Tim Hardin or Bobby Darin - If I Were a Carpenter
the Mamas & Papas
It's a Beautiful Day - White Bird
Lovin' Spoonful - Darling Be Home Soon
Tom Paxton - The Last Thing on My Mind
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:37 pm
Stewart made The Kingston Trio a more powerful group.
Phil Ochs was a favorite of mine.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:43 pm
Nobody's mentioned Peter, Paul and Mary yet.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:47 pm
Richard and Mimi Farina -- she was Joan Baez's big sister... he died way too young.

John Fahey -- sad alcoholic near ending to his career

Leo Kottke -- who described his voice as "goose farts" on an autumn day"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 09:16 pm
Piffka wrote:
Richard and Mimi Farina -- she was Joan Baez's big sister... he died way too young.

When I heard "Dandelion River Run " I had to run out and buy a dulcimer
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:38 pm
An aptly named musical instrument for sure.

I was always very fond of "No use crying, talking to a stranger...."
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:16 am
Ian & Silvia -- Four Strong Winds
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:07 pm
Goodness yes what a great Canadian Folk duo.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:12 pm
Sylvia Tyson, OMG. I still have lust in my heart.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:45 am
Beat it buddy!! I was in line first.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 07:28 am
forget it, i'm here in canada, i've got the edge
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:33 am
I was going through my records and...voila I found THE guy that bridged folk and rock-Tom Rush. Man that cat could play and sing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 06:59 am
panzade wrote:
I was going through my records and...voila I found THE guy that bridged folk and rock-Tom Rush. Man that cat could play and sing.

YES
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:00 am
not quite folk, but what about the byrds sweethearts of the rodeo, and gram parsons solo work
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:57 pm
I'm not sure if one of you suggested this or not but The Highwaymen are absolutely amazing. Musically they are kinda corny and simple, but lyrically...MY GOD, it literally makes my skin tingle and nipples grow.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:00 pm
I think McGuinn and Crosby had gone in two seperate directions. Parsons had wowed McGuinn with the neo-country stuff and Crosby helped Stills and Nash develop an electric folkie sound.

Jackson Browne's first album(w Crosby singing superb harmony) Saturate Before Using is another bridge from folk to rock.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:24 pm
Flying Burrito Brothers.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 03:00 pm
We thought the Highwaymen were pretty fruity but it seems they were more important.I commend you on your walk through the Folk forest...here's some outline

New York became the stage for a movement of "folk revival" that spawned hits such as the Kingston Trio's Tom Dooley (1958), Jimmy Driftwood's Battle Of New Orleans (1958), and Jimmy Driftwood's Battle of New Orleans (1958) and Soldier's Joy (1958), all of them reconstructed from traditional melodies. Ethno-musicologists such as the New Lost City Ramblers assembled "lost" songs on albums such as The New Lost City Ramblers (1958), Vol II (1959) and Songs from the Depression (1960). The Limeliters assembled a multinational repertory on soothing collections such as The Slightly Fabulous (1961). The "Newport Folk Festival" (1959) created a vast audience for this music, an audience that increasingly came to be identified with the political Left and the young beatniks of the Greenwich Village.

These folksingers had little in common (stylistically or ideologically) with the hillbillies of country music, but they ended up creating the urban audience for country music. Country music, even in states that were rapidly urbanizing such as Texas, had been catering mainly to the countryside. The post-war generation of folksingers catered almost exclusively to the audience of the big cities. It wasn't long before country music learned that lesson.

some good lists

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/2G0STCTGXRHN6/ref=cm_lm_dp_l_1/103-9398373-3714204

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/1XEE30OUGMTV1/ref=cm_lm_dp_l_2/103-9398373-3714204

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/1IT12PAYLWO9J/ref=cm_lm_dp_l_3/103-9398373-3714204
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 03:01 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Flying Burrito Brothers.

Another fledgling from the Byrds "nest"...Chris Hillman
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 03:49 pm
If you liked the music then, it's still going now, still growing, still developing, still nurturing great singers and songwriters.

If you're near Boston, or you visit, Club Passim in Harvard Square is still going strong, in its 47th year. It was where Joan Baez and Tom Rush got their start, in its earlier incarnation as Club 47. If you wanna get an idea of what's happening in folk and acoustic music, try the website www.clubpassim.org --they stream live, but bandwidth is limited, so get there early. And click on the websites of performers from the schedule and you'll get mp3s or wma's of their music, a lot of which is great.

So lemme see, good people from the last twenty years or so of folk/acoustic (god, there are more than I can think of offhand), maybe start with

Tracy Chapman, Shawn Colvin, Bill Staines, Greg Brown, Nanci Griffith, Richard Thompson, Kate Rusby, Eric Bogle, Silly Wizard, Altan, DeDannann, Allison Krauss and Union Station.

Newer hot ones: Antje Duvekot, Lori McKenna (just on Oprah--yay, we're cracking the mainstream), Richard Shindell, Dar Williams, Ellis Paul, Mark Erelli, Jake Armerding, Crooked Still.
0 Replies