Digital radio

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 10:13 am
Our only all-classical radio station is considering being sold. Its bandwidth is sufficient to accomodate 2 stations. I have read that one may still be classical which is great, but reference was made to it being a digital station. Does this need a different kind of radio or can one still use the ordinary boombox, Walkman, etc to receive it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 896 • Replies: 5
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 01:09 pm
No need to panic - Digital/HD Radio has justed poked its head over the North American horizon (a form of it has been available in Europe for a while now). Its coming, and coming on strong, but it has quite a way to go yet. Eventualy, it, like its television counterpart the ATSC digital television broadcast standard, will replace analog radio broadcast, both AM and FM - though the total, "this-is-it-now" switchover is at least a decade or more off. In the meanwhile, as stations begin to deploy the new digital broadcast scheme, they will continue to simulcast their analog programming for the folks who haven't yet picked up Digital/HD Radio-capable receivers.

Quote:
NYT (Subscription required): Receivers race to catch digital revolution on the radio
By Glenn Fleishman
Published: July 28, 2005
New York Times

Plug a set of headphones into a radio tuned to an FM jazz station. Hear the hiss at the bottom of the range and the fuzz at the top. Remember why you like compact discs.

But don't be impatient: wait eight seconds. An "HD" light appears on the tuner. And now the bottom drops out. The hiss turns to silence. The stereo channels separate, opening a cramped room into a performance hall. And the high fuzz is now crisp high notes from a trumpet or Ella Fitzgerald.

You have just heard terrestrial digital radio. Or you would have - if you could get your hands on a receiver.

Satellite digital radio has captured the attention of consumers and investors with its billions spent and millions of paying subscribers. But a quiet digital revolution has hit the AM and FM dials as well: more than 450 stations in the United States now broadcast one or two digital channels alongside analog ones. At least 2,000 of the more than 12,000 stations in the country are committed to adding the format.

The technology to make this happen - called in-band on-channel, or IBOC - hides digital signals at low power in the spaces between stations. Only one company's technology has been approved by the Federal Communications Commission: HD Radio from iBiquity Digital. (IBiquity says HD does not stand for high definition - or anything else.)

Digital AM sounds like present-day stereo analog FM. Digital FM not only improves fidelity and stereo reception, providing a dynamic audio range approaching that of a compact disc, but also makes use of enough bandwidth to allow multiple channels.

An HD Radio tuner takes eight seconds to lock onto and start playing a digital stream; the analog broadcast seamlessly switches into richer audio, providing a demonstration of its improved quality.

Unlike satellite radio, digital AM and FM are free to listeners. But only a few tens of thousands of car tuners equipped to decode the signals have been sold in the 18 months since the first product was shipped, according to Dan Benjamin, a senior analyst at ABI Research in Oyster Bay, N.Y. Home tuners are just reaching the market.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/6965/digitalradio3dj.jpg NEW YORK TIMES
Kenwood, the earliest HD Radio maker, has 40 models compatible with an adapter (top). Yamaha released the first home digital radio, the RX-V4600 (bottom).

How digital radio works

IBOC uses a part of the spectrum just outside the frequency used for a radio station's conventional signals.

HD Radio is capable of great range with a small fraction of the power of analog radio. In a test by National Public Radio and WNYC-FM, a 57-watt transmitter on the Empire State Building reached almost all of WNYC's coverage area, with a population of 16 million, according to Mike Starling, NPR's vice president for engineering.

The technology sends multiple streams of data over very narrow frequencies to solve the problems of analog AM and FM reception. The streams are separately received, synchronized and assembled by the radio tuner.

In AM, this avoids having signals fade in short tunnels and will prevent noise from electrical motors. "It gets rid of the majority of problems with AM radio," said Thomas R. Ray III, director of engineering for Buckley Broadcasting and WOR-AM, a commercial talk-radio station in New York that has added digital transmissions.

With FM stations, multipath reflection can be controlled with HD Radio, avoiding audible echoes from signals bouncing off buildings. "You don't get that sort of 'fumth-th-th-fumth' sound," said Stephen Shenefield, director of product development at Boston Acoustics, an audio equipment manufacturer.

FM radio has a larger spread of unused spectrum, and National Public Radio and public radio stations successfully pushed the F.C.C. to allow multicasting, or multiple digital channels of different quality for existing stations. The F.C.C. allows a second digital channel with a waiver; up to five channels may be permitted in the future.

What's on

Public radio produces much more programming than its member stations can broadcast: 300 hours a week, Mr. Starling of NPR said. NPR is now offering five full-time music streams to stations for HD Radio multicasting as well. "If we had more shelf space, we could do more format focusing," Mr. Starling said.

KUOW-FM in Seattle broadcasts what it calls KUOW2, a full slate of reruns of local and network programs with a dedicated host.

Commercial broadcasters, too, are taking note. Clear Channel, which owns 1,200 stations, says it is committed to taking 95 percent of its stations in the top 100 markets digital within three years. Among the attractions is HD Radio's ability to deliver data streams alongside audio. The system can already carry program-associated data, like a song title, artist and album name. But the capacity exists for much more.

Robert J. Struble, chairman and chief executive of iBiquity, noted that the text of advertising messages could be synchronized to display on a radio's readout as a related commercial was broadcast. Other uses include traffic updates for car navigation systems and private commercial data transmissions.

A future version of the technology will feature a data uplink that could let stations have a "buy now" button for songs. "There's no better place to make an impulse purchase than when I'm sitting in traffic," Mr. Struble said.

HD Radio has the potential to limit access to certain channels by receiver serial number, much as with satellite digital radio, so that specific programming could be delivered for a fee.

Mr. Starling mused that the "buy now" button might read "pledge now" for public radio stations, and that a station could allow only listeners who donate funds to tune to a digital channel free of fund-raising during pledge drives.

How to listen

HD Radio was limited to car receivers from its retail introduction in January 2004 until June 2005. The earliest HD Radio manufacturer, Kenwood (kenwoodusa.com), now has 40 models compatible with a $399 HD Radio adapter; other makers have a few products released, but a flood is in the pipeline. A representative of Visteon, a major automotive systems supplier, said automakers could offer HD Radio as an option in the 2006 model year.

Yamaha (www.yamaha.com) released the first home radio in June, its RX-V4600 ($1,900), a home entertainment centerpiece. In tests of all Seattle-area FM HD Radio stations using the Yamaha unit, the results were breathtaking. Tuning in secondary multicast channels, however, required use of the remote control and was awkward.

Three companies plan simpler tabletop tables, each of which will add multicast digital stations sequentially: turning the dial will tune through those secondary stations.

The Radiosophy receiver docks in a speaker unit; together, the two parts cost $259 direct from the company, including shipping. Radiosophy expects to offer a car adapter kit later. The receiver includes analog and digital optical outputs. The company (www.radiosophy.com) expects to ship the product in September.

The Recepter Radio HD ($499) made by Boston Acoustics (www .bostonacoustics.com) has a single built-in speaker and a satellite speaker to produce stereo audio. It is also a clock radio, and has stereo input and multiple outputs. The radio should be available in late August.

Polk Audio has built HD Radio into a more elaborate all-in-one entertainment system that includes a CD and DVD player and speakers, and multiple inputs and outputs. The $599 unit, called the I-Sonic, is also equipped for satellite XM Radio through a plug-in module. Polk Audio has delayed shipping until late in the year (www.polkaudio.com).

No one in the industry expects to replace a billion analog radios overnight. Even Mr. Struble of iBiquity put the most optimistic date for an analog shutdown as 12 years from now, though he thought that was unlikely.

Still, there are already listeners, however few. "The last time we had to shut down the HD - off for any reason - we had eight phone calls," Mr. Ray of WOR said. "People wanted to know why."

From iBIQUITY, the main player in the US Digital/HD Radio game:
Quote:
iBIQUITY: HD Radio

HD Radio technology enables AM and FM radio stations to broadcast their programs digitally - a tremendous technological leap from the familiar analog broadcasts of the past. These digital broadcasts provide listners with new wireless data services and radically improved audio quality and reception. And, as always, it's all FREE for consumers. To learn more, go to What is HD Radio. <--- click to read rest of article - timber

A commentary on HD Radio, from a (fairly techy) review of the Yamaha RX-V4600 Receiver:
Quote:
Audioholic: Listening to HD Radio on the RX-V4600
Radio seems to be the lost format in the home theater and music realm these days. Only a decade or so ago, tuner fanatics used to tweak and mod their AM/FM tuners for higher performance (see Yamaha T-80 Vintage Tuner Review). With tuner performance becoming less of a priority in preamps and receivers these days, this further caused a loss of focus on FM radio being taken seriously as a high quality source. Luckily the digital era we embraced seems to have addressed this. Enter HD Radio from Ibiquity Digital Corporation.

Some of the Key Benefits Touted About HD Radio technology include:

• Enhanced sound quality and reception over standard FM radio.

• Application services offering new features and information.

• Easy upgrade path to convert from analog to digital radio without service disruption using existing radio channels and bandwidth.

• Elimination of static noise and fading associated with conventional analog broadcasts due to multipath, noise and interference.

• Allowing radio broadcasters to send audio and data content via digital signals on the existing AM/FM bands.

• No subscription fee.

The last bullet certainly strikes points with me. At last - a high resolution broadcast format free to the general public. To get started, I advise checking out Ibiquity's website to locate HD Radio-capable channels in your area. I selected Florida, my home state, and got this list:

Station
Band
Frequency
Format

WBVM
FM
90.5 MHz
Christian Contemporary

WPOI
FM
101.1 MHz
80's Hits

WSUN
FM
97.1 MHz
Alternative

WWRM
FM
94.9 MHz
Soft AC

WFLA
AM
970 kHz
News/Talk/Sport

Using nothing more than the dental floss monopole FM antenna wire supplied with the RX-V4600, I began tuning in stations. The strongest station in this list was 97.1MHz which, from my home, could be picked up on a decent tuner without the use of an antenna (or a teenager's braces when they open their mouths.) Within a second or so, the RX-V4600 locked onto the 97.1MHz HD Radio signal. My initial impressions were that I must have been listening to one of the music channels on my satellite receiver, because I was hearing no static or noise associated with AM/FM broadcasts. It wasn't until I heard the DJ and annoying commercials that my brain convinced my ears I was listening to a local radio station, though with CD-like fidelity. The HD Radio signal sounded much clearer and more detailed than standard FM making radio almost bearable. The AM HD Radio station was a bit too weak for me to lock onto which was a shame since I would have loved to listen to my favorite talk radio - the Phil Hendrie Show noise free. I am not a big fan of radio, but if bubble gum pop or two-chord so-called "alternative rock" is your game, than you will certainly dig listening to it using this system. Best of all, it won't cost you anything other than purchasing a good antenna, though the Yamaha supplied ones may do you just fine.

I've heard Digital/HD Radio, on a really nice (read: "Big, Big Bucks") system in a dealer's showroom - impressive. Real impressive. Right now, though, the equipment is brand-new-technology-pricey, and there isn't much program material available in most of the country; the stations which do offer Digital/HD Radio almost exclusively are in major metro areas. I'm gonna be patient. I'll get there, of course, but I'm gonna wait for lower prices, wider gear choices, and lots, lots more program material. Its coming, for sure, but it ain't quite "Here" yet. My guess is it will start getting lotsa retail hype along about next Holiday Season, and its growth will begin to ramp up just about exponentially from that point.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 01:28 pm
Digital radio
I panic not over the thought of buying a new species of radio, but over the fear that we might be stuck without classical radio if WCRB's purchaser decides not to keep the classical programming at all. a number of serious disabilities makes classical radio one of my Significant Other's few independent enjoyments.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 01:48 pm
timberlandko wrote:
a form of it has been available in Europe for a while now

We've got digital radio - not a form of it :wink: - called DAB digital radio.

Most staions (more than 50) are to be found in London, while here in Germany in some states you just 5 or 6.
Have got it my car (analogue as well) and like it extremely.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:03 pm
While I haven't heard actual broadcast European Digital Radio, I've read quit a bit about it, and I have heard the internet version of it - mostly via BBC web feeds. Not the same, I know, though with broadband and a higher-end computer sound setup, not bad at all. Its even quite good piped to my main home entertainment rig, which fills a room not just with sound but with gear, and verges on the capability of inflicting physical damage to the structure housing it, to say nothing of endangering the hearing of those in proximity to it Mr. Green

As with television broadcast standards, there are differences between the fairly well-established European system and the just-firing-up North American system, meaning, essentially, both systems are "forms" of digital radio.

The BEEB has a pretty good portal website for the form of digital radio offered "across the pond": BBC Digital Radio - browse its several pages and chase the many, many links for a decent, if Anglo-centric, overview.

With XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite radio, we culturally-backwards types here in The States have a robust, fairly mature, though fee-for-subscription, as opposed to free-over-the-air, digital radio service. Having tried both Sirius and XM, I personally prefer the XM flavor, and have been a subscriber since the format's late Beta period. The audio quality generally ranges from very good to superb, and there is plenty of very diverse program material available, now including spot-beam downlinking of local-interest material, such as weather, traffic, news, and event reporting to specific individual metro areas.

Satellite Radio, whatever flavor, is not the same as broadcast Digital/HD Radio. Though the feature and function list of satellite radio is constantly expanding, as is the available programming, broadcast, free-over-the-air Digital/HD radio holds great promise, and bodes well to far surpass Satellite Radio in terms of features and functions. And, of course, there is that whole "Free" thing - real attractive in and of itself.

I don't really anticipate over-the-air Digital/HD radio will suplant or replace Satellite Radio, any more than have Satellite or Cable Television replaced Terrestrial Broadcast Television, digital or analog. Both digital broadcast and satellite radio formats will serve large, overlapping markets, just as do their television counterparts today. Inevitably, it all, television and radio, will be wholly digital, with analog nothing more than a "back there" mile-marker on the road of progress. Thats just the way things work. A hundred years ago, harness making and ice houses were stable, major industries, represented in every population center of any size. We still till the soil and still move goods and people over land, and we still chill foodstuffs and other things, we just don't use horses and harnesses or sawdust and blocks of ice to get the job done any more. The jobs remain, the means of accomplishing those jobs have changed.

All in all, though I'm not ready to take the plunge quite yet, I will, and if past performance is any indicator, I'll prolly find myself on that bandwagon much sooner than I now expect will be the case.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 11:13 pm
Well, digital tv will be the only form of tv here shortly (which means that no analogue tv will be broadcasted terrestically anymore).

Same will happen with radio as well - just by 'natural selection' (I know anyone, who really listens to AM here, although some stations still broadcast on this wave).
However, until now, at least in the car you still need both frequencies.
0 Replies