MARTIN SELIGMAN-Learned optimism

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:44 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
James--

Tautology for the day: Quest for a Quest.

Do any of your courses interest you? Are you in any student activities?
Would you like to make friends?

My course is actuarial studies w/finance, no Im not interested in it. The only reason why im doing it still is because im nearly finished. Student activities? I am involved but im not interested in the things im involved in, and im also not interested in the people im involved with. The older I become, the more I feel like I have less and less similarities with the people around me. In my uni course I can say clearly that I have NO similarities what so ever with the people in there. They start talking about something, and I dont give a rats ass about what they conversing about about 90% of the time.

The only people I call friends and have something to talk about with are the few people from high school I still stay in contact with, the people I feel like I have a connection with, the people I feel like have some meaning to me.
How can I make new friends if I have the idea that I have no similarities with people anymore? Frankly, most of the people Ive met after high school have very little meaning to me at all. Is it the older you get the harder it is to find similarites with other people or is it just my attitude?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:37 pm
James--

Quote:
Is it the older you get the harder it is to find similarites with other people or is it just my attitude?

Personally, I find it difficult to believe that your social affinities are limited to the people of one track at one school in one town.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:41 pm
Then where do you suggest I go to find people who share similarities with myself?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:03 pm
Alas, James. I am a stranger to you and you are a stranger to yourself.

Right now you have a compelling need to be isolated and solitary and advice from anyone makes no sense to you.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 03:52 am
Whats with all this cynicism?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:57 pm
I will refrain from pontificating upon the eye of the beholder.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:23 am
I cant understand the words coming from your mouth
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:24 am
English is not my first language, and Australian schools dont teach english properly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:04 am
Ah, James. All occasions do conspire against you. You are a helpless pawn of fate.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 08:08 pm
whatever...
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 04:37 am
This book tells you how to change your negative pessimistic thoughts around permanently, which is why its so damn wonderful!
0 Replies