Anyone from Finland...?

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:12 pm
I work as an ESL teacher and will have a new student from Finland. I am looking for common words, phrases and their meanings. CAn anyone here help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 839 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 05:56 am
Most scandinavian people have enough englis to get by on and it depends on which part of finland as to what language they use. Swedish in some parts. I cant help a lot but have left a message on another forum where there is someone who may be able to assist.
0 Replies

Kitt6220

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 07:35 pm
oook so i replied to this where dadpad was talking about, however since he offered a link and i have time i thought i'd sign up and do the same thing here... basically...

Finns are fluent in english from about the age of 16 on... they start the language at 10 and by the time they are 16 the entire class is taught in english (except grammar...) So this really depends on the age of your student. A lot of Finns are shy which will make their english seem worse than it really is. The things i think you should know prior to your students arrvial in case of a younger student are:

Mina olen (me nah oh len) I am [insert name]
Haluan (hah lew on) I want
Vesi (veh see) water
Ruoka (rew oh kah) food
Karkkia (car key ah) candy... Very Happy
Hauska tavata (how skah tah vah tah) nice to meet you
Minulla on koti ikava (me new lla own coatee ee keh veh) I am homesick.
nukkuman (new kew maahn) sleep
bussi (boo see) bus
auto (ow toe) car
sauna (sow nah) sauna
Olen (oh len) i am
olet (oh let) you are
iloinen (ill oy nen) happy, glad
salmiakki (sal me ak key) salt licorice...
paha (pah hah) bad
tosi (toe see) very much
hyva (hew vah) good
pidan (pee dahn) i like
ja (ya) and
ei (eh) no
en (en) personal no for "i am not"
kylla (kew lla) yes
joo (yoo) yea
Suomi (sue owe me) Finland
-ssa (ssa) suffixe that means in
-lta (lta) suffixe meaning of or about
nyt (newt) now
etta ((s ) et ta) that
minun (me noon) mine
ole (oh lay) it is or s/he is
kanadalainen (kah nah duh lie nen) canadian
moikka (moy kah) goodbye
Rakkaus (rah kows) love

ok now i will write a short thing using these words to show how they sort of fit together...

Mina olen Kittrick. Hauska tavata. Pidan salmiakkia ja sauna. Sauna on tosi hyvaa. Minulla on tosi koti-ikava Suomelta. En Suomessa nyt. Bussit ja auton Suomessa on hyvaa. Joo. Olen iloinen nyt etta minun Suomea ei ole paha. Haluan nukkumaan, karkkia, vesi, ja ruoka. Olet kanadalainen. moikka

rakkaus Kitt

I am Kittrick. Nice to meet you. I like salt licorice and sauna. Sauna is very good. I am very homesick for finland. I am not in Finland now. The buses and cars in Finland are good. yea. i am glad that my finnish is nto bad now. I want to go to bed, have candy, water and food. You are a canadian. bye Very Happy

with love Kitt

ps. i was in finland 04 05 as an exchange student so i am pretty sure about the finnish.. there are some missing umlauts but if you pronounce them the way i have given it shouldnt matter if you are not writing them... if you want more help you can email me at [email protected]
0 Replies

Hefaity

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:41 am
Hello ..
0 Replies

Hefaity

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:43 am
olivia .. I am not from England.. but I can help you ..........................
0 Replies

Hefaity

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:47 am
HIIIIIII
0 Replies