My kitten has the craps........BIG time........HELP

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:49 pm
Hello everyone who has taken the time to read this. My kitten has had the craps now for at least 3-4 days. I'm pretty sure it's not the food she's eating, as she's been eating it since she started eating cat food. It's hard to keep her in the house as she doesn't always make it to the litter box, which is nasty, but not her fault. It's getting to cold here to put her outside. Does anyone know of anything I can give her to stop this stinky problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,063 • Replies: 10
No top replies

flushd

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:51 pm
Does she like peanut butter?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:57 pm
I'm not sure......
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:58 pm
You better call the vet and make sure that she doesn't have any intestinal problems. I know dogs get dewormed, I can't remember if I had to do that for the cats. But check it out, the vet can give you some down to earth advice about how to resolve this problem. And do it as quick as you can, before the cat dehydrates. Your local SPCA can help.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:55 am
No tinned cat food, no greasy meat and DEFINITELY no milk.

Give your cat cooked chicken breast, white fish or nothing at all for a while, and make plenty of drinking water available.

In the meantime, I would definitely get the vet involved, as he/she may have eaten something on his/her travels, that has caused a reaction.

The vet will know what to look for......
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:28 am
Is she drinking plenty of water? (Definitely no milk!) She could be getting dehydrated after days of this. You don't say how old she is, whether she's had her vaccinations, etc., so it's had to know what could be causing the problem. If she's been eating the same food that she'd already been eating for a while with no problem then perhaps it could be some bug or infection. Best thing is to get her to a vet without any further delay. It's not right to leave her undiagnosed & untreated any longer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:33 am
gotta second the No Milk suggestion.
In fact, that was the whole reason I opened this thread ... in hopes that you were not giving the kitten milk.
Contrary to popular belief, cats are lactose intolerant.
They can drink goats milk and not have the problem.. but average cows milk they cant handle.

If you have it, try giving your kitten a light LIGHT infusion of some chamomile. Maybe 1 spoon of herb to 2-3 cups of water.
Use a spoon from the table and not a measured one.
Put the herb in the water on med-low heat for about an hour . Add that mixture to her water.
Then.. call a vet.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:55 am
Ask the vet. Our dog had similar issues, we fed him (as a topping for his regular food) Hills Canine RD prescription, which is for such intestinal, er, issues. And it worked, and the dog LOVED it!

I'm sure something similar is made for cats.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:02 pm
Thanks everyone!

Mom was feeding her milk for awhile......she stopped when the kitty started getting the runs. I've been keeping an eye on her, and she has been drinking lots of water. I haven't seen any diarrhea anywhere today, or last night. She a little over 3 months old, and is mainly an inside farm cat. She is actually Pigsy's grand daughter, for those of you who remember Pigsy. Perhaps it was the milk, and it just took awhile to get her system cleaned out from it all.

Our last family cat lived to be 18, and she got milk every day basically her whole life. She waited and meowed by the fridge every morning. Not trying to say milk is good for animals, just wanted to share the story.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:04 pm
there are some cats who can take milk. Even in large amounts. But for the most part , most cats get all poopy and squirty, some dont eat and yet others have horrible reactions to it.

It could very well have been the milk.
She may take a day or two to get it out of her system
If it pops up again, call a vet, but if stopping the milk seems to have helped.. then stay with that.
;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:26 pm
If she continues to drink lots of water, there could be a problem. That's how I found out my cat has diabetes. But, that's not likely your cat's problem (she's too young).
0 Replies