Guys we are losing our Y .....

vinsan

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 04:01 am
Hey Guys,

I heard somewhere that Y chromosome in Male genes is disintegrating slowly. One day will come when it will extinct and we be having 2 species as Women (XX) and Half-Women(X) Shocked

It is true? It is seen that it had already happened with some salamanders species where there are no Male counterparts and female produce asexually ... more like a clone of itself.

But how can this happen between 2 parents... one who would have X and other having XX will always make an XX offspring so the next generation will always be a female and there won't be any half females left too in next generation.

I find it extremely impossible to happen. Scientists have varied quotes on this. What you guys believe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 701 • Replies: 7
No top replies

spendius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:33 am
It sounds like I'll be able to shag myself which must be a good thing surely on account of all the money and trouble I'll save.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:59 am
Nah, almost all of the material found in the Y chromosome is also found in the X chromosome. All the Y chromosome needs to do is trigger some process that leads to your becomming a male, or possibly not trigger some process (which would be triggered by two X chromosomes) that would make you a female. The "genetic blueprint" for both male and female is found outside the Y chromosome.

Mating wouldn't be affected:

. . . . (XX) (XY)

(XX) (XY) (XX) (XY)

. . . . (XX) (X -)

(XX) (X -) (XX) (X -)
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 08:35 pm
This is a myth which has been debunked. I suggest browsing snopes, as they might have the scientific counter-proof.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 08:42 pm
Anyway, that would be parthenogenesis, not cloning.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 02:42 am
I have my objections to this....

Quote:
1. they might have the scientific counter-proof.

But all those counterproofs talk about is "for last 6 million years the Y chromosome has not disintegrated so it has assumed to reach its minimum size and has lost power of further disintegration " But what about before 6 million years back where it HAD disintegrated!

Also there no reason to NOT to assume that Y will not disappear. It had happened with oldest living fossils most of them reptiles and amphibians like frogs, salamanders and some lizards species who had lost Y.

So that ONE DAY i wrote about will not be in near future but certainly in distant future though .....

Quote:
2. Mating wouldn't be affected:

. . . . (XX) (XY)

(XX) (XY) (XX) (XY)

. . . . (XX) (X -)

(XX) (X -) (XX) (X -)

Agree there! I misunderstood.

Quote:
3. parthenogenesis, not cloning

Vaguely they are same. Parthenogenesis is seen as a possible legal way to clone primates including humans.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 06:47 pm
Have they proven that it was disintegrating 6 million years ago?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:44 am
Dunno
Quote:
Have they proven that it was disintegrating 6 million years ago?

Dunno but they say it that way....

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,68707,00.html

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/050901_ap_y_chromosome.html
0 Replies