MARTIN SELIGMAN-Learned optimism

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:08 am
This book teaches the frailities and irrational thoughts of human beings. It tells you that success is determined not only by aptitude and determination alone. If you have those two, and lack the most crucial ingredient-OPTIMISM, then you can fail miserably. This book teaches you how to deal with the problems that life throws at you constructively to avoid depression and hopelessness. A best seller book that can change lives, written by a PHD psychologist who is notorious for his work in the field of positive psychology. Everyone should have a look and find out how their internal thoughts are affecting their daily lives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,782 • Replies: 30
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:32 am
Is that the book blurb, or what you think?

You must have read fast if these are your thoughts!

Seligman is well known in the area, and many find his ideas helpful.

Probably well worth a read, if you are asking for opinions.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:37 am
dlowan wrote:
Is that the book blurb, or what you think?

You must have read fast if these are your thoughts!

Seligman is well known in the area, and many find his ideas helpful.

Probably well worth a read, if you are asking for opinions.

I read half the book already, it helps when I read it, I begin to understand maybe some of the pain Ive suffered in my life is due to my own exaggerations and catastrophisation and pessimistic thinking. After putting down books like this, I start reverting back to my old ways of thinking. It doesnt really help in the long run. I read books like this to get a short, instantaneous boost.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:13 am
Well, it isn't an instant fix!!!!

You need loads of practice.

And I think a good therapist.

Anyhoo, I have said my piece about that. I won't be saying anything more about it.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 04:19 am
Theres these community health centres you or someone else mentioned to me, I will find them in the white pages and see somebody about my problems. Duno how long I will have to see them though. Thats what im worried about right now, having to see a shrink for the rest of my life
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:12 pm
James--

Quote:
Thats what im worried about right now, having to see a shrink for the rest of my life

Why are you assuming that you'll make no progress?
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 01:24 am
Because Ive developed a hopeless view of my future
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 03:26 am
Lol! Well then, do something, or give up.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 06:32 am
are you posting these just to become a guru?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 07:11 am
No, I am posting in an attempt to encourage you to decide to think/do something different from what you appear to have been doing so far.

Which was dumb of me, as I had already decided I had said as much as I wanted to, a policy to which I shall gkladly revert.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 06:07 am
How am I thinking/doing so far? I dont know how to change
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 02:23 pm
Start with your breakfast menu. What do you eat at present and what would you enjoy eating.

I'm very partial to cold pizza for breakfast.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 02:20 am
would you care to decipher that for me in laymans terms
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:01 pm
James wrote:

Quote:
I dont know how to change

No one can switch from persistent pessimism to optimism overnight.

Start with small changes. What do you eat for breakfast now? Do you enjoy it? What would you enjoy more?

For the next week, create and serve yourself a delightful breakfast--delightful for your tastes.

I think cold pizza is delicious, but feel free to skip cold pizza in your personally-designed menu.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 05:34 pm
Noddy, I think that's an excellent idea!

You may find that out of habit; you are doing many things you don't even like! If you could have anything for breakfast; what would it be? Go ahead and get it for yourself!

I would strongly suggest carving some time into EVERY day; even if it is only for 10 minutes to start with, where you do something YOU enjoy. What you enjoy may be anything: So long as it is what you like, that's the ticket.

I have definetely had to LEARN optimism. I was a serious gloom-and-doom character for a long while. Don't expect big changes over night; just steadily plod away.......and don't forget to laugh WHENEVER YOU CAN. Smile When we're stuck in negativity; we tend to take things a wee bit too seriously.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:04 am
10 minutes a day huh? doing something I enjoy doing huh? thats a good idea, what should i do to change my thoughts after this? After all I estimate that the bulk of my pessimistic habits started after about 16, when I fell under the pressure of the final exams year after year. Things should go smoother after I get out of uni where there are no more exams.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:07 am
flushd wrote:
Noddy, I think that's an excellent idea!

You may find that out of habit; you are doing many things you don't even like! If you could have anything for breakfast; what would it be? Go ahead and get it for yourself!

I would strongly suggest carving some time into EVERY day; even if it is only for 10 minutes to start with, where you do something YOU enjoy. What you enjoy may be anything: So long as it is what you like, that's the ticket.

When you pointed this out, I do realise that I am doing these activities that I dont like and dont spend enough time on those things that give me satisfaction, and also that I am spending time at uni with a bunch of people who give me no gratification at all, maybe its time I start to find people I really like and can accept on campus and in life in general.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 02:46 pm
James--

You're getting the idea.

Don't be passive--explore. Life, particularly in your college days, should be a time of adventure and discovery.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 05:51 am
I dont see what there is to explore during these days. I feel like I have no direction in my life.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 03:56 pm
James--

Tautology for the day: Quest for a Quest.

Do any of your courses interest you? Are you in any student activities?
Would you like to make friends?
0 Replies