clubrcr

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:17 pm
Thank you, this is big decision. The vet is trustworthy, although I don't think they want to give us odds. Our dog also has large bladder stones which could move into his urinary track at any time, he has had one operation for that in past and the vet is telling us that our dog couldn't survive another surgery. That is all they have really said. They don't see the pain the dog is in and the violent shaking he has from time to time.

I just hate to see him in this condition and feel I need to help him find his way to heaven. I do appreciate your kind words.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:20 pm
clubrcr,
You know when it's right. Even if you can't admit it out loud, you know inside when you should do it. When we were thinking about putting the family pet down, we weighed the pros and cons. He wasn't sick all the time. Just some really bad days. And we thought it would be like putting grandma down because she wasn't always healthy! Sometimes though, the animal is just so sick that every moment is bad. They can't walk anymore, they don't eat and are slowly wasting away into nothing. They are very obviously in pain and these are the times when you are able to gift them with the gift of peace. Is it a 50/50 split with good and bad days? Or a 80/20, with 80 being the bad? Just sit down and think about this very difficult decision. You can't go back and re-make it. But you can think about it though your pets eyes. Would you want to be alive and in that condition or would you want someone to allow you a passage out of the pain? This is very hard and no one wants to think about it or go through it but we must. I wish you the best .
0 Replies

clubrcr

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:37 pm
You are correct. He has given us years of memories that will always be with us, even if he is not.

I used that same grandmother analogy with my wife.

He will be missed.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:44 pm
Whatever decision you make, it will be the decision that was right at that time. You can only make a decision based on what you know, not what might be. You sound like a loving, wonderful pet-parent and I don't think that you will make the wrong decision here.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:01 pm
I agree with Bella Dea. You obviously love your pet very much. You will do the right thing.
0 Replies

clubrcr

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:14 pm
Thank you both. As you know, it is a hard decision. I think God has a plan for all of us and helps us heal. I also think he gives us mountains to climb. We just don't know we can do it until it's in the past.

God bless.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:01 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Thank you.

Okay, where do you stand on anesthesia for toms when you neuter them?

What do you mean? Are you referring to whether to use it, or what type? I know ranchers who neuter toms the same way they do their calves, and although I don't like it, it can be done. I always used a ketamine/acepromazine combination, if that's what you mean. As far as anesthesia is concerned, I'm for it, if that was the question.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:06 am
I'm sorry, CowDoc, I guess I wasn't very clear on that. Yes, whether you use it or not. I am so glad to hear you do. I won't get my toms done by a vet that won't anesthestize them. I've seen neutering performed. I sure would want something!
0 Replies

joyness

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:45 pm
@CowDoc,
My brother got an oral medication from his vet when it was time to put down his doberman. Everyone says its a bad idea, but for him, it was peaceful and eased a heartbreaking situation, plus prevented further pain in transporting him. What could it have been, and is it ever a reasonable option, in your opinion?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 02:01 pm
When it was time with our old dog Max, I called a mobile veterinarian who
came to the house. There was no stressful situation for the dog, he got a tranquilizer first and then peacefully fell asleep in my arms. It gave me a lot
of peace too, and I definitely would choose for a veterinarian to come to the house.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 01:25 pm
@joyness,
More than likely, that was acepromazine or another tranquilizer. While they are far from lethal, they do make induction of anesthesia smoother and quicker. I don't understand why "Everyone says it's a bad idea" because I routinely used such drugs for pre-surgical sedation, and most euthanasia solutions are merely an anesthetic overdose. Sounds perfectly acceptable to me.
0 Replies