What is going on inside your head?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:11 am
Speaking of the subject of thought, I am reminded of a story concerning William Golding and Albert Einstein. I've told the story here before, but since it is applicable to the subject at hand I will tell it once more. For those of you who have heard it please stop reading when you reach the point of familiarity...

There are three types of thinkers with the majority falling in the "C" category. The deeper thinkers fall into the "B" category and the true geniuses frequent the "A" category. William Golding was in the "A" category and let everyone know it. Quite pompous and arrogant, he was, and he considered the lesser thinkers to be mere annoying chancroids of the thought world. (I used the word "chancroid" only to see if Lord Ellpus had to scramble for his dictionary)

Anyway, Golding was a guest speaker at a campus one time (I believe it was Yale, but possible Harvard) and since he had some spare time on his hands he decided to walk around the campus. During his walk he had to cross a small bridge which spanned a fish pond. Golding was shocked to see Albert Einstein on the high part of the bridge peering over the edge into the water.

"Golding (who was telling this story and I am repeating it from memory as best I can) said when he saw Einstein he was ecstatic because it was on very rare occasions that he could actually engage in conversation with a fellow "A" thinker. As he approached Einstein he thought of the deep conversation which he was about to embark on. Sidling up to Einstein he cleared his throat to make his presence known.

Einstein looked up, then pointed at the water and in his thick accent, said, "Fish"

I thought it was kind of funny.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:22 am
Whats going on inside my head?? Wind, lots of wind....tumbleweed blowing around.... it is kinda like outerspace.... looks empty but it is full of stuff... just don't know what it all is...

Actually my mind is filled with useless information and random thoughts....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:27 am
Do you have any thoughts in your head, Crazielady, regarding the plight of the russian bullfrog?

Obviously I do or I wouldn't have thought of it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:29 am
Gus.......HA!.... I am an EXPERT on chancroids.

I believe that I first found out about them three months after visiting the "Love you long" bar, Shanghai 1934.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:30 am
No, no bullfrog... just the monkeys without the tails and the zebras that have polka dots... great sex.. I mean.. holy hell... what just flew by me.. is that a mexican jumping bean... it is.... EVERYONE DOWN.... runnnnn
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:31 am
That was you?!!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:36 am
This is our dirty little secret, Lord. Everyone is entitled to some unusual carnal experimentation at some point in his life.

And we were there long before Mick Jagger and David Bowie.

(I'm just glad I wasn't on the receiving end. I can still hear your screams.)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:40 am
Yes, I must admit that I did make a bit of noise, despite the ball gag.

You made a man of me, Gus.

I thank you.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:40 am
fish

root beer

what do i want to be when i grow up

nail polish is chipped, i hate that

muslim women

need to dust lamp

develop new logo

world hunger

david sedaris

i have an itch

and so on.....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:44 am
I think the fish was implanted in your mind by my Golding story, Chai Tea.

I thereby accept full responsibility for adding the unneccesary burden of fish to your already crowded brain.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:45 am
Chai Tea wrote:

i have an itch

You weren't in Shanghai, round about '34, were you?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:47 am
I was wondering who was pushing on my back.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:48 am
There is a continuous narrative going on inside my head, but it is subject
to almost constant interruption.

It seems as though there are several parallel threads of thought, only one
of which is primary at any time. Then something in one of the secondary
threads triggers a change in priority and that secondary thread is raised
to primary status. Often the status change is only temporary and then
the original order is restored.

I say "narrative," because I am a very verbal sort of person. The
threads of thought are almost always sentences. Even when
"instrumental" music is running through my mind, I tend to assign lyrics to it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:49 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
A most excellent answer by dlowan. That's the sort of information I was seeking. Especially the part about thinking in words. Mine is more visual, yet I've heard people think in words, almost as if they're thinking aloud. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that. Of course, that was dlowan's low gear, as she explained, so that might have some merit.

I was a bit surprised by Lord Ellpus feeling it was necessary to define the Corpus Callosum. I'm sure the majority of A2Ker's are quite familiar with the term and the meaning and may now consider the Lord to be somewhat haughty and perhaps condescending.

