The best horror book you ever read?

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:40 pm
kickycan wrote:
Oh wait, I see now that you are responding to someone else's post, by accident. You're talking about the Tower books by King.

Okay, I'm up to speed now. Carry on.

Oh jeez, I thought you were talking about the gunslinger in your first sentence, and then changed the subject to Dracula.

You know, I never read Dracula, I heard it is some serious stuff.

There is this book about vampires that was really erie, I'll have to look it up...one of those books where there's no blood, no actual violence, but your scared shitless.

Crap, I thought I had it written down, I can't remember book names or authors.

I'll be back.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:10 pm
well damn, i can't find the name, but while looking through the public library catalog, I found this one

Bunnicula - a rabbit-tale of mystery.

sounds scary.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:17 pm
Harvest Home gave me the willies for a couple years...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
well damn, i can't find the name, but while looking through the public library catalog, I found this one

Bunnicula - a rabbit-tale of mystery.

sounds scary.

<giggle>

I read Bunnicula about fifty times as a young kitty. The main characters are a mutt, a dachsund, and a cat named Chester...Good times, good times...It's about a vampire bunny that sneaks out and drains the neighborhood veggies at night.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:07 pm
Speaking of veggies, about fifteen years ago I sometimes used to go see a band called "Crumbs of Insanity" at a small bar in Rochester. They had a song called The Vegetable Dance. The lyrics tell about how, at night, when people are sleeping, the vegetables all come out of the ground and dance around. Whenever they did the song the singer would come down into the crowd and everyone would dance around him, doing the "vegetable dance."

Talk about scary.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:50 pm
I'd definitely agree with all who mentioned Stephen King. I've read most of his works and the one I found truly hard to read at night, but by the same token didn't want to put down, was, The Stand.

Again, as most of Kings books are, it stunk when translated to film. Sad

Gerald's Game was indeed graphic, wasn't it? Another, that I have lost in a few moves and want a copy of again, is Rose Madder.

King has a wonderful way of weaving characters together in so many of his books. He is by far, my favorite horror author.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 01:37 pm
Want something that'll really blow your mind?

Read The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing. Believe it or not, well written horror! And only 180 pages; you can read it in two days.

It is a deeply disturbing novel. A creepy baby with glazed eyes. Dead pets. And then, when he grows up...but I'll maintain the suspense and let you find out for yourself!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 01:50 pm
The scariest piece of horror that I have ever read, is not a book, but a rather short story. It is called, "The Lottery", by Shirley Jackson.

Here is a link to the entire story:

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lotry.html

I don't want to include a "spoiler", but when people have read it, they will be able to see why I found it so scary.
tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 01:54 pm
Lady J wrote:
I'd definitely agree with all who mentioned Stephen King. I've read most of his works and the one I found truly hard to read at night, but by the same token didn't want to put down, was, The Stand.

I couldn't agree more. I've read several copies to shreds.
Lady J wrote:
Again, as most of Kings books are, it stunk when tranlated to film

Most? Do you mean you actually enjoyed one?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:01 pm
I have attempted to read King on numerous occasions. I have never been able to finish one book of his. They bore me to tears.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:08 pm
I admit, they can start out slow. But that's his style. You learn to love it, or you leave it. He won't change it.
He also, as he has said, has been accused of having "diarrhea of the word processor" by his critics. This is another of his "take it or leave it" quirks. It allows him to both develope his characters and drive away some readers. Only one of which, I'm sure, he's actually trying to do.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:16 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:

Most? Do you mean you actually enjoyed one?

You got me there! I have never liked any...I really should have said all. There is no way to capture the deep disturbance under the surface. Thank you for calling me on that!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:43 am
Anyone ever read Oral History by Lee Smith?

Doesn't sound like much from the title, I know, but it is quite scary.

More gothic than horror, it follows a high school girl's family tree back to their days in the ozarks. Imagine back country nineteenth century hillbilly horror, with ghosts and witches in the mountains. I think I'll reread it this summer.

Creepy!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:49 am
Lady J wrote:
You got me there! I have never liked any...I really should have said all. There is no way to capture the deep disturbance under the surface. Thank you for calling me on that!

Yeah, I don't know why they even bother trying to film the books. They either miss so badly it's laughable, or they change the story and say "Based on the novel by Steven King". Either way, the movies are no good.
But I'm off topic. This is about books, not movies. Sorry.
Lady J

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 01:37 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
Lady J wrote:

Yeah, I don't know why they even bother trying to film the books. They either miss so badly it's laughable, or they change the story and say "Based on the novel by Steven King". Either way, the movies are no good.
But I'm off topic. This is about books, not movies. Sorry.

Oh pshaw....ne'er an apology make to me about going off topic. I do it all the time. That's what makes a "thread" into a tapestry after all.
:wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:51 am
I own and have read all of King's books (even the rare ones) and by far, by far the scariest story of his is 1408, in his short story compilation Everything's Eventual.

Creepy as hell, not even thirty pages long. I think about it a lot.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:19 am
I know we have them all too...I just went to look for 1048 in Everything's Eventual and the darn thing's not there.....the wolverine musta loaned it to his book-loving friend Libby.

It's too early to freak out....I know it's somewhere.

which one is 1048?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:20 am
Oh, last night they showed "Desperation"

Did anyone watch it?

TAK!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:58 am
Most of it. I fell asleep before the end. It seemed to be pretty faithful to the book, as far as they can show on network TV. I loved watching the cop wander around randomly saying "Tak!" now again. It wasn't spectacular, but I'm not upset I watched it.
0 Replies

Nightmask

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:33 pm
Desperation is alright, though I prefer Desperado.
0 Replies