Media conundrum re hurricanes and other things

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:15 pm
I just saw a link on Wilma and the Yucatan peninsula on - I think - CNN.com - about the thousands of tourists stranded...

and I lost the link, sorry, these things move along. I know this is a good story, but there seems to be a dominance of interest re what happens to any tourist re what happens to any Mexican of nontourist lifestyle.

I also know this is complicated in that tourism is economically important to the region, for better or worse.

I bring this up since the emphasis seems weird to me.

It might be that somehow all mexicans are safe or safer. Somehow I doubt this.

I suppose that media report re what seems to be the interest of the listeners or viewers. And the listeners and viewers are interested, to some extent, given x amount of attention to give, to what the media present.

But gee, this is all a few miles away. The division of interest in how people are faring confuses me. I'd say it takes a hurricane to make me wake up to it, but that's not exactly true. It sure does illuminate the media reportage distinctions.

Comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,740 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:26 am
"I suppose that media report re what seems to be the interest of the listeners or viewers. And the listeners and viewers are interested, to some extent, given x amount of attention to give, to what the media present. "

That's the key, Osso -- the media report on what its target audience is interested in. And, sadly, most of that audience doesn't give a tinker's damn about the local populace. What they want to know is, are American tourists safe. Is Aunt Hetty, who just flew down to Cozumel to celebrate her successful gall bladder operation, okay?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:17 am
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:24 am
Osso -- I linked to one news source that spoke of 50 Mexican construction workers who were holed up in a place until the storm passed by. The report said there was not enough room for them to lie down and they were surviving on donated canned tunafish which they were eating with their hands. Sad

Sad stuff going on all over the world. There is such a disconnect with us (not just in the USA) who wring our hands... then get into our cars and drive to the store because we've only got two bottles of red wine and the XX's are coming over.

I don't know what we do about it though.
0 Replies