a flagrant offender!

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:01 am
LOVELAND, Ohio (AP) - A woman who hasn't paid a $1.16 income tax bill to this Cincinnati suburb faces a stiff penalty - up to 18 months in jail and $4,000 in fines.

City officials say Deborah Combs hasn't filed city income tax returns for five years. Combs says she has been mostly unemployed since 2000 and didn't realize she had to file the returns until the city notified her in February about the violation.

By that time, Combs owed $200 in late fees - $50 for each year she didn't file a return.

"I don't know how they could charge me the fees if I didn't owe anything," Combs said.

Loveland officials say everyone is required to file an annual return, regardless of income level.

"This is a flagrant offender," said City Manager Frederick Enderle. "She's been given ample opportunity and ample warning to file those returns and she chose to ignore them."

Combs agreed to a tax liability for $1.16 for 2003, but she hasn't been able to pay the late fees, she said. She was charged with four first-degree misdemeanors and has an Oct. 20 hearing in Loveland Mayor's Court.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,282 • Replies: 22
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:04 am
Kind of makes you want to change your religion, doesn't it. One with lots of good swear words.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
Hmmm, charging late fees is a real good little money-maker, isn't it? Rolling Eyes Mad
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 09:43 am
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

http://www.2000greetings.com/gybullet1.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:11 pm
On top of the obvious absurdity, I've never heard of a city having an income tax...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:18 pm
That B*TCH!!!

Who does she think she is....thinking she could get away with this sort of thing forever?

Serves her right is what I say.

<harumph>
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:15 pm
Okay, Chai, now about that overdue library book. . . .
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:23 pm
Well, Ohio has got to pay for its voting sins somehow.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:23 pm
oh, um, er.....how did you know about that?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:24 pm
Just fishin' around.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:26 pm
Someone called??
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:04 pm
ossobuco wrote:
On top of the obvious absurdity, I've never heard of a city having an income tax...

Yeah, I wondered about that. How the heck does that work?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:22 pm
I suspect is really the usual business license tax that is the problem, but can't tell for sure.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:26 pm
Lots of cities have income taxes. New York City has had one for.. well.. forever. (Ok, probbaly not forever but as long as I can remember.) Akron, Cincinnati, Detriot and Birmingham have them too.

If you do a Google search on "City Income Tax" you'll get hits for pretty much every city in OH and MI.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:44 pm
Yucko...

Ok, I say that easily, but I know cities need to have dollars to survive. That is another whole ball of wax...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 09:07 pm
I may be wrong, but I believe Kansas City has an income tax.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 09:09 pm
Yep, last year was our first brush with it. Income taxes for the city where E.G. works AND ('cause they're different) the city where we live. Sucks!

They're tiny (2.5%? Something like that) but extremely annoying.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 09:12 pm
Yep, we had it where we moved from. Same thing, income taxes from where we lived and where we worked because they were different. The annoyance is having to fill out yet another form at income tax time. That's one system in need of some serious automation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 09:42 pm
And, when I left Denver in '81, they had a head tax for anyone employed in town, but not so blessed as to live in the city.

Just more job security for the bookkeeper. heh heh.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:31 am
fishin' wrote:
Lots of cities have income taxes. New York City has had one for.. well.. forever. (Ok, probbaly not forever but as long as I can remember.) Akron, Cincinnati, Detriot and Birmingham have them too.

Can't they survive on just property taxes like everybody else?
0 Replies