Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:05 am
i used to live on a caribbean island. one day at a person's front yard, i foudn this cute, light purple leaves bush.

so i grow some. somehow, they are all dead now.
Mad

i wonder if anyone knows any similar light purple leaves bush?

thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,806 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:42 am
Got a picture? There are lots of bushes with light purple flowers, might be a bunch with light purple leaves, too.

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:04 am
I.................oh, the topic headline drew me in, but I shall once again leave, disappointed.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:08 am
i don't have any pictures.

when i first got it, it was so easy to grow. when i first put it in the a cup of water, it growed a little, but it needs soil to grow better.

and i just sticked it in the ground, they grow. now i moved to another island, i got 4 braches, two died. the other two i put in one cup. they didn't grow fast enough. so one day , i figured, i will divide them in two cups. now they both died. Sad

it doesn't have any flowers, just plain light purple mixed with a little gray on the leaves. the leave has three fingers (don't know how to describe them properly.)

so is there any web site that sell those particular bushes? maybe i can go check them out.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
Purple Bush....
:wink: Ellpus,don't leave,just because you're having naughty thoughts,and misunderstood the intent of the topic. Now be a good
fella,and sit back down,and join the rest of us in a pleasant chat.
Depending on the size of the plant,it could be anything from a Clematis
to "Four-O'Clocks".

Very Happy lindatw
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:26 am
well,can anyone show me a direct link to some online nursery that sell those type of bushes?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:30 am
did it grow close to the ground and look like this?
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Commelinaceae/Zebrina_pendula.jpg

Was the plant woody-stemmed or fleshy-stemmed? How tall was the plant you saw that you liked? How wide? Did you ever see flowers? If so, what did they look like? And what about fruit?
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:11 am
hello. i am glad that so many people are talking about this subject.

ok, more.

the leaves are not oily looking. they are really light, a little transparent when they are young.

i think that the leaves have the shape of a maple tree leave.

it is randomly mixed with gray and light purple.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:02 pm
i found a smiliar picture!
http://www.kestrel-press.com/cofc/emilysgarden/620/620_34732a60.jpg

it is not exactly a tree, but its leaves look similar, but mixed with gray.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:35 pm
mixed....? how are the grey and purple mixed? spots, splotches, shading, stripes?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:01 pm
Youngman - you mention you first saw this plant growing in the caribbean. That means the plant is tropical and would be found in climate zones 9-10. Without a good picture it is truly impossible to ID the plant, as there are a few hundred purple leaf plants in the tropics. Your best bet is to a find a botanical field guide to the island where you were living and see if you can spot it amongst the pictures. Often these books are sold in hotel gift shops or island book shops. Good luck.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:58 pm
Do the leaves look like this?
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/birchfleetnurseries/Resources/photos-med/L_aureo_marginata.jpg
liquidambar aureomarginata

My guess is it's some sort of gum tree.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:12 am
more like striped.

guess it is not easy to figure it out. too bad, all the left two died. i should have taken some pics.

it used to grow so easily. i was hoping to make them grow faster, so i sepearte the two from one pot into two. Confused
0 Replies