Weird!!!

RK4

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 01:37 pm
By placing the vertices at the points (1, 1^2, 1^3), (2, 2^2, 2^3),
(3, 3^2, 3^3), . . . , prove that any simple graph can be drawn without crossings in the Euclidean three-dimensional space so that each edge is represented by a straight line.

What is this all about???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 665 • Replies: 8
No top replies

RK4

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 02:20 pm
Still stuck on this. Anyone???
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 01:53 am
The maximal dimension of the figure that three points span is 2, i.e., three points can span at most a plane.
0 Replies

RK4

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:18 pm
satt_fs wrote:
The maximal dimension of the figure that three points span is 2, i.e., three points can span at most a plane.

Yes, but there are infinitely many points here, all of the form
(k, k^2, k^3). Doesn't stop with just three of them. Besides, I don't see the connection between what you said and what the problem asks... how do we prove the result for simple graphs? Thanks!
0 Replies

RK4

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:19 pm
satt_fs wrote:

(k, k^2, k^3). Doesn't stop with just three of them. Besides, I don't see the connection between what you said and what the problem asks... how do we prove the result for simple graphs? Thanks!
0 Replies

RK4

satt_fs wrote:

0 Replies

RK4

satt_fs wrote:

0 Replies

RK4

satt_fs wrote:

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:43 am
I know very little about graph theory but I would imagine you might need to prove that all vectors connecting points of the form ( k, k^2, k^3 )are "linearly independent", for otherwise would they not cross or coincide ?
0 Replies