Speaking of the Corpus Collosum, it played an integral role in Thomas Disch's masterpiece "The M.D".

Heehee....you have blown my cover.

I had a great way of calling someone a halfwit, which would be too abstruse to draw Mod fire:

"You have no need of a working corpus callosum."

Damn your black heart, Gus!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:10 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I was wondering who was pushing on my back.

I thought you must have had some assistance!

Three inches doesn't normally hurt that bad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:11 am
<it's like freakin' pinball in here>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:23 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

i have an itch

You weren't in Shanghai, round about '34, were you?

I wasn't around at all until '58
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:31 am
Hm.....I think in words and in pictures. More pictures now that I've nearly quit writing. When I was in college and in my writing classes, I thought in words a lot. I imagine it's like languages. If you are in France for a while and speaking French you start to think and dream in French.

Right now, considering my mind is foggy a lot from this stupid Graves, I can't usually collect my thoughts easily. I spend way to much time now on my short term memory as I really have to work at remember ****. I can't wait til THIS goes away.

I've always been a quick thinker which is why I stumble over my words a lot. I do a lot of conversing in my head and soemtimes will just start talking to someone like they've been conversing with me the whole time and they look at me like "What the Hell are you talking about??".

I have always been a little obsessive (not so much compulsive) and find myself counting in my head a lot. One, two, three...as I unload the towels from the washer. Annoying.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:53 am
25% less sugar.

That is what the box says. So why is that a selling point? 25 % LESS?? UUHhh come on people, why dont we shoot for NO sugar huh? What a damn concept! Granulated sugar has been PROVEN to cause so many fricking health problems and here these companies are trying to lure in more sales by only offering LESS sugar? So what... you stay alive just a few years longer to keep buying their products? How can this keep happening,
Why is it that this sells in our society ? Why is sugar so prominent?
Why am I thinking about this? I have a cute little girl curled up in my lap with her bee costume on, watching Mister Rogers. It is sad that he died. I wish i could find an entire collection of his shows . I would only use his programs for Bean to watch on tv. Slow and quiet would be a great thing for her.
I wonder what she will be like when she grows up. Will she have my drive for things? Will she have her fathers IQ? Or will she be a mix of ours? Am I doing everything ok for her? I have never known nor understood how much I could love someone until she was born. Now I know what it means when someone says they will die for someone else. Yeah, that someone else is my daughter. I want the world to be kind to her. I want the world to be interesting to her, and most of all I want it to be a challenge, one she will always enjoy..

> thats my train of tought for this second... besides, my butt itches <
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:31 am
A friend and I were talking...

I mentioned how I'd changed perspective since September 2001. Half of my mind remains filled with dread, pain, worry and empathy for the rest of the world.

She called it the paradigm shift and said she had one, too. One half of my brain is caught up in the pain of the world while the other half imagines what simple mundane pleasures can still be wrung from this strange cruel world and tries desperately to suppress the other half.

At this moment I'm thinking about NYC and that big hole that is still in the ground, New Orleans and how it was built in a hole, the earthquake in Asia and how those people are really in trouble.

But also I am thinking: rain, my damned computer, the cost of an Apple replacement, those plane tickets, whether I should return some clothes that I don't really like, (such a hassle) my meeting this afternoon, (what should I wear?) my mammogram this morning, (scary, as always) my mother who died and the reason I have to have so many mammograms, my sister who tells me she is ill, my daughter who is too busy, my son who is not. Which is better? The dogs, (Have I fed them?) the gym, (I ought to go early today) getting old (ugh), can I walk to the beach before my exam? (But it's raining and the dogs will get wet.) Then when do I take my shower? (heehee, I could sing in the rain... and shower.) Guess it's time to vacuum... where is that receipt? I need it this afternoon. Oh, gotta call the college. When do I get a chance to paint? Shouldn't I be replanting those pansies and that heather right now? In front by the mailbox??? What to do? What to do? Sheesh, it's late. and it is still raining.... What am I going to make for dinner? How did I ever manage when I worked full-time? What's it like to live in a place that is always warm and sunny?.......

If you are wondering, I am seeing these things as images... not words.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 04:57:35