Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 11:31 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,618 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:12 am
You're right about Simon and Garfunkel adapting that for a song, Letty. Thanks for resurrecting Richard Cory!

I actually studied Robinson in a college lit class. Many moons ago, as you might imagine. I really doubt he's being taught now...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:23 am
D'art, Not being taught? Shocked Gorsh. Maybe that's why Phoenix and I couldn't find the short story "How Beautiful are thy Feet Wearing Shoes."
Shakespeare is still being taught, is he not? Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:52 am
Who knows--I've been out of school for a while. I would imagine Shakespeare is taught, but perhaps not as widely as he was. From what I understand, the idea of what's in the canon--the books every literate person should have read--has stretched considerably. Not to mention, questioned as to whether it should even exist.

In other words, pretty much anything goes these days...
0 Replies

dot

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 05:52 pm
Richard Cory
what is the literal meaning of this poem?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 05:58 pm
Hi, dot. Welcome to A2K. As I see it, Richard Cory is simply the glittering icon of all we might wish that we were, only to discover that regardless of the trappings...there are bete noirs in the most opulent of men...and in the poorest of men, also.
0 Replies

dot

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 06:19 pm
Richard Cory
Thanks, I have to do a five paragraph essay, and I have littlle to work with . I also have: The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost. and a few others
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 06:24 pm
Well, dot com Smile You've come to the right place...eager to help. Just ask. do you want a line by line interpretation? Best that we lead you rather than do it for you. Having been a teacher, I find that the intuition is there, just needs some guidance. That work for you?
0 Replies

dot

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 06:26 pm
your the teacher, you probably know best, thanks,
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 12:03 am
Dot- To me, the meaning of the poem is that you don't know what is going on in the mind of a person simply from outward appearances.
0 Replies

dot

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 12:08 pm
Richard Cory
I get that feeling but I wonder if because everybody stopped and noticed him, did that make him feel like an outsider? or that he didn't belong. After all he was he and everyone else was a we. Question
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 12:16 pm
Wow, Dot. Great observation. That's what is marvelous about really good poetry. It never becomes passe.

As to Frost's "Road not Taken", the most powerful line is the last one, ".....and that has made all the difference."
0 Replies

dot

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 12:34 pm
Richard Cory
I have just been introduced to poetry, I am studying the framework and technical tools. I sometimes will look into it way too much that I overlook its meaning.

I have to read "Road not Taking" a few more times. I think I get the meaning but I want to look further.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 08:31 pm
One thing to consider about poetry is that there may be more than one "right" meaning. Same is true for all good literature. This doesn't mean not to seek meaning, but don't try too hard. Language in poetry is also important, rhythm, too...

Good luck, dot--I think you're doing a great job thus far!
0 Replies

dot

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 08:37 pm
Richard Cory
THANKS! :wink:
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 08:53 pm
Re: Richard Cory
dot wrote:
I have just been introduced to poetry, I am studying the framework and technical tools. I sometimes will look into it way too much that I overlook its meaning.

It's good to be able to pick something apart and analyze the details. You can understand how all the various pieces fit together, and see patterns in how things work.

But for my soul, ... I take in the whole poem, the whole image that it creates in my mind. I feel bad for Richard Corey, because I know many people who live based on their public image, rather than their own feelings and reality.

Richard certainly had all the glitz and the prizes of success that we're "supposed to" strive for. But I feel sad because he seems cut off from other people, and maybe even cut off from himself.

Poor people know they are poor. They see it. They understand it. It makes sense. But sometimes when someone acheives all the goals that society says they're "supposed to" want, they are still unhappy inside. Just because they are not living their own life.

The difference between how someone feels and how they look to the outside world, can make people extremely lonely. Surrounded by treasures, but cut-off from everything and everyone real. If they can't explain it clearly, then the contradiction can drive them crazy!

Rich or poor, I'd rather be honest about how I feel every day,
and let people know how I really am.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:56 am
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/aboutKodak/kodakHistory/eastman.shtml

CodeBorg and all, Follow the link to find an exception to the rule of our discussion here.

Amazing man, George Eastman.
0 Replies

dot

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 02:11 pm
Richard Cory
In the small time that I've spent with poetry I think it is another way people try to link themselves with others. Is that not what people are always trying to do? We educate ourselves to link with others, we work to have what others have. We give to people to make sure they have what others have. I think we are constantly striving to be like others. It makes us feel normal
0 Replies

Jara

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 05:52 pm
Still being taught in my school
I love Edwin Arlington Robinson--I teach him every year in my American lit class--I teach high school in Alabama, and Robinson is one of my all-time favorites! "Richard Cory" is one that most of my students like because they can relate to it. All of them have known someone who seemed to have it all, but didn't find happiness.

I agree with the several posts that say there is no one "right" way to interpret poetry. My good internet friend Michael Cafferty once said, "Poetry is interactive," so each time a new person reads a work, he or she puts his or her own experience or mood into its interpretations. It is astounding the profundity that can be found in a simple verse.

Good luck with your paper.

Becki (AKA Jara)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 07:56 am
0 Replies