Should symbolism be taken much more seriously, or am I nuts?

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:09 pm
I confess
I'm involved with symbolism. I see symbols everywhere. I see patterns and symbols in everyday life, where ever I look. Often I see long strings of coincidences. Or weird opposites or strange parallels.
I've been this way since I was a kid.

Other people don't seem to make such a big deal out of coincidence and I'm starting to wonder:
a) Am I seeing something they're not? (which sounds a bit delusional)
or
b) Are the magority of people, including scientists, ignoring something terribly important that's right under our noses?

Here's an example.

A mate was acting like an idiot and knocked another mate down a flight of concrete steps going into a club. Bill was banged up a bit and suffered a blow to the mouth which left him with a chipped tooth. He had to go to an emergancy dentist and everyone was slightly pissed at Al for ruining the night.

The following evening, Al tripped over an uneven pavingstone and bang!
Down he went. And guess what? He'd chipped the same tooth.
Everyone said something like, 'Wooo...weird. How strange.'
We talked (and sort of laughed) about it for a few days. Someone mentioned Karma. Then we never spoke of it again.

Now, I see coincidences like that all the time. (Maybe not such dramatic ones, but still as intruiging). I feel that <Don't laugh> 'something is trying to tell us something (in us?/from nature?) and something else is trying to tell us something else (I suspect something mind-blowing) and we poor unevolved humans haven't the foggiest notion of what's really going on.
Except that deep deep down, buried far back in the mazed brain, we DO know - we just can't grasp it.

Am I odd/strange/weird/insane/stupid/?

I know I'm not a well educated man. Maybe someone can explain to me why the phenomena I'm talking of is not looked at more seriously - by scientists.

I sometimes feel that when we (humans) don't know the right path to take, we give ourselves the answers through symbolism.
I was thinking of Piccasso's 'Guernica' - the depiction of brutality in war, and how it's copy was covered over when Powell gave his speech about going to war with Iraq while standing infront of it.

Do we notice coincidences/symbols more when we get older or are they seeming to be getting more regular. Am I the only one asking myself what the F is going on?

Is symbolism only superstition, or is it the clue to something much bigger and more powerful than we can fully understand?
Is what I'm saying irrational? Feel free to speak honestly.
I don't think you can onfuse me any more than I am now.

Endy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,197 • Replies: 46
No top replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:19 pm
What kind of nuts are you talking about? For instance, the Eastern Black Walnut was named the state nut of Missouri...then there are symbols attached to cashews, peanuts, koalas, macadamias, almonds and the like....
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:39 pm
Quote:
I know I'm not a well educated man. Maybe someone can explain to me why the phenomena I'm talking of is not looked at more seriously - by scientists.

Because there are so many things that happen in the world, that it would be statistically impossible for coincidences like this not to happen all the time!

You would love the movie Pi, if you haven't seen it already.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:47 pm
Endy I'm the same way too. And, I believe it can make for some interesting dreams.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 04:28 am
shepaints wrote:
What kind of nuts are you talking about? For instance, the Eastern Black Walnut was named the state nut of Missouri...then there are symbols attached to cashews, peanuts, koalas, macadamias, almonds and the like....

I like Brazil and hazel nuts Laughing
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 04:29 am
stuh505 wrote:

You would love the movie Pi, if you haven't seen it already.

I haven't - but I will!
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 04:32 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Endy I'm the same way too. And, I believe it can make for some interesting dreams.

Yes. I have very vivid dreams.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 06:13 am
Brazil nuts... love
Hazel nuts...Luck, fertlity, anti-lightening, wishes

from
http://www.photovault.com/Link/Food/PlantsHerbsSymbolism.html

No, I don't think you are nuts. Symbolism abounds,
particularly in traditional celebrations....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 06:57 am
I know what you're talking about....I feel everything is connected somehow, and symbols we see are clues to seeing the connection.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:28 am
ENDY-

There are signs,icons,symbols,metaphors etc etc.

Clouds are a sign of rain but it might not rain.Habit has internalised the probability from past experience.

Icons are signs that work by sharing a property we recognise in what is signalled.A picture of a man with a shovel tells us of road works ahead.But if an artist paints a man with a shovel it might symbolise the plight of the working man or it might even symbolise the dignity of work.

Symbols are much more complex.Some people study symbolism all their lives.A symbol in art only truly works when the viewer has the same mental response that the artist intended and this is not only rare but some say impossible.

There's nothing in the chipped tooth beyond accidental coincidence as stuh said.

What does your initial post symbolise.The fact that you offer us those five choices (odd,strange,wierd,insane,stupid) is symbolic,to me,of a mental state and a process which has caused it.

I see a lot of symbolism in things but on a different level seemingly.The sudden appearance of displayed tattoos on ladies' bodies for example.Or the recent growth of a cultivated brutal look some men have adopted.

Best thing though is to take it easy.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:10 pm
I'm exactly the same way!! Yeaa: someone who knows what it's like.
I have been that way since I can remember.
I have very vivid dreams too. I like paying attention to my dreams. Often, important things I need to know will come to me in my dreams. It could be as simple as I am the type of person who finds it easier to 'think' in symbols and dreams.

I have been called all kinds of words (nuts, superstitious, 'living in make-believe'. Pshaww, I say!! Laughing

My dad was great when it came to this aspect of my personality: he got me into art.
My mom thought I was 'impractical' and told me 'stop wasting your time on things that aren't there'.

Cool thread, Endy. Very Happy
BTW: loved the movie Pi.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:15 pm
flushd wrote:

My mom thought I was 'impractical' and told me 'stop wasting your time on things that aren't there'.

Cool thread, Endy. Very Happy
BTW: loved the movie Pi.

Don't you just love how others can tell what is wasting your time and what is not? Rolling Eyes

My family used to tell me Stop wasting your time reading those books!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:18 pm
Laughing
Yeah, got that same line from my mom about books.
She is terminally 'practical'. Which, IMO, isn't very practical at all! :wink:
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
Chasing dreams is the thing that makes like worth living. Sometiems the best thing to have is ignorance.

BTW, I also loved the movie Pi.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 03:15 pm
oooh I love pecans...and walnuts...and filberts and almonds and cashews and the answer is yes and yes.
0 Replies

BrianT

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 03:58 pm
Funny, I just wrote this in Paranormal experiences:
"...During one period in my life, I thought I was seeing signs from God giving me a choice to follow God's path that he laid out for me or my own path. One form these signs came in was newspapers. Certain words would stand out and I could decipher their meaning."
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 05:04 pm
Gee Brian I wish I could do that.
0 Replies

BrianT

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 05:10 pm
What, decipher their meaning? I doubt I did it correctly but then again I doubt a lot. As you probably know, I meant a meaning deeper than the original word (or phrase), not just dis ease from disease but a personal meaning for me. This was beaten and medicated out of me so that I could fit in with society and be normal so I don't experience this much anymore. Sometimes...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:02 pm
Sanity depends on being able to see patterns in the world and symbols can be regarded as very complex patterns.

Jung elevated coincidence to a manifestation of the Collective Unconscious.

As for the chipped tooth sequence, mystic or not the coincidence is very satisfactory.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 08:38 pm
It's a scientific fact that stupid people aren't really any dumber, they just don't believe hard enough in the Collective Unconscious. When you believe hard enough, the information just flows into your head.
0 Replies