 'Danny'?

Enjoy your prize!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:33 pm
Hi Butterfly

Thanks for best wishes. This win was years in the making! Just love doing whatever Lovatts dishes up, been doing them for years and a bonus like this keeps the ego going. Yes is the affirmative to your question.

Kindest regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:35 am
Hi Dutchy

I'm so glad I accidently stumbled across this website a few months ago and joined! It is so wonderful to be able to meet and talk to other devoted Lovatts crossword fans, like yourself, and be able to seek help with difficult clues, or to give help back whenever possible.

Congratulations once again on your win Dutchy!
Talk to you again soon Laughing
Warm regards, Butterfly (Kim) Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:37 pm
Hi Butterfly

Obtained Colossus No.101 from my Newsagent yesterday. Been working on the Cryptic all night and have about 50% completed. I've only been doing Cryptic's for a little while and am still an amateur in this field. Have you finished yours? May call on your help later on :wink:

Kind regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 09:53 pm
Friday, November 4th. 2.40pm

Hi Dutchy

I have finished the 101 Cryptic Competition completely now- fingers crossed that it is all correct! Laughing Post here if you get stuck and I will help you.

I am racing to complete my Colossus 100 Stinker competition and post it by last mail this afternoon, thankfully it is almost finished!
For 243D. "salad greens", did you put "lettuce" or "celtuce" as your answer?

Talk to you soon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:27 am
Hi Butterfly

It is now 5.45pm, so my answer is possibly to late to be in time for your entry! Sorry.

Re salad greens, celtuce is also mentioned as lettuce in my dictionary, so either word is possibly correct, I can't check what I filled in as my entry went in a few days ago and I do not keep copies except for the Cryptics.

Need 6 more words for Cryptic 101 and will work on them tonight, if I can't succeed I'll get back to you tomorrow. Will use this message again. Have a nice weekend.

Kindest regards Dutchy Very Happy
0 Replies

Allana

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 05:46 pm
cryptic 101 12a has me stumped as Iam still a learner with cryptics
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 06:30 pm
Hi Allana

For 12a I have "malpractice"

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies